How the world should see riding two abreast!

Icycling

must say though, 2 abreast does make cyclists more visable,

but fear this mentality is far from the ave SA motorist.....

If you read the posts and comments below this it just shows you that it's not only 'thehub' that is full of zero logic aggression and disgruntled road users and cyclists with no view to ever listen to eachother and see eye to eye!

Haha, was literally about to post about this. Would make it so much safer for all cyclists. I almost get taken out on a daily basis by on coming traffic trying to over take and fit between myself and the car they trying to over take. I think the law in South Africa needs some updating, i mean its legal to ride any where on the left hand side of the rode (Yes most motorists don't actually know this) but you can't ride two abreast whilst still been on the left hand side. Doesn't make sense.

... and if we were all motorists and not cyclists then this would sound laughable. I know how I'd feel trying to get from A to B on a narrow road while stuck behind 2 cyclists at 30km/h :cursing:

It may be wishful thinking, but Imagine if all of us could get one basic concept right: Treat others the way you would like to be treated

So next time you hurl verbal abuse and give 1 fingered salutes to the motorist trying to squeeze past you when you're riding 2 abreast, think how you would feel if the roles were reversed.

I see there's currently a twitter fight discussion raging on about this:

https://twitter.com/...275282443358208

Christopher mans ‏@cwd_mans

@bicyclesafetysa @NelBertus what happened to single line? And then they cry if they get knocked down?

Bertus ‏@NelBertus 1h

@cwd_mans @bicyclesafetysa indeed, they have no respect for cars. If you hoot you get the finger. Won't be so lucky next time #hadenough

Christopher mans ‏@cwd_mans 45m

@bicyclesafetysa @NelBertus single line? Really ? pic.twitter.com/1CSFmtbIik

Johan Cilliers ‏@joeycycle 28m

@NelBertus @bicyclesafetysa @cwd_mans where was this?

WhatEver ‏@cyclist_the 27m

@cwd_mans @bicyclesafetysa @NelBertus You take pictures while driving and wail over cyclists? Maybe you should start thinking...

Juriaan Booysen ‏@juriaanbooysen 26m

@cwd_mans @bicyclesafetysa @NelBertus why are you taking cell pics whilst driving? 2 wrongs dont make a right.

Johan Cilliers ‏@joeycycle 26m

@cwd_mans @bicyclesafetysa @NelBertus it is just me or are all these pics taken from the drivers side of a moving vehicle?

Christopher mans ‏@cwd_mans 25m

@joeycycle @NelBertus @bicyclesafetysa daily in greed side jhb

@joeycycle @bicyclesafetysa @NelBertus yes it is and your point ?

Bertus ‏@NelBertus 23m

@juriaanbooysen @cwd_mans @bicyclesafetysa to show YOU the cyclist how it is NOT done.

Johan Cilliers ‏@joeycycle 23m

@cwd_mans @bicyclesafetysa @NelBertus thought point was obvious, but anyway, don't stoop to lawbreakers level

Bertus ‏@NelBertus 22m

@joeycycle @cwd_mans @bicyclesafetysa fact remains, they use half the road, and when u you hoot u get the finger. Couple times a week.

Christopher mans ‏@cwd_mans 21m

@joeycycle @bicyclesafetysa @NelBertus then follow the rules so I don't have to take pic's

Johan Cilliers ‏@joeycycle 19m

@NelBertus @cwd_mans @bicyclesafetysa true, unless there is absolutely no choice I wouldn't use a road without at least a yellow line

Christopher mans ‏@cwd_mans 19m

@Prog_Prog @bicyclesafetysa shows you the type of mentality you ****

Bertus ‏@NelBertus 18m

@joeycycle @cwd_mans @bicyclesafetysa no fighting, just RT - we as the motorist will eventually get fed up. We are Asking politly to move up

Bertus ‏@NelBertus 16m

@cyclist_the @cwd_mans @bicyclesafetysa lol, you must be one of them. We are showing U how they break the law yet you defend them?

Johan Cilliers ‏@joeycycle 14m

@NelBertus @cwd_mans @bicyclesafetysa I get fed up when I'm driving and not riding and someone does this,but not much you can do

Bertus ‏@NelBertus 13m

@joeycycle @cwd_mans @bicyclesafetysa take as ' we care' just a friendly reminder on how not to do it. Have some #consideration #peace out

WhatEver ‏@cyclist_the 12m

@cwd_mans @bicyclesafetysa @NelBertus Share the road - it's as simple as it sounds

Gareth Edwards ‏@GarethEdwardsSA 10m

Another cyclists VS motorist fight on Twitter: “@cwd_mans: @bicyclesafetysa @NelBertus what happened to single line?pic.twitter.com/IJBLkZ0cCM”

Christopher mans ‏@cwd_mans 9m

@cyclist_the @bicyclesafetysa @NelBertus pic.twitter.com/6oyU6ZaxgI

Christopher mans ‏@cwd_mans 8m

@GarethEdwardsSA @bicyclesafetysa @NelBertus just follow the law pic.twitter.com/5kCZEGRRzF

Craig de la Rey ‏@Prog_Prog 7m

@cwd_mans @cyclist_the @bicyclesafetysa @NelBertus IM PRETTY SURE YOU ARENT ALLOWED TO TAKE CELLPHONE PICS WHILE DRIVING TOO.

post-4329-0-53376300-1385464508_thumb.jpg

Edited by nathrix ® ©™

the guy in red at the back looks broad enough to cycle abreast by himself. The two guys a head of him are cycling abreast in the same amount of road. What is the driver going on about. After all the traffic light is green.

I have been cycling around Cape Town for years riding three abreast waiting for someone to take a photo of me in my kit and bike! No such luck as of yet! :P

The safer 2 abreast argument does not hold water for me. Not when there is no common respect between cyclists and drivers or for either grouping towards the law.

I see there's currently a twitter fight discussion raging on about this:

https://twitter.com/...275282443358208

Christopher mans ‏@cwd_mans

@bicyclesafetysa @NelBertus what happened to single line? And then they cry if they get knocked down?

Bertus ‏@NelBertus 1h

@cwd_mans @bicyclesafetysa indeed, they have no respect for cars. If you hoot you get the finger. Won't be so lucky next time #hadenough

Christopher mans ‏@cwd_mans 45m

@bicyclesafetysa @NelBertus single line? Really ? pic.twitter.com/1CSFmtbIik

Johan Cilliers ‏@joeycycle 28m

@NelBertus @bicyclesafetysa @cwd_mans where was this?

WhatEver ‏@cyclist_the 27m

@cwd_mans @bicyclesafetysa @NelBertus You take pictures while driving and wail over cyclists? Maybe you should start thinking...

Juriaan Booysen ‏@juriaanbooysen 26m

@cwd_mans @bicyclesafetysa @NelBertus why are you taking cell pics whilst driving? 2 wrongs dont make a right.

Johan Cilliers ‏@joeycycle 26m

@cwd_mans @bicyclesafetysa @NelBertus it is just me or are all these pics taken from the drivers side of a moving vehicle?

@joeycycle @NelBertus @bicyclesafetysa daily in greed side jhb

@joeycycle @bicyclesafetysa @NelBertus yes it is and your point ?

Bertus ‏@NelBertus 23m

@juriaanbooysen @cwd_mans @bicyclesafetysa to show YOU the cyclist how it is NOT done.

Johan Cilliers ‏@joeycycle 23m

@cwd_mans @bicyclesafetysa @NelBertus thought point was obvious, but anyway, don't stoop to lawbreakers level

Bertus ‏@NelBertus 22m

@joeycycle @cwd_mans @bicyclesafetysa fact remains, they use half the road, and when u you hoot u get the finger. Couple times a week.

Christopher mans ‏@cwd_mans 21m

@joeycycle @bicyclesafetysa @NelBertus then follow the rules so I don't have to take pic's

Johan Cilliers ‏@joeycycle 19m

@NelBertus @cwd_mans @bicyclesafetysa true, unless there is absolutely no choice I wouldn't use a road without at least a yellow line

Christopher mans ‏@cwd_mans 19m

@Prog_Prog @bicyclesafetysa shows you the type of mentality you ****

Bertus ‏@NelBertus 18m

@joeycycle @cwd_mans @bicyclesafetysa no fighting, just RT - we as the motorist will eventually get fed up. We are Asking politly to move up

Bertus ‏@NelBertus 16m

@cyclist_the @cwd_mans @bicyclesafetysa lol, you must be one of them. We are showing U how they break the law yet you defend them?

Johan Cilliers ‏@joeycycle 14m

@NelBertus @cwd_mans @bicyclesafetysa I get fed up when I'm driving and not riding and someone does this,but not much you can do

Bertus ‏@NelBertus 13m

@joeycycle @cwd_mans @bicyclesafetysa take as ' we care' just a friendly reminder on how not to do it. Have some #consideration #peace out

WhatEver ‏@cyclist_the 12m

@cwd_mans @bicyclesafetysa @NelBertus Share the road - it's as simple as it sounds

Gareth Edwards ‏@GarethEdwardsSA 10m

Another cyclists VS motorist fight on Twitter: “@cwd_mans: @bicyclesafetysa @NelBertus what happened to single line?pic.twitter.com/IJBLkZ0cCM”

Christopher mans ‏@cwd_mans 9m

@cyclist_the @bicyclesafetysa @NelBertus pic.twitter.com/6oyU6ZaxgI

Christopher mans ‏@cwd_mans 8m

@GarethEdwardsSA @bicyclesafetysa @NelBertus just follow the law pic.twitter.com/5kCZEGRRzF

Craig de la Rey ‏@Prog_Prog 7m

@cwd_mans @cyclist_the @bicyclesafetysa @NelBertus IM PRETTY SURE YOU ARENT ALLOWED TO TAKE CELLPHONE PICS WHILE DRIVING TOO.

Groan, another war and in the end of the day no resolution.

Where is Greedside ?

I can’t see any oncoming traffic in this picture so no reason why the driver of the vehicle can’t pass safely??

The safer 2 abreast argument does not hold water for me. Not when there is no common respect between cyclists and drivers or for either grouping towards the law.

Nothing holds water except the fact that South African motorists don't abide by the rules of the road.

They yield at stops and traffic lights, Taxis drop their passengers in the middle of an intersection, Taxis race down pavements mowing down pedestrians trying to pass all vehicles standing in a traffic jam.

People text, smoke and drive with one hand way above the speed limit because they just don't give a $h1T.

They cut corners and sway in to the racing line around a bend putting oncoming vehicles, motorcyclists and cyclists at risk.

In the end of the day it's actually really only common sense that should prevail.

The common sense that says "I am driving a chunk of metal that can kill innocent people and I should be more considerate and awake"

I don't care if 20 cyclists ride abreast, it still does not give anyone behind the wheel to do as they please.