License plate blocking by Thule Bike rack

kees21

Good day

Want to buy a Thule towbar hitch ( http://www.thule.com/en/hr/products/carriers-and-racks/bike-carriers/towbar-mounted-bike-carriers/thule-hangon-972-_-972000) but I have a concern that the licence plate would be blocked if I fit the bikes on the rack.

I assume that the traffic blokes can give you a hard time if an object obstructs your license plate.

Just wondering if this is a big issue and if so, what's the best solution? I can't be the first one to have this concern.

Thanks

I have been warned twice and got away with it twice..I figured I was chancing my luck for a third time so went and got a spare number plate

Yes I believe any obstruction of Number plate = R 500.00 fine on the spot.

You can't argue your way out of that one with the Oom Polizei...

Yes I believe any obstruction of Number plate = R 500.00 fine on the spot.

You can't argue your way out of that one with the Oom Polizei...

Oh yes you can :whistling:

Guest Omega Man

The traffic cops WILL fine you if they pull you over and your license plate is not visible. They fined me once because they couldn't read my plate cos it was full of mud from a weekend of 4x4ing.

Like Chain-L said get another plate made and get it attached to your rack/bikes. Getting a new plate is cheaper than the fine.

Edited by Omega Man

Not only blocking plates but blocking lights are as much of a problem.

Friend got fined and ended up having plate and lights fitted on a board and connected to trailor light plug

Oh yes you can :whistling:

Then you have had more fortune than me my friend. My towbar was halfway in front of one of the letters and just short of begging, he still fined me :(

• 4 weeks later...

Midas sells a trailer board. Buy the thule clips that fits into thule rack. A few nuts and bolts and some drilling required to join the 2 together. Cost me under R800. Works well. I shortend the light cable as it was way too long

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a tailboard from a place in Paarl, Trailer Solutions, but not including the number plate. Still, it was less than R500. I'll also have to shorten the cable and make it a bit more user friendly to tie behind the bikes.