Ninety Niner Cycle Tour

Pure Savage

I saw that the entries for this event opened yesterday and that this year it will be 99km route, compared to last 109km odd.

I have had a look at the route map and done a alt-tab effort with my strava route and I could not see a difference, maybe someone from that neck of the woods would know how the route has changed.

Apparently there is a 2km Gravel section?? What is this about and where would it be in the race? It is in link below.

I also see that the Reeds is no longer a sponsor, according to the website

http://www.99er.co.z.../road-99km-55km

I am entering the race now and look forward to it!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I heard the route is going via Malanshoogte and then up Vissershok ;) Van Schoorsdrift and the section of the N7 is no longer part of the route.

its the gravel section to Malans Hoogte, done it some time back in the Gecko race, quite a fast little section

Aparently that section of gravel will be "upgraded"/improved before race day :thumbup:

Hope so...

It's very corrugated and mostly downhill towards the dairy.

I'll loosen my fillings and lose my traction in that gravel segment.

Exciting new route though with a finish for the climbing type.

What I heard the route is going via Malanshoogte and then up Vissershok ;) Van Schoorsdrift and the section of the N7 is no longer part of the route.

Ok, so its this segment, http://www.strava.com/segments/724088?filter=overall Then visserhoek?

How will we get to this road? Via Adderley and philidelphia?

Ok, so a little less distance and some more climbing. Did the Malanshoogte with Outriders and was pretty tough!

This gives the race a bit more sting in the tail. More rollers to contend with on Koeberg / Adderley rd before turning onto Malanshoogte rd, lekker long climb up Malans, a short descent to rest the legs a bit, and then up Vissers and Odendaal.

Like 'Dale said, a race for the climbers. (think I must go and train Malans and Vissers over this December break)

My return race... after missing the 94.7 and the burger with a bung ankle. My fitness has tapered all the way down to zz group so will fit some disk brakes, pull out some conti 4 seasons to replace the 4000s and see if I can make a boonan-esque return to the ring on the 2km gravel 'hell of the north(ern suburbs)' section.

Ok, so its this segment, http://www.strava.co...?filter=overall Then visserhoek?

How will we get to this road? Via Adderley and philidelphia?

Ok, so a little less distance and some more climbing. Did the Malanshoogte with Outriders and was pretty tough!

Thats right. Did you do the Durbanville HS Fun Ride? Looks to be exactly the same route, except you turn off to Malanshoogte for a hard finish, over the two bumps.

Edited by HDW

Not sure if I like Van Schoorsdrif Road more, or this gravel road. They will both feel the same on the hands...

My return race... after missing the 94.7 and the burger with a bung ankle. My fitness has tapered all the way down to zz group so will fit some disk brakes, pull out some conti 4 seasons to replace the 4000s and see if I can make a boonan-esque return to the ring on the 2km gravel 'hell of the north(ern suburbs)' section.

Brilliant post

Heehee

Thats right. Did you do the Durbanville HS Fun Ride? Looks to be exactly the same route, except you turn off to Malanshoogte for a hard finish, over the two bumps.

I was a little caught up in DC training at the time so did not manage to enter that ride, regret it now :/