So starts my new 27.5 build

Izak

Thanks for the review! @ sub 11kg's, it's not bad imo. I ride a sub 11 26" dual so to get 27.5 below that is going to cost many mandela's.

Not sure if it was menioned before, what bike did you come from, 26/29, HT/Dual etc.

Being a lil person, i think the 27.5 wheelsize is going to suit me best ;)

I came from 26er but am not that small I am 1.8m tall but so far this bike just really suits me even on the tight stuff.

Leaving for the Karoo tomorrow morning so will give more feedback when I return.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Red Barn:

As this was the first time on the bike and also my first time at Red Barn, I was expecting to struggle since it's a new wheel size etc.

I was amazed at how quickly I was feeling confident on this rig. After about ten minutes I was pushing through berms and flowing through the single track areas with ease and confidence.

Since I had never been there all the trails were new to me, I even attempted and nailed all the black sections with relative ease.

The two things that really stood out for me both had to do with the wheels I suppose. The amount of traction is amazing. Even when going through tight technical sections and standing up to get some power going there were no spinning on the rear and acceleration was immediate. Through the tight and twisty stuff she really just sucked into the corners and no dipping on the front end either. Probably also because I was more confident and did not have to touch brakes most of the time.

I found myself wanting to go back to quickly make an adjustment or two but every time I saw the signage back to the barn I took the next turn onto another trail.

To summarize: Loads of traction and nice stiff reactive ride. Shocks need some more fine tuning but that will come.

I am pleasantly surprised at how nimble she felt!!

Hello.my name is Mário, i´m from Portugal and i´m very interested in this frame. how is it holding up?I´ve read that the frame takes a 165mm shock but only has 108mm rear travel.is this right?do you find yourself needing more travel on the descents?

best regards

Hello.my name is Mário, i´m from Portugal and i´m very interested in this frame. how is it holding up?I´ve read that the frame takes a 165mm shock but only has 108mm rear travel.is this right?do you find yourself needing more travel on the descents?

best regards

Hi Mario

The bike is holding up really well. Nice and stiff and very responsive in turns.

I've not yet bottomed it out and it really does not seem like an issue especially since I am using it mainly as a XC bike.

I think if you want to do more trail riding you will need to go for something else. However I have had it on serious single track and some smaller drop offs at speed and have not had any problems whatsoever.

My main love for this bike comes from how well it rolls and how easily it switches from a fast descent section onto a technical climb.

Really does climb extremely well on open roads as well as tight technical stuff. This obviously has a lot to do with the wheel size as well but I think the frame handles everything I throw at it really well.

I would like to take it out and bash some more serious drop offs but then again that is not really what I built it for and use my 120mm Stevens for that.

My average speeds (on the same trails) have gone up by almost 4 km / h. I am a lot fitter but still the bike makes it easy.

It really gives confidence straight away.

Hi. Looks like a decent bike! What was the frame cost??

Got it for between 7k and 8k delivered with a few extra small bits and pieces.

• 4 weeks later...

Got it for between 7k and 8k delivered with a few extra small bits and pieces.

Hi there ... did that include the rear shock?

Hi there ... did that include the rear shock?

Nope frame and two headsets and two sets of RD hangers.

No Jeez I wish, that shock is a few grand on it's own ;)

so how has she been treating you since you have been riding her for sometime now?

so how has she been treating you since you have been riding her for sometime now?

Awesome bike so far has really improved my riding. But that also has a lot to do with my own training and also the obvious step up in wheel size has made a big difference for me.

Took me to my first MTB podium last week ;)

post-13721-0-49675800-1396534762_thumb.jpg

Awesome bike so far has really improved my riding. But that also has a lot to do with my own training and also the obvious step up in wheel size has made a big difference for me.

Took me to my first MTB podium last week ;)

Its a thing of beauty !!!

Enjoy the many miles ahead

• 5 months later...

Hi Izak,

Love your bike, so much so that seriously considering getting the same frame.

Is the FD a top clamp or bottom clamp (the crank is obscuring it in all the photos

Thanks

Bruce

Hi Izak,

Love your bike, so much so that seriously considering getting the same frame.

Is the FD a top clamp or bottom clamp (the crank is obscuring it in all the photos

Thanks

Bruce

Hi Bruce

Thanks man!

It's a direct mount ;)