Modderfontein reserve trails

I've ridden Modderfontein Reserve trails many times, and two days ago a friend and I did the red route again.

Perhaps it is just me, but each time I go there I tend to regret having gone there because what could be an awesome experience is jaded by the lack of maintenance and signage....and the honour of paying R40 each time.

On the twisting hill paths I couldn't see the path many a time as the grass/weeds had grown so long, and the mielie field path was uncleared while I was being slapped in the face with mielie stems!

My friend also did part of the red route, but decided to do a U-turn when he encountered a black snake the size of a person's calve over a metre long!

Many parts are becoming barren as it seems alien trees are not being left to exist as well (see attached pic).

What do you think?

post-52787-0-93949400-1387439476_thumb.jpg

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to agree hey

This used to be our "home base" but decided to move to Red Barn.....a bit further to travel but way more setup and organized.

Hope they manage to get it right though as they have everything to make it one of the best tracks in SA

ive always wondered on the night rides how big the snakes are in that place as we always see field mice cruising along the paths

I tend to agree hey

This used to be our "home base" but decided to move to Red Barn.....a bit further to travel but way more setup and organized.

Hope they manage to get it right though as they have everything to make it one of the best tracks in SA

Ja, I also hope they sort it out, but have my doubts. I have written to them and basically nothing has happened.

It is very convenient for me to go there, but I really feel it is a rip-off.

ive always wondered on the night rides how big the snakes are in that place as we always see field mice cruising along the paths

When I was ploughing my way through the hill-top, the thought of "things" being in my path came to mind. I decided to fly through so fast that I wouldn't see anything.

But my friend got the fright of his life and even took 13 km off his ride when he saw this snake slithering across his path!

When I was ploughing my way through the hill-top, the thought of "things" being in my path came to mind. I decided to fly through so fast that I wouldn't see anything.

But my friend got the fright of his life and even took 13 km off his ride when he saw this snake slithering across his path!

there was a thread on the hub about a snake that was found there , it was cut in half and it was a monster....

i dont blame him...i wouldve dropped some kids on the path there and then

Go to Thaba, just a few more km's down the road, it is well marked, well maintained and Wendell built that trail to really test you.

Wendell's Way is a great way to realize that you aren't as good as you thought you are.

there was a thread on the hub about a snake that was found there , it was cut in half and it was a monster....

i dont blame him...i wouldve dropped some kids on the path there and then

I'm not so sure I would have continued through the brush two days ago had I known more about the snake situation there!

Go to Thaba, just a few more km's down the road, it is well marked, well maintained and Wendell built that trail to really test you.

Wendell's Way is a great way to realize that you aren't as good as you thought you are.

Haha ja Thaba is a great location. We did, or tried to do (!) Wendell's Way and wow that's a whole different ball game. Made us realise that colour coding was important! :)

Why would you cut your ride short because of a snake? Just let it move off and continue your ride :eek:

Good point. But having seen this monster and then realised that a large part of the path wasn't maintained, the thought of encountering more of them wasn't pleasing I'm assuming!

I've never gone on any of the red routes but considering how slow I ride i would probably be in more danger then you lot, but - since it's a nature reserve - would it not be expected that you will encounter snakes once in a while?

I see they're busy with a lot of upgrades around the coffee shop sections - maybe spending more time / efforts upgrading that which was neglected for a good while and not working on the trails so much.

I did notice yesterday though that where the big tree had fallen down - 2 weeks ago you had to bundu bash your way around it, but now they've sort of flattened out a path (or it's just from frequent use) - i would have thought someone would have cut up the tree and moved it off by now)

I love Modders but yes - it does need some maintenance.

I reported the trench that had been dug across the path to Central Park Trails some weeks ago - nothing done.

The marsh trail is crazy - long grass and nice abrasive reeds that try and pull you off your bike.

Fallen trees where riders make a new path around it rather than trail management.

I see some grass cutting here and there but Modders is in desperate need of some proper trail maintenance.

I've never gone on any of the red routes but considering how slow I ride i would probably be in more danger then you lot, but - since it's a nature reserve - would it not be expected that you will encounter snakes once in a while?

I see they're busy with a lot of upgrades around the coffee shop sections - maybe spending more time / efforts upgrading that which was neglected for a good while and not working on the trails so much.

I did notice yesterday though that where the big tree had fallen down - 2 weeks ago you had to bundu bash your way around it, but now they've sort of flattened out a path (or it's just from frequent use) - i would have thought someone would have cut up the tree and moved it off by now)

You are right re expecting snakes there, but I guess I'd be happy to see them and be able to avoid them rather than coming across them unexpectedly due to bad maintenance of the paths.

I saw two days ago that the restaurant/cafe is looking good from the outside. Perhaps they have prioritised this, but then they shouldn't be charging R40 when Northern Farms (excellent rides) charges R30 and is well maintained and sign posted...

I do see attempts at trying to maintain the trails. But I couldn't but think that when they were doing the mielie field path that 1600 came and workers dropped their tools and ran for home! It wasn't cleared and a half-arsed attempt at making it rideable was done.

Modders is also our home base trail, but alas !! the guys are just not keeping it up to standard. If you compare to the trails at Northern Farms.

They have not added any new sections and every summer there is an issue with the grass not being cut. riding the Reed trail is dangerous, those reed leaves will cut like a blade if they catch you at the right angle. the Barren sections cannot be helped and is the result of a massive bush fire a few months back.

the single track section through the black wattle plantation near the start finish gate that was cut a few months back is now a plantation of 20 - 30mm 6" stumps sticking up like a pin cushion, and flippen dangerous if you fall. this section of the trail should be closed. The tree huggers decided to cut them because they not indigenous. WTF !!!!

There are plenty of snakes at Modders especially in the reeds, as they hunt frogs in that area. If they don't keep the trails clean and cut riders will encounter more and more.

Only a matter of time before they have a serious incident at Modders.

I love Modders but yes - it does need some maintenance.

I reported the trench that had been dug across the path to Central Park Trails some weeks ago - nothing done.

The marsh trail is crazy - long grass and nice abrasive reeds that try and pull you off your bike.

Fallen trees where riders make a new path around it rather than trail management.

I see some grass cutting here and there but Modders is in desperate need of some proper trail maintenance.

I forgot about the trench. Three times I had to get off my bike to jump over it. Scant regard for MTB's and the trail.

Agree with you fully re maintenance being needed.