Modderfontein reserve trails

i tend to avoid using the toilets at the restaurant. I always feel frowned upon after a ride when you're all muddy. 

When they built the outhouses in the parking - they should have made a wet room - easy peasy - that would allow you to hose yourself down if you need to get somewhere after a ride. 

Same here, so we go to the coffee shop in the village, Oaks Brew house. They also have beer.....

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys

I recently moved to Halfway Gardens and deciding whether to use Modderfontein as my new training ground.

Is there a yearly membership option or 10-pass option?

Is it safe to ride from Halfway Gardens to Modderfontein and back?

My prefered route would be across Allendale Road and along the fence/railway up to the reserve's entrance.

I use to ride from Boksburg side, do one loop and ride back...was a good 90km ride. I realised that doing 1.5 or 2 x 40km loops at Modders was more beneficial. 70 - 80km will give you around 1000m of climbing. Plus, less risk of riding in the streets...Wednesday night ride is a good time to spend 4-5hrs on the bike in the cooler temperatures...

Think you can purchase a 10 multipass entry and save some $$.

I use to ride from Boksburg side, do one loop and ride back...was a good 90km ride. I realised that doing 1.5 or 2 x 40km loops at Modders was more beneficial. 70 - 80km will give you around 1000m of climbing. Plus, less risk of riding in the streets...Wednesday night ride is a good time to spend 4-5hrs on the bike in the cooler temperatures...

Think you can purchase a 10 multipass entry and save some $$.

Thanks for your reply!

Does modders take cards or only cash? Riding there tomorrow and just want to make sure I have cash on me if I need cash

Guest notmyname

Does modders take cards or only cash? Riding there tomorrow and just want to make sure I have cash on me if I need cash

Cashola only.

• 5 weeks later...

I first rode Modders when they opened and for some reason I have not been back since 2013. Went there yesterday - what an amazing ride.

There is an incredible "black" section just near the river that offers some good rock riding but you need to pay careful attention to find your way out at the end.

Well worth the time

I rode modders yesterday only for the second time ,first time being a few years back. What an awesome ride , they really have to be applauded on the maintenance of those trails.

Did the red route and forgot how tough some of those climbs were  

• 2 weeks later...
Guest notmyname

Anybody know if there are showers at modders?

Anybody know if there are showers at modders?

No, but the bikewash guys are accommodating.

Guest notmyname

No, but the bikewash guys are accommodating.

Lol. Thanks.

Guest notmyname

Or a quick swim in the river :thumbup:

Sies. On par if not worse than the spruit.

Are the Wednesday night rides still happening at Modders? Safe?

No, last one was last week. Will start again in spring. Yes.