Work in Australia or London

deca300

Hi guys..

I would like to get some opinions, I know there are a few people on there that were lucky enough to do this.

After school I went to university and then started my first job right after..

Now I regret that, I am 28 now, am I too old to go work in another country?

I would like to go for a year in Australia or London.. I know they are very different places.

Did any of you do this? What was the experience? perhaps older people that did this?

Can you travel a bit and still save a decent amount of money for when you come back?

Any feedback on this would be much appreciated.

You are in a better position now as hopefully you have valuable work experience and can find meaningful employment.

Check the Oz government sites for careers in demand.

Hi guys..

I would like to get some opinions, I know there are a few people on there that were lucky enough to do this.

I would like to go for a year in Australia or London.. I know they are very different places.

Did any of you do this? What was the experience? perhaps older people that did this?

Can you travel a bit and still save a decent amount of money for when you come back?

28 and Single No Kids ?

Of course you can.

Foreign exchange in the back pocket can be a great thing, and if your single willing to live cheaply i.e. don't need a huge house to live in and don't have dependents living with you then the odds are in your favor.

Guest Latent Blue

Hi guys..

Buddy of mine went to the USA directly after school. His parent were quite poor and weren't too well off.

He worked as a common labourer on a farm. He worked his way up to a farm manager in 2 years. Made some money, saved it all.

He came back after 5 years. Bought his parent a house and himself an education.

He is a petrochemical engineer for SASOL now...

Can turn out well if you work hard...

Hi guys..

What are your current qualifications and what kind of work are you looking for? What passport do you have?

Go work for a year in HK, you will not regret it. I did it when I was 28, it was one of the best years of my life!

Hi guys..

Your never too old, my Dad went to go work in the States in his mid 50's for a couple of years and he loved it.

London is a great city, centre of global culture, so much happening there. Also easy access to Europe for get-aways, visas permitting.

Otherwise, Singapore is another great city-(state) also easy access to the Far East

I would not consider you to old to do it,I was older than you and also decieded I needed a change.

I went to the UK for what I called a working holiday.Thay have tightened up the boarder control so you will have to do the paperwork.

I would not consider you to old to do it,I was older than you and also decieded I needed a change.

I went to the UK for what I called a working holiday.Thay have tightened up the boarder control so you will have to do the paperwork.

The working holiday visa got replaced by the Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme, which South Africans cannot take part in.

It's now difficult to just up and work in the UK for a year. You'd most likely have to go in on a General Tier 2 visa which means you'll need to have secured employment and a sponsoring company before you leave. The admin and costs associated with sponsorship make it unlikely that a company will take you on for only a year.

You can see what UK visas you can qualify for here:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator

Unless you have access to a British Passport: that will make life working & travelling a lot easier in many countries

Otherwise there is the UK Hereditary visa, if your grandparent was a Brit, its a bit easier but they make it clear you are not wanted, regardless.

Other option is a study visa. I did a year in London doing an MSc, held down a few part time jobs, it was a great year but eish I was skint (but happy)

Just be careful, you may not get a job when you return. You will probably be over 30 by then. Government is offering tax incentives for employers to employ people under 30.

Unless you have a scarce skill, companies would probably prefer to employ a 28 year old and get a tax break than employ a 30 year old and not get a tax break.

London, better access to Europe.

To add, there are more then enough Ozzies in London for you to get the Australian experience anyway.

Edited by Caerus

Hi guys..

If you find an awesome job why come back? My brother went overseas when he turned 21, he is currently still there and got applied for his UK citizenship now. He currently have an awesome job as an IT Manager at a very large firm....

Reason I'm asking about Middle East - the experience you gain is very good, and in general, looks good on the C.V. Salary is very good too, and is tax free, so no lining the coffers of J.Z.

There are a lot of jobs open in the area, as it is expanding rapidly. I'm currently in Kuwait, chef, and I honestly cant complain about much.