More scam artists on the loose...beware!

StevieL

So I have had my bike on the hub for a little while, and I decided to post it on OLX too.

Within the hour of putting it on OLX, I had a message come through (078 260 9563) from a "Gerry Mooler".

Can I deliver the bike to an address in Houghton, was the request.

No problem. On my way there, I had another message come through... There is somebody whose (sic) waiting for you there.

Alarm bells were starting to ring, and I had an uneasy feeling about it.

I went to the address opposite St Johns college, which was an old abandoned church.

A phone call. Sounding very Nigerian... I am coming now, I will be there in 5 mins. I told him that the EFT needs to be done before I hand over the bike.

An SMS not 20 seconds later...

Nedbank payment confirmation... From a cell phone number. That was the last straw, I left, and as I thought, no money was ever transferred.

Beware.... The other number that was used during this little operation was 074 218 2515.

Anyways, if anyone wants the deal of the year...

https://www.bikehub.co.za/index.php?app=hubmarket&module=core&do=view_item&item_id=70584&new=1

I once did a deal on BidorBuy and the guy also send me a proof of payment via sms. I later discovered that he just forwarded the sms that the bank had sent him, he even sent me his account balance (lol).

I received the payment, delivered the item and everybody was happy!!!

You know what I'll gladly do for you Stevie? I'll take that Colnago off your hands. Having a thing like that in your possession is just too much of a skelm magnet! You'll be much happier without it. I'll even throw in shipping costs to Cape Town and if you really really need something to ride, I'' send you a nice sturdy Raleigh to use. The scamsters will leave you alone then. :D ;)

I had a similar experience on gumtree, I advertised a cannon camera and I received a call from a guy with a similar accent asking to post it to jhb. I also said I need payment confirmation with a ref number and got a message bk straight away from another number also stating nedbank payment successful. And he rushed me during the whole process, told me he needs it urgently... Glad you didn't go all the way dude

You KNOW it's a scam when:

You receive a call / sms & the buyer doesn't even ask a (legitimate) question about the condition of the item (or any more pics) & only asks for your banking details & want to transfer.

Want to meet somewhere they suggest you bring the item to (a shakey area & not a public place like a mcdonalds / police station)

If you receive said sms - make a call & hear what the buyer's accent sounds like.

Thanks for the warning.Just advertised my iPad and I googled this number.Got to this post.He wants to do the transfer and send me the proof of payment.When I told him Ill wait for the money to clear first he ended the call abruptly.

....maybe con them in the same manner if you suspect it is not legit. They see a picture of the product advertised, so print out and send through a glossy, brand new, never been used before, one of a kind, A5 print with optional personalised message.

It's rubish this whole scaming thing. My wife is trying to sell her iPhone via all of the online sites. Not one genuine enquiry. All of these posts on the hub have really helped me/her become wiser wrt these kinds of sales.

Would be pretty cool to set these forkers up. Wouldn't take too much. Advertise a cool looking bike with a small tracking device and surely that would lead you to their little gold mine of stolen merchandise. If the police actually gave a toss, I'm sure it would be a pretty simple exercise. Having said that though, I suppose they have bigger fish to fry.

The way to avoid this stuff doesn't change.

Cash cash cash only, only meet buyer in person at public place. Don't go alone, and don't bring out goods until you have cash in hand, or at least can see the buyer is legit.

Of course, there are exceptions, but the safest way is cash and meet in person.

Stay safe out there... The reason they operate is because people are so easily tricked. You may only get tricked once, but that's still a lot for these bastards...