MTB clipless vs flats

Sam1

Guest Omega Man

I found a set of these http://bbbcycling.co...s/pedals/BPD-32 at my lbs they were about R300.00 I'm no freerider but they work well enough for what I do and they work and they grip like dogs**t to a shoe.I found that as my old NB takkies get more worn they grip the pedals better you don't actually have to spend thousands unless you are really serious or if you have the money to play well why not.....

https://www.bikejame...th-flat-pedals/

Yeah you certainly don't have to spend a crapload of money on flats. Giant used to make a pedal called Mosh. Also not pricey and super grippy. Strong as hell too.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I cycle between both platforms... Haha.

When I mainly do technical rides or ride my BMX, I use flats, on longer rides I use cleats.

Yesterday I did a very nice 35km route with big drops and a few jumps, and my flats performed great. Today I did a 125km LSD ride on the same bike and the cleats performed great.

I use Shimano Saint pedals paired with 510 Freerider VXi, and with cleats I use Shimano XT pedals and Shimano XC SPD shoes.

A few things regarding flats:

- Give yourself at least 10 rides on good quality pedal/shoe combo before you cast your verdict

- On rough dowhills make sure you dip your heels, as this action will ensure that your foot won't slip or bounce off.

- Flats will make you a very smooth rider, it learns you to flow with the bike and the trail, instead of the bike being forced to go wherever your body goes.

My advice: get both types of shoes and pedals, as well as a good pedal spanner.

• 9 months later...

I won't get into the flats vs clips debate, because it tends to rage on for pages and usually consists mostly of age-old and re-hashed arguments. Ride whatever makes you comfortable - if flats give you more confidence, more power to you. If you can't imagine a world without clipping in - you go girl!

Personally I ride flats, and I will say this. Most people that complain about a lack of grip on flats have never ridden a proper set of pedals with a proper pair of shoes. It amazes me how much people will blow on clipless pedals and shoes without blinking, but want to skimp on a flats setup - and then wonder why it's not as efficient.

If you're planning to ride flats, you want a set of these (or similar): http://dialdbikes.co.za/deity-decoy-2.5-pedals.html and a pair of these: http://dialdbikes.co.za/fiveten-freerider-vxi.html

Sure, it's going to cost you, but the shoes will last long and the pedals will last a lifetime (I have a set of DMR V12s I've been rocking for about 5 years now). And the grip and comfort will be worth every penny.

Alternatively, I have it on good authority (I wouldn't know personally) that the inability to unclip can be due to a lack of experience or poor setup. Get your LBS to set your pedals and shoes up right, find a soft, grassy area and practice. 

I think it is simply a matter of personal preference.

I've used cleats for the past few months and clipping in and out becomes so intuitive, you don't even think about it. You just do it. 

Also make sure that the pedal tension suits your riding style. If you regularly feel the need to quickly unclip when riding, make sure the tension is low.

My wife started on flats, went clipless and is now back on flats (after buying her a sweet Shimano/Giro pedal/shoe combo!). She feels more at ease knowing she isn't "attached" to the bike. 

flats vs clips debate aside, James Wilson's most recent article is more about the audacity of Trek, dictating to their customers what type of pedal they have to use.

Ironically Trek had a number of riders on their bikes (including 3 of their very own special C3 Project Riders) competing at the recent Red Bull Rampage. I'm pretty sure none of them were clipped in... which in accordance to Trek's sticker is a safety violation.

Cos obviously when you're doing this, your first concern is "oh crap, what shoes did I bring"?

http://image3.redbull.com/rbcom/010/2013-10-14/1331615605918_2/0010/1/1000/666/2/mountain-biker-brandon-semenuk-drops-at-red-bull-rampage-2013.jpg

Brandon Semenuk (Trek C3 Project Rider wearing flats) gapping huge!

Edited by patches

Lol at Trek.

I'd love to see one of those guys going into a big jump, uncleat into superman position and then cleat in to land.

On the whole debate - coming from a long road racing background, I use both but these days default to flats more often. Whenever I'm asked I simply say flats make you better/smoother/skilled while cleats make you faster.

Lol at Trek.

I'd love to see one of those guys going into a big jump, uncleat into superman position and then cleat in to land.

On the whole debate - coming from a long road racing background, I use both but these days default to flats more often. Whenever I'm asked I simply say flats make you better/smoother/skilled while cleats make you faster.

Sam Hill disagrees with your last sentiment :P

Just adding my 2 cents, as a woman who has literally had her first mtb for 2 weeks... I asked for the same pedals my hubby had on his momsen, standard shimano m505 clipless, and then got some mtb shoes and cleats. I have been road biking in cleats for around 6 months, and can't really imagine riding either type of bike without cleats - the stability and security I feel on my road bike is replicated on my mtb, as long as I stay on the bike, of course. I'm a bit of a chicken on a bike - it took me ages to get used to my road bike cleats - and like sam, my mtb pedals are at minimum tension, but I would rather stick to my cleats and take it carefully by start out on easy trails, then build up from there. I got the bike shop to attach the shimano spd adaptors at first, so I could get used to the bike before I started clipping in, but after a week I took them off as I found them distracting. I do believe in clipless pedals and will keep working on my bike skills to earn the right to ride more technical trails.

Just adding my 2 cents, as a woman who has literally had her first mtb for 2 weeks... I asked for the same pedals my hubby had on his momsen, standard shimano m505 clipless, and then got some mtb shoes and cleats. I have been road biking in cleats for around 6 months, and can't really imagine riding either type of bike without cleats - the stability and security I feel on my road bike is replicated on my mtb, as long as I stay on the bike, of course. I'm a bit of a chicken on a bike - it took me ages to get used to my road bike cleats - and like sam, my mtb pedals are at minimum tension, but I would rather stick to my cleats and take it carefully by start out on easy trails, then build up from there. I got the bike shop to attach the shimano spd adaptors at first, so I could get used to the bike before I started clipping in, but after a week I took them off as I found them distracting. I do believe in clipless pedals and will keep working on my bike skills to earn the right to ride more technical trails.

Or you could try flats and approach this from a neutral perspective.

I am in the try both and then decide camp rather than the try one type and declare them the winner approach.