Jonkershoek - what a gem

Headshot

Well not quite but almost. I rode there this weekend - my third ride this year and the only one when it hasnt been raining.

Wow is all I can say. The 8 km slog up to the neck is worth it - so much well built singletrack, so much flow and interesting bits to test you and yet quite ridable for people with moderate skills. The canaries have a bit of everything for all skill levels.

We also tackled the WP DH course, not realising it until we had got half way down. Again, beautifully built and surviving pretty well despite the exposure and heavy rain we've had this year. For every big feature there's three smaller ones. The bermed corner with catch fencing and 60 deg "get back and hang" on descent sections are amazing. My wife managed to ride most of it on her Zula.

Then theres that 1 km loop near the dam. Hardly any gradient but it just flows over rocks and between trees - you hardly notice the pedaling. Awesome fun. You just need time to do all teh trails because the place is big!

I am thinking of moving to Stellenbosch :-)

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was going to ride this sunday, but was told the road was blocked.

Have'nt ridden Jonkers again since the fire, so I'm keen to try soon

And then of course there is the Fire trail - and the massive new line Hylton and Bennett collaborated on, which is beyond epic, running all the way from just under the Saaltjie to the Slangpad flowtrail near the car park.

Peculiarity? It never appears to get crowded. A phenomenal resource, the 'Hoek.

That absence of people is amazing - but its a huge area and not close to the city which explains it I suppose. The first segment of the dh course looks as if it hasnt been ridden for weeks. Sticks and stones eveywhere as well as a pack of baboons and two dogs after them, all half way up the mountain.

Missed the new track because we didnt know where to look - will just have to make another trip asap.

Eldest son of some good friends is going to University there next year, I have told him to make sure he takes his mtb along,

Eldest son of some good friends is going to University there next year, I have told him to make sure he takes his mtb along,

if he is doing engineering, he can forget his has a life, much less ride a bike.. poor sod..

if he is doing engineering, he can forget his has a life, much less ride a bike.. poor sod..

Not really, a couple of elite riders in engineering

Nah, BA ... I warned him against Engineering.

Nah, BA ... I warned him against Engineering.

Im studying engineering at Stellenbosch currently AND have plenty of time riding my bike :clap: More than enough time.... problem comes in with the Wijn, haha

Engineering hard, but one of the few careers you can actually still find a job with current South African workforce quotas :whistling:

Engineering hard, but one of the few careers you can actually still find a job with current South African workforce quotas :whistling:

Oh yes I know, I still have nightmares over numerical methods :o I did Wits Elec Eng back in its heyday.

My point to this lad was you need 100% commitment to do Engineering, and you must be sure its what you want to do. The BA he is going to do has something to do with Town Planning, he was originally thinking of Civil Eng, but wasn't sure.

Guest Omega Man

Guy's I hate to break up your nerdfest but can we get back to how awesome Jonkers is please?

Or I can start going on about writing financial reports and workflow in Sharepoint if you'd like to fall asleep immediately.

Im studying engineering at Stellenbosch currently AND have plenty of time riding my bike :clap: More than enough time.... problem comes in with the Wijn, haha

hahha lucky sod. seems they've diluted the courses since i've been there :P

which stream you in?