Help needed, which GPS device?

Bosbrommer

Hi hubbers,

I need your expert opinion again. I am thinking of investing in a cycling gps device but are unsure which one. Garmin? Polar? Suunto?

Also, I run every now and again which will also be cool to track. But i mainly cycle.

I am looking at the edge 500 but then i should probably go for the edge 510?

I also have a iPhone 5 with tons of cycling apps, etc but would like a dedicated cycling device.

I am also considering the garmin 310xt, its hideous but it tracks cycling, running and swimming.

Please help!

Thanks

Krynauw

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Garmin Edge 500 :thumbup: :thumbup:

You will thank me later.

If you have the extra dosh and are more of a tech geek, get the Garmin Edge 510.

Bryton Rider 60? Full colour, turn by turn, touch screen, heaps of options.

Had the 40 & now have the 50, both good devices, work brilliantly, good customer support from local and international. Downside is the annoying online portal and not a huge library of downloadable tracks to follow (but I never really do). Sync's with Strava and I use that to manage most of my records.

Whatever one you get, do yourself a favour and save some coin for an 'out front' mount like a k-edge / Barfly and to get a cadence magnet from Carbon29er. Slips into the hole on the back of your crank / pedal thread and one less fugly thing to cable tie to your expensive bike. ;)

Hi

I hv a Garmin 800, Garmin 610 for running and aSuunto t6d, I liked the look of suunto.

All three are great for different purposes but if you need mainly cycling the Garmin 500 or now 510 best. The 800 great but many features I don't use or need.

Cana

I love my Edge 500 but I don't do any running so not sure how it will work for that. On the bike, it's spot on. Just the right amount of info and a great price. The higher models are nice but the price is silly.

How much info do you need .I have both polar watch and bryton 35 .Polar is more robust and the heart rate monitor works fine ,but the batteries don,t seem to last long .Bryton,s heart rate monitor does not seal well .Both gps units work very well and bryton has a long battery life .i don,use a gps unless i do a race .Invest in a sealable bag for your i phone ? Buy what you will use ,not what you think you might use .If i buy again it will be Garmin or polar watch with gps

I am getting the 910 now with plans to start doing triathlons with it. Its got the same bike functionality as the edge 500 with the added bonus that you can use it for swimming and running as well.

Rubbish to ALL of the above!!! Polar RC3 GPS, it works and you can use it for Cycling, Indoor training and running, the website works with no issues, its simple easy and gives you what you need. Export the GPX file and you log your ride on Strava. Its minimalist' dream, on your wrist, out of the way, you don't have to stare at this brick plakked infront of you telling you you're kakking af (when you're not really, reffering to Garmin amazing accurate heart rate reading) and its half the price of the bricks on the market.

(Ps: Don't listen to Tankman, he only jogs)

;-) love you brother Henk!

Got the 810 and 910XT, and have had 800, 310XT and virtually every Garmin device before that. Have also had most of the Polar devices in the last 10 years.

The 810 is a fantastic cycling tool, and the full color mapping is great. Many of the MTB stage races are starting to use Gps routes instead if markings, and this device is awesome for that. The Bluetooth integration with my iPhone works a treat and your data is uploaded as soon as your session ends. Really a great device.

910xt is the gold standard for multisport devices, swim, bike and run, and easy transitions between them. It does use the ANT+ key to upload data, so you need a PC to do it, unless you have an ANT+ key for your phone.

Suunto is my next favorite because they are great looking and integrate the GPS into a watch you can wear every day. They don't make an integrated swim device though, so that is a gap they need to fill.

I have no experience with Bryton, but by all accounts they are nicely out together.

All Garmin, Bryton and Suunto devices use the ANT+ standard for peripherals, so their extras like HR, cadence, speed and so on are fully interoperable. Also most power meters will work seamlessly with all of the above.

The Polar RCX 3 and 5 are both really fantastic, the only drawback being that the GPS is a separate pod. Benefit is that they are also watches so you can wear them all day. Sadly Polar still doesn't support standard ANT+, so you are tied to their proprietary peripherals for cadence, speed, power and so on.

(Ps: Don't listen to Tankman, he only jogs)

;-) love you brother Henk!

Im done with jogging ... I have now started ... wait for it ... running!

Running my hand through my hair as I prepare for this massive facepalm!

:lol: