Can one change a 20 speed cassette to a 30??

Dylan Jonsson

Dylan

Before all the stupid answers arrive.

The Difference between 20 speed and 30 speed is nothing to do with your cassette (the groups of cogs on your back wheel) That will stay as 10.

The Difference is on your Crankset. 20 speed has two rings and 30 will have three.

Im sure your (front/left) shift lever should have the option to change between 2 and 3.

So all you would need to do is get a Triple Crankset.

I'm sure if you offer it to swap with someone on here that has a triple they will take you up on the offer as most people want to go from 30 to 20. it might not cost you anything.

I'm sure if you offer it to swap with someone on here that has a triple they will take you up on the offer as most people want to go from 30 to 20. it might not cost you anything.

+1

The current vogue is 2x10. I'm sure you'll find loads of people that will happily swap your 2x10 for their 3x10.

Dylan

The Difference between 20 speed and 30 speed is nothing to do with your cassette (the groups of cogs on your back wheel) That will stay as 10.

The Difference is on your Crankset. 20 speed has two rings and 30 will have three.

Im sure your (front/left) shift lever should have the option to change between 2 and 3.

Nice one JC, stopped most of the smartasses in their tracks I bet :clap:

Dylan

What the hell do you know about 20 or 30 speed?? you're about 19 gears in over your head..... :ph34r:

Beam me up Scotty ... :whistling:

Everyone on earth are so behind on these human powered personal transporters :eek:

What the hell do you know about 20 or 30 speed?? you're about 19 gears in over your head..... :ph34r:

:oops: My bad. Did I at least sound convincing?

What JC said sums it all up. I went from 3x10 to 2x10, much better in my opinion as the tendency to cross chain is less & i've yet to snap a chain on 2x10 setup, i had snapped on 3x10. You also reduce on the number of gears that overlap having a 3x10 setup.

What is your reason for changing to 3x10? Do you not have enough gears top end or bottom end cos that can be rectified either with a crankset change (which you'd do moving to a 3x setup) or a different cassette.

For my education, would most front shifters have that option of changing between 2 and 3?

Nice one JC, stopped most of the smartasses in their tracks I bet :clap:

Made me think of this quote......

Harry Callahan: I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking "did he fire six shots or only five?" Now to tell you the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow you head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?