LBS: We have a 5 % handling fee on returns.

lone.*

It is my understanding that there is a 5% charge attached to each card transaction that the vendor has to carry. Most shops will ask you if you paid by card or cash.and will refund you accordingly.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my view, if i swipe my cc i will accept 5% cause thats what the shop is charged there is no reason for the shop to be "out of pocket" on my behalf,,,,,,AND I WOULD ACTUALLY INSIST ON IT

as i have always said i support 3 shops for different reasons,,,none of my 3 shops will charge me 5% handling iF I PAID

CASH,,,,again my LBS wont charge me that BECAUSE I MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE IN LBS :clap: :clap:

So he absorbed that cost? I was refunded the full amount. That's good service then.

CORRECT,,,,,GOOD SERVICE BAD BUSINESS FOR HIM IF THE PARTS WERE R20K HE IS DOWN R1K

Edited by dipslick

Most of them are, followed by the "best deal" brigade followed closely by the "I had been loyal to you" brigade.

Their loyalty only stretches as far as to how cheap they can get what they are looking for.

There are loads of bike shops that are losing out daily and on the verge of shutting down, some of these places have really good staff and mechanics and being smaller businesses the owners generally are quite honest and stick to the RRP as close as possible.

Being a smaller entity they often offer a discount as well as their overheads are not as big as the corporates or monopolizing entities out there.

People get so clouded by price, good deals and bargains that they will go through life endlessly complaining about the poor service they get all the time.

I am one of those, the price I see is the price I pay, no haggling, if the price I see does not gel with me, I go elsewhere.

But back to topic at hand.

OP. if you payed by card and they refunded you with cash, accept it as such, most retailers will do the same, they have to pay the bank a commission fee on all c/card transactions.

I'm from Durban. Some of the haggling bit has rubbed off on me unfortunately.

Depending on the situation though, I may be tempted to make an offer if the price is clearly above the average market value. However, like you said, if the price is too high, I'll walk away. I won't go tell the world that that someone tried to rip me off though.

It is my understanding that there is a 5% charge attached to each card transaction that the vendor has to carry. Most shops will ask you if you paid by card or cash.and will refund you accordingly.

Depends on the card and the arrangement/agreement with the bank/bulk, varies from 2%+, can be much more for Amex and Diners Club.

If you paid by card, you should get refunded by card, otherwise the retailer will loose out.

I returned some car parts the other day, and the dealer swiped my CC and I was refunded that way. Did the dealer get his bank fee paid back to him in that case?

Correct, there is no charge as the money did not stay in the account.

**Edit**

Provided the money did not go though the account, we have had this before, but as Dipslick points out, yes there will be a fee to the seller.

Edited by Wyatt Earp

Correct, there is no charge as the money did not stay in the account.

**Edit**

Provided the money did not go though the account, we have had this before, but as Dipslick points out, yes there will be a fee to the seller.

The money probably did move around cause it was a few weeks between the original purchase and me taking the parts back.

I had to buy a press-fit Shimano BB the other day (for the first time) and got the best price at cycle lab centurion. I even received the correct part first time, which impressed me to no end. I did not ask for the part # directly, but gave enough clues. I have to give credit to Wyatt who made me aware of all the press-fit possibilities beforehand. And I fitted the BB with a rubber hammer, apparently that is not the way to do it.

But if the transaction is reversed, will there still be a charge?

This goes back to the original post. If the OP was given the wrong product despite specifying what he needed, as he claimed, should he be subject to a charge?

But if the transaction is reversed, will there still be a charge?

This goes back to the original post. If the OP was given the wrong product despite specifying what he needed, as he claimed, should he be subject to a charge?

Not sure about the charges. As mentioned, if the money hasn't moved through the account, then there should be no charge, otherwise the vendor will carry the cost as an act of goodwill. The vendor has the right to charge the 5% if it is a return because then he is out of pocket for the sale as well as the 5%. I am sure that the 5% is included in the mark up somewhere even if it is averaged out over all potential sales.

Bit like the 2,5% early settlement "discount" that you are offered on some items. That 2,5% is worked into the original costing. You don't get squat for free nowadays. Pretty sure the vendor accounts for the 5% charge somewhere along the line...

If he specified what he needed, he would have been able to identify the incorrect product when he was given it, By his own admission he was unaware of the difference between the SRAM and Shimano products which leads me to believe that he didn't really know what he wanted in the first place besides the fact that he needed a new BB.

Heaven help him when it comes time to buy hubs (135/142) or even something simple like a derailleur (long, medium or short cage, type 2 or not...)

Not sure I am seeing the problem here... You bought an item. Realised that it was the wrong spec when you got home. Took it back to swap it. The LBS owner checked that everything was in the box as per the way it was delivered by the supplier so that he could sell it again and gave you the correct item. The shop policy is to charge a 5% "handling fee" (read school fees) on any returns which was waived as it didn't really apply. You made a mistake and the shop forgave you and helped you fix your mistake.

Sounds like you are one of the "I pay your salary!" brigade.

Get over it. You aren't out of pocket. You got your BB. If you knew what you wanted then you would have picked up the mistake as soon as you held it in your hand. Next time maybe leave the job to someone that knows what they are doing.

#Justsaying

He did say to the sales guy he had a SHIMANO crank and was provided with a SRAM one.

SO... shop made a mistake but wants to charge buyer 5% for shops mistake??

To even mention the 5% handling fee was a d%%5 move by the owner

Not sure about the charges. As mentioned, if the money hasn't moved through the account, then there should be no charge, otherwise the vendor will carry the cost as an act of goodwill. The vendor has the right to charge the 5% if it is a return because then he is out of pocket for the sale as well as the 5%. I am sure that the 5% is included in the mark up somewhere even if it is averaged out over all potential sales.

Bit like the 2,5% early settlement "discount" that you are offered on some items. That 2,5% is worked into the original costing. You don't get squat for free nowadays. Pretty sure the vendor accounts for the 5% charge somewhere along the line...

If he specified what he needed, he would have been able to identify the incorrect product when he was given it, By his own admission he was unaware of the difference between the SRAM and Shimano products which leads me to believe that he didn't really know what he wanted in the first place besides the fact that he needed a new BB.

Heaven help him when it comes time to buy hubs (135/142) or even something simple like a derailleur (long, medium or short cage, type 2 or not...)

:thumbup:

Hence why I said, as he claimed.

He did say to the sales guy he had a SHIMANO crank and was provided with a SRAM one.

SO... shop made a mistake but wants to charge buyer 5% for shops mistake??

To even mention the 5% handling fee was a d%%5 move by the owner

However, the shop DIDN'T charge him 5% and swapped the item for him. The 5% handling fee is on returns which is justified IMO (To cover the vendor being charged the 5% for the transaction). There is a difference between a return and an exchange.

Edit: As far as the owner mentioning the 5%, we have no idea what was said between the two. The OP may have said that he would like to return the item in which case the mention of the 5% would be justified I think.

Edited by Grebel

Sorry Lone.* but I think you are over reacting here.

The LBS did not have to exchange the product for you.

You bought the product and saw what you got before walking out of the shop.

He did you a favor in exchanging the product for you, (he didn't have to do that)

So if he wants to charge a handling fee / admin fee he has the right to do that.

Would love to see how you substantiate your statements with actual facts and relevant regulations. I assume you can do that?

However, the shop DIDN'T charge him 5% and swapped the item for him. The 5% handling fee is on returns which is justified IMO (To cover the vendor being charged the 5% for the transaction). There is a difference between a return and an exchange.

Edit: As far as the owner mentioning the 5%, we have no idea what was said between the two. The OP may have said that he would like to return the item in which case the mention of the 5% would be justified I think.

ummm... they didn't have stock of the item he needed, so got a refund.