DIY front suspension service.

bobbejaan

Replacing energiser springs on a 6 year old seal is putting lipstick on a pig.

Strip, clean out all the life forms evolving in the lowers, clean the damper and spring assemblies with alcohol (the kind you get at the chemist), replace seals and all internal o-rings, refill damper oil, regrease lowers and Robert's your father's brother.

If you need help, shout. Also, post a pic of the entire fork, and if you've got a vernier measure the size of the stanchions. I might be able to identify it and may also have seals in stock.

Bwah ha ham coffee all over the keyboard comment :w00t:

Strip, clean out all the life forms evolving in the lowers, clean the damper and spring assemblies with alcohol (the kind you get at the chemist), replace seals and all internal o-rings, refill damper oil, regrease lowers and Robert's your father's brother.

If you need help, shout. Also, post a pic of the entire fork, and if you've got a vernier measure the size of the stanchions. I might be able to identify it and may also have seals in stock.

lol lipstick on a pig miss piggy and robert's definately not my uncle or miss piggy my aunt.

really, i promise, she is not my aunt.

ok i'm wrong in assuming that seals are standard across multiple brands and given that seal springs are also not and that helps, really...

so, do you have 6 to 8 year old manitou-type seals in stock or is that wishful thinking?

Edited by bobbejaan

lol lipstick on a pig miss piggy and robert's definately not my uncle or miss piggy my aunt.

really, i promise, she is not my aunt.

ok i'm wrong in assuming that seals are standard across multiple brands and given that seal springs are also not and that helps, really...

so, do you have 6 to 8 year old manitou-type seals in stock or is that wishful thinking?

Maybe. Post a photo of the entire fork and measure the stanchion diameter and I'll let you know. We have a wall full of wiper seals, so chances are good.

My TEN year old Marzocchi Bomber heard you and is currently hunting you down!!!!! I have rebuilt the fork three times before and have a set of bushings and seals in the cupboard. With Johan Bornman absconding who knows if I will ever again get spares again.

My TEN year old Marzocchi Bomber heard you and is currently hunting you down!!!!! I have rebuilt the fork three times before and have a set of bushings and seals in the cupboard. With Johan Bornman absconding who knows if I will ever again get spares again.

CRC is your friend

Maybe. Post a photo of the entire fork and measure the stanchion diameter and I'll let you know. We have a wall full of wiper seals, so chances are good.

stanchion diameter is 27 or 28mm. travel is 80mm

here teh photo

gallery_49339_1420_268189.jpg

The one sanction looks scratched. Ask yourself if the process of servicing is really worth it.

Nothing too loose if you take it apart just to have a look inside though...

Thats a Manitou Axel. I've just redone one this weekend. Do what droo said. Take the boots off the top and get 28mm Dust wipers from Rushsportscycling.com.

Thats a Manitou Axel. I've just redone one this weekend. Do what droo said. Take the boots off the top and get 28mm Dust wipers from Rushsportscycling.com.

Hey deanbean

bonus, thanks for confirming the model. do you have any tips regarding the blue dial knob under the right stanchion? does that actually connect to the damper rods? on mine the screw is removable but the knob itself doesn't fall of, it sticks there.

Edited by bobbejaan

Yup, that's an Axel. 28.6mm stanchions. I have OEM seals in stock, or Rush can supply Enduro.

As for the knob, just take the screw out and pull. All the service instructions for that fork will be on Manitou's website.

Yup, that's an Axel. 28.6mm stanchions. I have OEM seals in stock, or Rush can supply Enduro.

As for the knob, just take the screw out and pull. All the service instructions for that fork will be on Manitou's website.

yep managed to find loads more info after knowing the model type,

sent you a PM about the required parts, thanks for your help.

32 or 35mm stanchions? I've got seals for both, but bushings are a bit trickier to come by...

Shot droo, now I know where to get seals from. I eventually used 28mm RS wipers that I had on hand for an old Sid that I was going to rebuild.

I sold the bike so hopefully I'm shot of the fork.

Shot droo, now I know where to get seals from. I eventually used 28mm RS wipers that I had on hand for an old Sid that I was going to rebuild.

I sold the bike so hopefully I'm shot of the fork.

One correction though - Axel seals are unique, and not interchangeable with Skareb and the rest of the 28.6mm Manitou range as I initially thought.

Seems I don't know everything.

Bugger.