LBS: We have a 5 % handling fee on returns.

lone.*

ummm... they didn't have stock of the item he needed, so got a refund.

My apologies. I see he did get a refund. I suppose he can count himself lucky then.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But if the transaction is reversed, will there still be a charge?

This goes back to the original post. If the OP was given the wrong product despite specifying what he needed, as he claimed, should he be subject to a charge?

A full refund back into the credit card used for the initial purchase, will reverse both the transaction & commission charge, so LBS could not use this as excuse for a 5% handling fee. If they know what they are doing they should not refund cash on credit card transactions at all. Many businesses become very neurotic about card commission ( usually between 2 and 6%) they pay to the card merchants, but forget about the high costs associated with banking cash and cheques!

:offtopic: Then there are also a few that think it is OK to "discriminate" between cash, cheque and credit card customers by advertising different cash and credit card pricing. This is in total contravention of their credit card merchants agreement.

But I somehow don't think the handling fee in this instance relates to commission or bank charges .............................

I had to buy a press-fit Shimano BB and got the best price at cycle lab centurion.

I have to give credit to Wyatt who made me aware of all the press-fit possibilities beforehand.

BG, I see that Wyatt liked your post, so he does not seem to be unhappy with your action. One genuine question I would have is why not buy it from Wyatt in the first instance ?

A full refund back into the credit card used for the initial purchase, will reverse both the transaction & commission charge, so LBS could not use this as excuse for a 5% handling fee. If they know what they are doing they should not refund cash on credit card transactions at all. Many businesses become very neurotic about card commission ( usually between 2 and 6%) they pay to the card merchants, but forget about the high costs associated with banking cash and cheques!

:offtopic: Then there are also a few that think it is OK to "discriminate" between cash, cheque and credit card customers by advertising different cash and credit card pricing. This is in total contravention of their credit card merchants agreement.

But I somehow don't think the handling fee in this instance relates to commission or bank charges .............................

Thanks for the info! I always laugh when we get customers in the shop I help out at on weekends. We often get asked for a cash discount, then the customer pulls out a debit card and says "it's just like cash".

Oh FFS, another person who thinks businesses should do business for free (as long as its not theirs)...... GO COMMUNISM!

Go do the CPA thing for your 5% if it makes you feel better.

Oh FFS, another person who thinks businesses should do business for free (as long as its not theirs)...... GO COMMUNISM!

Go do the CPA thing for your 5% if it makes you feel better.

No one said anything about doing business for free.

You know what fuggit, aint nobody got time for this ****

BG, I see that Wyatt liked your post, so he does not seem to be unhappy with your action. One genuine question I would have is why not buy it from Wyatt in the first instance ?

Wyatt sells specialized stuff and I ride unspecialized Shimano. I appreciate his sharing of knowledge and he knows I will return sometime in the future for more business, even if it is for something trivial. He did offer to find me the correct part if I did not come right elsewhere.

As a retailer of 20 odd years, returns do happen, suck it up or lose the customer, i cannot think of any customer i would ever have charged a handling fee to return anything, as long as it is in original packaging and not destroyed. Be reasonable.

Please name the shop as i would like to avoid it in the future.

Thanks for the info! I always laugh when we get customers in the shop I help out at on weekends. We often get asked for a cash discount, then the customer pulls out a debit card and says "it's just like cash".

Debit cards are different as far as i know, the customer pays the commission but this may vary.

We retail computer goods, I know its not kosher but we ask the type of payment before quoting because gross margins are so tight, 10% if you are lucky. Apple products: 5%

No such thing as 5% handling fee.

Hes probably got "No Refunds on Sale Items" as well in his shop?

or 3 months warranty only..bla bla bla etc etc etc

Lay a complaint with the CPA...they will suss his place out and advise to remove those signs and give him a copy of the CPA agreement

Those type of shops rely on the % factor that the customer never complains like a lot of restaurants...

Just a quick question.

Did you pay by credit card and they gave you cash back ?

Cycle Lab charges you the 5% handling fee before you have even taken the part out the shop because they are 10-15% more expensive than other cycle shops.

I feel if you did not take the crank as well as your frame into the shop so that the assistant can actually check if all parts fit then it's your mistake because you could have given him the wrong info. You might have tried to force the bb into the frame and damage the part and then you return it and they lose money because of your negligence.

I get CPA and "the customer is king" BUT people abuse that right/term and that is why they charge 5%.

Stipulated an Shimano XT crank and showed them the sample bearing for the frame. Press fit bearings. The diameter of SRAM and Shimano cranks differ quite a bit. I phoned them on my way home way before I tried to put it in the frame. SRAM bearings must by 5 mm bigger in diameter and will never fit in the frame. All shimano

Stipulated an Shimano XT crank and showed them the sample bearing for the frame. *

And then you took whatever back, and they refunded you. What's your issue? I mean why this thread? You asked for something, got given the wrong bit, you took it back and they checked it was all there and then refunded you. Why are you so distraught?

Edited by Cellar

And then you took whatever back, and they refunded you. What's your issue? I mean why this thread? You asked for something, got given the wrong bit, you took it back and they checked it was all there and then refunded you. Why are you so distraught?

The fact that they originally wanted to charge him a 5% handling fee.

Not sure I am seeing the problem here... You bought an item. Realised that it was the wrong spec when you got home. Took it back to swap it. The LBS owner checked that everything was in the box as per the way it was delivered by the supplier so that he could sell it again and gave you the correct item. The shop policy is to charge a 5% "handling fee" (read school fees) on any returns which was waived as it didn't really apply. You made a mistake and the shop forgave you and helped you fix your mistake.

Sounds like you are one of the "I pay your salary!" brigade.

Get over it. You aren't out of pocket. You got your BB. If you knew what you wanted then you would have picked up the mistake as soon as you held it in your hand. Next time maybe leave the job to someone that knows what they are doing.

#Justsaying

Wrong incorrect item supplied.

The fact that they originally wanted to charge him a 5% handling fee.

Which may or may not be their right, and then the didn't. Why the tears? I'd be like "awesome bike shop, they wanted this 5% thingy, but then didn't charge me, I'm deffo's going back there..."

Wrong incorrect item supplied.

Or wrong item asked for? Tell us the shop name, lets us go ask the owner's side of this fairy tale.

Dude, you paid for it, and walked out the shop with it. At some point do you accept that everyone else doesn't have to spoon feed you, and that you are responsible for your life?

Edited by Cellar