Do you think cycling is becoming the new golf, for business reasons?

F111

Like Facebook going private (owners selling equity to private investors)

or Microsoft buying out Nokia

or (locally) Walmart buying Massmart?

So, three deals bigger than that then?

I thought you were going AWOL huh :whistling:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys its a awesome network place to find business over a sweaty ride. I am busy putting a deal together on a 500 mil project just by meeting contacts on a bike. If the deal go threw the company cant say no to sponsoring me on all the rides I wanna do.

Guys its a awesome network place to find business over a sweaty ride. I am busy putting a deal together on a 500 mil project just by meeting contacts on a bike. If the deal go threw the company cant say no to sponsoring me on all the rides I wanna do.

Ja but did you let the client beat you???

Surely Golf is far better suited to corporate networking.

You are tended to by lackeys who chauffeur you around and do everything but take your shot for you, in the middle of a colonised piece of natural environment, which has had all the character drained out of it in order to make it suitable for those who can afford it, to enjoy the fresh air whilst playing with their balls.

No Definitely not. don't like kissing butt. haha

There's your problem. Let them win. It might become R1M...

stories like this will make me stop riding a bike........

in fact I don't ride a mountain bike cos its juts not the same anymore......not like the 90's......

You obviously didn't come ride the Eselfontein this last weekend MTBing old school style.

I think everyone is confusing 2 crucial elements here. Doing business and networking are 2 different things. Cycling and golf has its own place in business.

Back in the day execs were fat guys who visited the office twice a week to make the do or die decisions (and played golf the rest of the time). The culture of business has changed. Now execs are balanced individuals that train in some way or form at least 3 times a week and are visible at the office when not chasing deals.

Cycling is great for networking. People meet out on morning rides or at a congested race etc....You will meet a lot more people through cycling than golf.

Golf is great for doing business. 4 execs together on the course with no-one within 50m of your detailed discussion. This is where you build that personal relationship with the banter and left field compliments. Then sign the contracts on the 19th.

Cycling isn't replacing golf in business it is merely complimenting it.

Surely Golf is far better suited to corporate networking.

You are tended to by lackeys who chauffeur you around and do everything but take your shot for you, in the middle of a colonised piece of natural environment, which has had all the character drained out of it in order to make it suitable for those who can afford it, to enjoy the fresh air whilst playing with their balls.

Don't like golf...??

stories like this will make me stop riding a bike........

in fact I don't ride a mountain bike cos its juts not the same anymore......not like the 90's......

It can be whatever you make it .... I don't let my riding be influenced by whatever others think or do :whistling:

Edited by NotSoBigBen

Don't like golf...??

Wonderful game - my dog loves it. We are regulars at Clovelly. I don't play but she has almost got a hole in one a couple of times. She gets her arse perfectly positioned, but there's no-one to remove that stupid flag.

I suck at golf. When I go to the driving range I can hit 100 balls where I want them, but on the golf course its a different story I have not played golf for 2 years.

I'm in sales - but my Golf sucks. I'd love to take a client out on a Ride or two. Just never want to take a client FOR a ride...

;)

MTN Tour of Legends has this sort of "business while mountain biking idea"

Wonderful game - my dog loves it. We are regulars at Clovelly. I don't play but she has almost got a hole in one a couple of times. She gets her arse perfectly positioned, but there's no-one to remove that stupid flag.

LOL

The only time I visit Clovelly is on my way to Ou Wa Pad....which has not been for a while

My most disliked golf course is Westlake.Right in the way of what would be a most convenient tunnel