Work in Australia or London

deca300

My son went over to the USA when he was 21 on holiday still there after 19 years - USA citisen now - and only now planning to get married. Accumulated all the toys, a house and did all the amazing things he could muster before deciding to get hitched - so do it now while you can

I did it when I was twenty eight, best thing I ever did. Came back 14 years later. Saw the world, gained real first world experience, realized that there was more to the world than our little corner.

If you are good at what you do, you will find a job when you get back. If you can't, then start a business, but never allow fear to keep you tied down.

Do it! I moved back to SA at 29 from the States, with the plan to stay for two years max. Almost three years later and I'm busy buying a house here! The experience that you can gain working overseas is well worth the effort. A lot of places if you're willing to work hard, and not fussy about what jobs you do, you can definitely make it work. I worked at a gas station for 1.5 years, but it was a job that paid well. And then waitressing put me through college. And you're still young enough that in the unlikely event it doesn't work out, you can come back and start over.

And there are places all over the world that are looking for workers, the Middle East was an option that I was exploring, and I have a few friends that work in Singapore, so also try to keep your options open in that respect.

Where ever you do decide to go though, definitely look up expat groups on facebook or meetup in whatever area you're considering and talk to other South Africans about their experiences, and find out what some of the things are that they would do differently. You can save yourself a lot of time and hassles upfront.

I've got three mates that have just gone to the UK in the last year or so, 2 to work and one to study. They all however had EU passports so it's much easier for them, all in early 30s.

If you have the opportunity GO. It's the best growing up experience, even if you don't gain financially, the experience itself is IMO priceless.

I only spent 9 months in the UK but the lessons learned have made me a tougher cookie :)

Edited by Uni

When I was a student the 1-2 year working holiday (mostly in the UK) was what most people did. I think that opened people's eyes to expat living. South Africans are late starters to the expat "game" but has since managed to spread themselves to just about every corner of the world. It's not only school/varsity leavers who goes working abroad these days. I left when I was 29.

It depends on where you can get a Visa. Australia is really tough right now. Unless the economy is booming and there is a huge skills shortage, its tough to get a company willing to sponsor a visa when they can find the skills locally. I would try the middle east where pretty much all skills are imported and the pay is really good.

Pm me if you need details for a company that hires from all over the world.... flights paid for, from and to SA, medical, and decent salaries.

Go and do both. I did, and older than you too.

Will never regret it. Only regret I have (but not too much) is that I didn't give New York a go...