SA Cycling Medals

jkoorts

Yeah so my girl friend does all these 10 -21km runs - nearly every weekend. Her entry fee ranges from R35 - R60.

I Cycle. You know the entry fees.

BUT, Every single mother F'ing time she comes home with a medal - it looks like it was designed and manufactured by a company that spent a billion rand on the design. ALWAYS a big metal medal, weighing half a ton.

My medals on the the hand are copied from the previous year - dull in design. For instance the Die Burger medal design are just another copy of last year. 2012's 99ner race which costed a fortune in fees, was this small little piece of crap that did not even come with a lanyard.

2011 - 2012 Stellenbosch medallion comes with a licence car sticker. Entry fee is A LOT.

The bouckaert race comes with a plastic see through medal.

I will post photos on what I'm talking about if no one believes me.

What the hell is the deal with this?

Edited by jkoorts

who wants bloody medals for every event? i want a medal if i podium at a decent race. i've got a gold and bronze for regional cyclocross champs from home and those are cool and have value to me but couldn't care less about a finishers medal. some local races at home you get a trophy for podiums. there comes a point when you don't collect them coz they have no value when you get them so often (v small fields so often just finishing means podium). id rather a tshirt or failing that, less entry fee and nothing at all!

sorry, i realise that sounds quite aggressive! didnt mean it like that :(

Edited by leona

Yeah so my girl friend does all these 10 -21km runs - nearly every weekend. Her entry fee ranges from R50 - R80.

I Cycle. You know the entry fees.

BUT, Every single mother F'ing time she comes home with a medal - it looks like it was designed and manufactured by a company that spent a billion rand on the design. ALWAYS a big metal medal, weighing half a ton.

My medals on the the hand are copied from the previous year - dull in design. For instance the Die Burger medal design are just another copy of last year. 2012's 99ner race which costed a fortune in fees, was this small little piece of crap that did not even come with a lanyard.

2011 - 2012 Stellenbosch medallion comes with a licence car sticker. Entry fee is A LOT.

The bouckaert race comes with a plastic see through medal.

I will post photos on what I'm talking about if no one believes me.

What the hell is the deal with this?

You may have a severe case of p..... medal envy

Running races are an absolute bargain, but my medals just go into a box.

but on the other hand, have you seen a comrades medal?

Smallest medal ever.... looks like a 5cent coin

But it is the medals in my collection that means the most

the main reason for this is that the running event organizers realize that weight training is very important in their sport: so everyone gets free weights.

For the same reason cycling organizers know that the weight weenies will complain and every extra gram will result in a pissed off cyclist: hence the plastic garbage.

This information was proudly brought to you by... Know Your Bicycle History :)

She also did a 10km the other day. Got another huge medal, a bottle of wine and the entry fee was R35.

Medals aside why do we pay so much? But this thread is about medals. I just wonder why there are such a big difference.

The same country, the same province, the factory that makes the medals are probably the same, but the outcome is totally different. Every single time, except for the Argus.

Argus medals really stand out from this other crap.

It's all about the Benjamins. Or Randelas.

It does not matter if you have sponsor paying, for example, the cost of your medals, that just means you can put more money in your pocket at the end of the day (as an organiser) Also keep in mind the much bigger numbers running has traditionally had and still have compared to cycling events.

Decades ago you did not even receive a medal for a finish, merely a patch to be sewn onto your tracksuit

Yeah I remember those days, one had a tracksuit specifically for that which later looked like a christmas tree.

Medals should be given for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.

Even the above are the worlds kakest medals.

My old man has multiple national champs medals. You won't believe how crap they are.

Just another place where CSA is cutting corners

I agree that some medals may not be the greatest, but at least if only given to podiums they actually mean something.