Transbaviaans 2014

Garfield2010

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Accommodation sorted in Vaalwater. Tx to Willomore tourism office. Very helpful.

Now to try and explain to the JBay place that i do NOT know when i will get there, it WILL be after 5pm on Sat, and i will want to see a bed for a few hours on Sunday morning (i hope), it may be at 3 am when i get there. Deal with it. :lol:

Now to get the pard to do some training

Daai Tannies ken hulle storie :thumbup:

We usually let our support team drive the vehicles to J-Bay and then they check in for us and offload all our bags and stuff. They have more than enough time to eat something at J-Bay and take a midday nap before riding to the checkpoint to meet us.

Bennie hoe gaan die training?

Watse tyd wil julle ry? Jy nogsteeds op daai 26er van jou?

Howzit Anton! - Haha ja nog steeds op my 26" HT - Ons kyk om middernag klaar te maak (14hrs) Raak ook nou effens benoud, nie genoeg long rides nie, maar nou ja ons gaan vir die adventure. Wat se tyd kyk julle na?

Howzit Anton! - Haha ja nog steeds op my 26" HT - Ons kyk om middernag klaar te maak (14hrs) Raak ook nou effens benoud, nie genoeg long rides nie, maar nou ja ons gaan vir die adventure. Wat se tyd kyk julle na?

Jy ken my mos, so gou as moontlik. Die bene net nie die jaar waar hulle moet wees nie, maar kyk so na 10h.

Daai Tannies ken hulle storie :thumbup:

We usually let our support team drive the vehicles to J-Bay and then they check in for us and offload all our bags and stuff. They have more than enough time to eat something at J-Bay and take a midday nap before riding to the checkpoint to meet us.

Hmmmm, ja....

About the support vehicle and driver. That plan kinda fell through.

Option 2 = 3 x blikkies with clothes and spares + a School kid driving the car down to Jbay for us :eek: :blink:

:nuke:

:nuke:

You can ride the route any time. It's actually a nice one to do with a few friends and with the wives and kids driving behind as support :)

Being a noob and all on this race, can someone please give some practical advice on how best to use the blikkies given to us. We do not have a support vehicle as lack of wives/friends, so our only support will be what we pack in these boxes.

1) Clothes : i cant take everything on my back and i understand it gets pretty damn cold there when the sun goes down ...... and you doing a 16 hour ride.

2) Food : I see they have had soup at the check points. I am pretty sure this will be sufficient as GU is probably NOT the way to go on this race 10 hours in. Not wanting to pack food in the blikkie and hope i get to the right blikkie at dinner time.

3) Spares : Will carry spares that are needed and maybe toss in a spare tube or two into the blikkies. I will not have spare rims or derailleurs etc Considering having a second battery for the light, but will prob put this in the last bin, but not sure how this will help when the sun goes down around checkpoint 5 ish......

4) Ask for Deo and suntan lotion (for next morning if all goes bad?) can only be put in Bin for Pt 4.

5) Kinda nervous now even though i am sure i will be fine.

As far as I understand, you need a someone to be registered as your back up, and they can only see you at CP5. park warm clothes for CP4, there should be enough food on the road, except at CP2.

If you are worried that you might run out of light, rather ride with an headlight from the start and get your front light either at CP3/4.

Also ride with some lube, it always helps a bit.

We ride in the middle to back of the pack and generally do between 15 and 17 hours.

You really do not need to take food along, maybe just an energy bar or biltong or something to snack on between CP2 & CP3 as CP2 is the only point you do not get 'proper' food.

We usually pack our lights in the crate going to CP3 as we aim to hit this point at about 16.00 to 17.00 and the climb to MAC is usually done halfway in the dark for us so we put lights on here.

Depends on what you want to do but we usually pack a change of clothes / warmer clothes for CP4 on top of MAC as it is usually at this point it becomes colder and also a bit colder on the Big Dipper.

You should be able to manage without support if allowed as the CP's are well stocked and if you ride with a camelback type bag you can carry most spares with you, in general people along the route are more than willing to assist, we always do.

I also make up some small bags with my 'powder' to mix in bottles beforehand and just add at each stop. Lube is also a good thing to carry, especially if it is a very wet year.

How big are these blikkies? We are a team of 4 and I was wondering how much stuff we can each put into these things.

How big are these blikkies? We are a team of 4 and I was wondering how much stuff we can each put into these things.

Ditto, The phone number on the web site don't work so I filled in the contact form with the question. Would be nice to get a photo of one to get an idea of dimensions.