Time after Time!

Zaskar

What is up with Time pedals?? Ive been riding them for over a year now, and then all of a sudden two pairs of mine break in less than 2 weeks!

First this pair of 9 month old RXS Carbons...

20080220_010721_13022008672.jpg

20080220_010746_13022008671.jpg

And then today on my morning ride this pair of older RXS pedals!

20080220_010934_20022008690.jpg

20080220_011003_20022008687.jpg

Riding up William Nicol at 5:10 this morning, the pedal decided to seperate itself from the axle! Thank goodness it was a slight uphill and i was seated, because if it was a sprint i would have gone over the handlebars!!

J&J Cycling are pretty good in dealing with problems, the top pair are currently in for warrantee replacment or repair, and they are great with customer service. 

But im a bit worried now about these pedals! Both cases the results of the failure could have caused me some serious harm it it my foot had come out in a sprint. And bewteen amateur and I, i think we have 5 pairs!!

Maybe its time (excuse the pun) to look at something else? (and maybe i should post this on that Speedplay thread and he will feel sorry for me and give me the set??)

Anyone else had a similar experience with these?

That's 3 TCS Time pedals doing the same thing in 4 days!!!!

It's Time to do something about it!!!! LOL

Maybe it is TIME to LOOK at something else. Now you regret selling the Shimanos that never gave you problems hey.

As anti-Shimano as I am, I still ride their MTB pedals. Re-installed a 15yr old set of the original SPDs on my SS last week and they still work flawlessly. Think they had one service and none of the parts (ie baseplates) have been replaced.

Actually, I prefer their feel to that of the newer PD-M959 XTR pedals on my FS

had a brief look at a pair of the latest time pedals. seems they're beefing them up a bit, so maybe there is a problem. 

Thats bad. The old TIME pedals never did that.

I still have a pair of Titan Magnesiums that are as good as the day I got them, 18years ago!!!

But thats still very bad. Good thing you were seated.

Just reading a German mag, about a year old, that did a pedal test on a number of pedals including Time. On the same page there is an article doing a recall on certain pedals from Time. The RXS carbon pedals are on the list. You may want to check out if a recall was done on your specific pedal. This may be why their newer models are a bit beefier.

Thanks, but i did take that into account. The RXS carbons of mine were manufactured after the recall, and have the little gold dot (visible in the second pic, in the indent above where the word "France" is written on the axle) meaning they are safe from the failure that generated the recall.

On a positive note regarding those pedals, the rep from J&J contacted me earlier, and ill have them back tomorrow when he does his rounds in JHB.  

That's 3 TCS Time pedals doing the same thing in 4 days!!!!

It's Time to do something about it!!!! LOL

There are rebels in the TCS corporate structure that revert to alternative products. Wink

Thanks, it appears that this is why the second pedal failed this morning! Angry

Hazard: The pedal's bearing cap can fail causing the pedal to come off the bicycle. This poses a fall hazard for riders.
Zaskar2008-02-20 08:14:35