SA online bike shops, Part 4: Conclusion

Claudio

"There's always going to be an online site," says Chris of Chris Willemse Cycles. And this is true. The convenience of being able to browse bike components while doing other mundane things, like working, is too great to live without. Not to mention the fact that you don't have to settle with what your LBS has to offer, but can choose from a vastly greater selection of products. But one thing that South Africans will still struggle to get is the variety of products that Europe and the US have.

Click here to view the article

Guest DieBees

I agree.

There is not SA sites that have variety. Especially with bikes.

Chris Willemse is the best equipped and up to date online store that I am able to find.

had the pleasure of vising CRC in 2002, was way much smaller than it is now, but still a warehouse bgger than anything in SA.....

overseas players will always dominate to some extent as they have the numbers, like often is said good bike shops overseas stick more than some of our local suppliers.....

another issue is the still relatively high cost of delivery locally, overseas you can have the smallest item sent virtually overnight for very little or even free, I've had a few great experiences with CWC and Evo with free overnight delivery (spending over R1000) but then I've also paid another online shop R75 and waited 6 days......

My question to online shops is this: How do you address the issue of bike fit and apparel fit, which a customer has to try on for size before buying?

i have had great buying experience with Buycycle and Easybike... i like being able to browse for components, apparel etc, and at the same time able to do research and checkout reviews about the products being advertised.

i am a big fan of online, however; i still support my LBS.

i can agree with "Rock" with regards to delivery, although its 3rd party.

This discussion is not complete without mentioning Buycycle, who I believe are a portal to aforementioned distributors, and manage to offer a great range at reasonable prices.

This discussion is not complete without mentioning Buycycle, who I believe are a portal to aforementioned distributors, and manage to offer a great range at reasonable prices.

Would also love to hear easybike's take on the online thing...their pricing beats most online stores.

but is a slow process as they dont have the stock and merely order it from the actual distributor when you place the order on them,

Would also love to hear easybike's take on the online thing...their pricing beats most online stores.

I contacted both easybike and buycycle and neither of them got back to me in time, so it was solely based on who responded to me.

I contacted both easybike and buycycle and neither of them got back to me in time, so it was solely based on who responded to me.

hhmmmm.......why am I not surprised, they're not good at replying to emails it would seem.....

Pity....rate matthew and easybike crew. Very good pricing...and their site reflects accurate stock levels.

but is a slow process as they dont have the stock and merely order it from the actual distributor when you place the order on them,

Still worth the wait, to get a reasonable price locally without having to go on-line overseas. One issue though, if you want to return/swop out something, they are not obliging, although others like CWC are, no questions asked.

My question to online shops is this: How do you address the issue of bike fit and apparel fit, which a customer has to try on for size before buying?

Free returns if it doesn't fit. That's how many clothing stores do it e.g. Zando.

Free returns if it doesn't fit. That's how many clothing stores do it e.g. Zando.

But I think the only way those guys can afford to do that is the huge volumes of stuff they courier that make the rates cheaper and they are going for the long term to encourage more sales, the rates at which we buy bike gear is similar but not to the levels of girls and fashionable clothing...

But it would be nice online bike stores!!

I know it has encouraged me to spend more for things I'm uncertain about esp clothing fit, peace of mind you can send it back, normally stuff fits so it's a win for the online store. It definitely increases sales.

Zando has it nailed. Not only is it a free return, they organise the courier to come and collect it. Makes the whole buying clothing online proposition relatively risk-free.

Hennie (director at BuyCycle), did ask for a follow up article to be done & would like to give the BuyCycle side of the online story. Unfortunately more pressing affairs had his time tied up (MTB events, etc.).