MTB for under R8K

HowellingWulf

'sup Hubbers.

Mates of mine want to get into mountain biking. They are looking at spending about 8 gorillas ZAR on a bike. What brands should they be looking at? They are complete novices so no need to fool them with all the 29er, 27.5/650b'er techno mumbo-jumbo. Also, no need for big name brands where 80% of the value goes towards the name as opposed to quality of components. Axis? Titan? Entry level Momsem's? What else?

There are some nice bikes in the classifieds :)

True that, but would prefer it if they were to get some shop assistance wrt sizing etc as opposed to some oke pulling wool over their eyes to make the sale since he only has one bike in his inventory.

Silverback

Cool thanks.

Seems like the Vida3, Spetra1 & Slade3 could all be could options. All options a lot of bike for the money. Leaning more towards the Vida3.

MOMSEN... hehe great value for money and the frames are good geometry for fun riders and people who want to take if a bit further...

Merida is also great starter like the Silverbacks and Mongoose bikes. You can also pick up some GT and Gaints for that price.

Measure yourself, go to a bike shop and tell them you want to feel how it sits, etc. Then make up your mind :P

I'm with hvh and ScottC-M, if it were my money, it would be a Momsen AL229 :thumbup: If you or your mates are in Jhb, I recently heard that there is a bike shop in Fourways area, Bicycle-Trader.com and they are currently offering 10% off all NEW bikes - valid for the months of November & December 2013. May be worth a look-see?

Plenty of help on web for sizing.

Go second hand you will get twice the bike for half the price.

Another option is to now look around for "last" years (even 2012) models - some serious discounts

2014 models being released now.

Edited by porqui

Plenty of help on web for sizing.

Go second hand you will get twice the bike for half the price.

Another option is to now look around for "last" years (even 2012) models - some serious discounts

Deffo, heaps of sale offers going in to the chrimbo period.

or be a good mate, help with the sizing, go see a few second hand bikes with him / her, help pick out a few from the honest and friendly hubbers classifieds until you find the right one. You know your stuff I'd imagine.