Triathlon ......

JGR

Good idea - thanks!

Wish there was a couple of 70.3 distances to get some good rides in for IM... As far as I know it's basically Midlands Ultra and IM 70.3

Any road races where one can get some TT time in (ideally a "double like the 94.7...)

there are a couple of other ultra road events

Prestige ultra - oldest ultra distance tri in the country

Buffelspoort Ultra

Trirock - durban

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in Hyde Park - ride cradle most weekends. Riding MTB moddefontein this Sat and Sun at the cradle. Always space for more people! Cradle will be quiet this weekend... (no 94.7 last weekend training :P)

Thanks for the opeing, but I think my fitness levels are non-existent at the moment. Think there is quite a bit more training before I venture out to the Cradle. I will keep that in mind though. :thumbup:

Thanks for the opeing, but I think my fitness levels are non-existent at the moment. Think there is quite a bit more training before I venture out to the Cradle. I will keep that in mind though. :thumbup:

Well, we generally start from Something Country (near Kloofzight). From their you can do any number of distances.

Caves and back - 25km

Cradle loop - 30km

Caves + loop - 46.5km

You don't need to be a pro or über fit to ride at the cradle! Can do as little or as much as you want :thumbup:

What your guys take on doing Argus and IM? Will it impact my training as aiming for a sub 3hr Argus.

already entered Argus, bought flights etc

@Stiffy

What your guys take on doing Argus and IM? Will it impact my training as aiming for a sub 3hr Argus.

Hey bud. I am doing 70.3, argus, two oceans and IM. I don't think your argus will be affected. Choose what your goal is and focus on that. Fit the other stuff around that

Could any of the guys with good experience with IM please give some advice with regards training.

I am planning on starting the attached training plan on 5 Jan (14 weeks out from IM) (its a 12 week program, but starting 2 weeks earlier to give myself a bit of a buffer in case anything unforseen comes up and intereferes with the training.

The program requires a fairly dececnt starting level of fitness which I am at right now and just maintaining until then...

The program seems a little light, but I am prone to overtraining sometimes........what do you guys think?

http://mos.triradar.com/Training_Plans/12_Week_Ironman_Programme.pdf

Could any of the guys with good experience with IM please give some advice with regards training.

I am planning on starting the attached training plan on 5 Jan (14 weeks out from IM) (its a 12 week program, but starting 2 weeks earlier to give myself a bit of a buffer in case anything unforseen comes up and intereferes with the training.

The program requires a fairly dececnt starting level of fitness which I am at right now and just maintaining until then...

The program seems a little light, but I am prone to overtraining sometimes........what do you guys think?

http://mos.triradar....n_Programme.pdf

I would say start now... increase your base (I assume you are already fit as a 12 week plan isn't for beginners) over December and start the program in Jan. You should already be able to swim around 2km, bike for 3 (at a decent pace without resting) and run 15km or around an hour and a half in order for 12 weeks to be enough.

I would say start now... increase your base (I assume you are already fit as a 12 week plan isn't for beginners) over December and start the program in Jan. You should already be able to swim around 2km, bike for 3 (at a decent pace without resting) and run 15km or around an hour and a half in order for 12 weeks to be enough.

Sweet,

Yeah at present I am doing about 2.5km twice a week of swimming, 1 spin class and a 3hr-ish bike ride and about 2 hrs of running a week.

I am increasing that a little each week until just before Xmas, when I plan to do a "mock half IM" (as I cant get to EL to do the real one), then will rest up until 5 Jan when I kick off with the official 12 week program

Sounds like you're in good stead then! I'd try get some brick sessions in before the real training starts. Just 2-3km of 80% effort off the bike. Good luck man! We should do a weekend training ride sometime

Sounds like you're in good stead then! I'd try get some brick sessions in before the real training starts. Just 2-3km of 80% effort off the bike. Good luck man! We should do a weekend training ride sometime

Cool, yeah we should. Were are you based?

Hey Stiggy it seems I will be doing the Argus. Due to it being so close to IM I am trying to arrange the following:-

1. Nice easy 20km run the Saturday

2. Bike collection - the guy collecting my bike at the finish will hand me tekkies and I will do a 10km brick run right after my Argus race.

3. If time allowed it I would love to do a swim but the water is very cold in CT even with a wetsuit....

I'm not a fan of doing the Argus in a year that I've entered Ironman. Many miles of training (for 1 event) and a small crash at the Argus will bring that to an end. The batches at the Argus are too big and because everyone is going for sub-3, the group is usually very twitchy.

ito your legs, you will be fine. Argus is 110km in a pack. By then you will be doing 160km rides solo.

My suggestion is to do the Argus twice if you are there already. First lap to race and get a time, the second you can bail at red or black hill if it gets too crowded.

I just got the new Suunto 2s - anyone had experience with the apps? notably the power app?

HI JGR - have the Suunto Ambit 2. Love it but haven't tried any apps yet. Which power app are you talking about?

I think they are probably not accurate - too many variables from which they have to try calculate a power value... may try one out though for interest sake.

http://mos.triradar....n_Programme.pdf

dude, rather find a 20 week program at least, which is NOW - less than that and its going to be tough..

http://cdn.triathlete-europe.competitor.com/files/2012/06/Super-Simple-Ironman-Training-Plan.pdf