Polar V800

SwissVan

While shopping around for a new Polar with integrated GPS that you can swim with (which polar don't offer at the moment) I saw on their website that they will be releasing a new sports watch with integrated with GPS (i.e. built in gps sensor, no separate sensor required) that you can swim with.

post-182-0-45387800-1389169003_thumb.png

DC Rainmaker has been testing it

http://www.dcrainmak...-triathlon.html

Edited by SwissVan

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool I will follow this as it is my only reason for not getting an RC3!

Yeah I came this close . to buying a RC3 and luckily saw the splash resistant and not swimming resistant warning. WTFlip Polar make it splash resistant I don't know and actually wonder if they say that just to encourage people to buy the other multi sport watch with gps pod?

Its (RC3) is probably water resistant enough to swim with but for the price I don't want to experiment.

So anyone tried this yet (swimming with the RC3)...?

Yeah I came this close . to buying a RC3 and luckily saw the splash resistant and not swimming resistant warning. WTFlip Polar make it splash resistant I don't know and actually wonder if they say that just to encourage people to buy the other multi sport watch with gps pod?

Its (RC3) is probably water resistant enough to swim with but for the price I don't want to experiment.

So anyone tried this yet (swimming with the RC3)...?

Exactly doesn't make any sense whatsoever!! Would be interesting to know!

For the tech geeks:

The new V800 is going to be blue tooth capable, is that really a good thing or just some Finnish propaganda?

post-182-0-41105300-1389252054_thumb.png

I think it's a ploy to crush the rise of ANT+, while scoring big in the initial wave as the largest provider of devices that uses the tech. Also, it makes a lot of financial sense to back an independant, but proven standard. Saves a crapload of software development costs.buBut it's also a massive pain in the arse for users: none of their other sensors will work, save the H7 HRM.that's just sif.but their timing on the V800 is notably impeccable, what with the rise/re-establishment, of the smart watch.

The V800 looks and acts very much like a smartwatch. Also, it finally gives Polar an opportunity to jump wholesale into selling accessory sensors. Bluetooth is a standard on every single smart phone out there. If they improve their software data analysis tools, they could get consumer lock-in by providing an end2end training solution, and not even need a watch. All they need to do now, is include mobile calling on their phones, and everyone wont need a phone... :devil:

Very smart move Polar..

Edited by Capricorn

For the tech geeks:

The new V800 is going to be blue tooth capable, is that really a good thing or just some Finnish propaganda?

post-182-0-41105300-1389252054_thumb.png

Lets hope it's as good as it sounds!!

I just bought a RCX5 though but will see what happens and when these arrive here might be close to my B'day or easter or whatever day ;)

From my perspective all I want is a polar product that works for triathlon events and running AND it would be really great if there is must have a chest strap that is compatible with the V800 and CS400... which I use on my road and mtb, don't like a bike computer on my wrist.

Not really worried about other sensors, maybe one day if splurge on a power meter but that not likely in the near future.

From my perspective all I want is a polar product that works for triathlon events and running AND it would be really great if there is must have a chest strap that is compatible with the V800 and CS400... which I use on my road and mtb, don't like a bike computer on my wrist.

Not really worried about other sensors, maybe one day if splurge on a power meter but that not likely in the near future.

Forget the GPS function and get the RCX 5.

Mine is on order, as soon as they land :thumbup:

Where did u order it from and when do you think it will arrive?

I see Polar say April 2014 but I expect that will be in the major markets like USA, I would like it ASAP and I expect the swiss shops will only get them months after the rest of the world.

Maybe buying from a mass online shop i.e. CRC will result in a quicker delivery...?

Forget the GPS function and get the RCX 5.

Why forget gps?

I've got the old RS800 which works with the foot pod, but I'm getting tired of it as the running speed and distances are very sensitive to pod position on your shoes resulting in fluctuations...starting to irritate me.

I expect the gps would be more consistent.

My problem with the RCX5 gps is that you need to carry the sensor around, prefer it to be integrated.

Why forget gps?

I've got the old RS800 which works with the foot pod, but I'm getting tired of it as the running speed and distances are very sensitive to pod position on your shoes resulting in fluctuations...starting to irritate me.

I expect the gps would be more consistent.

My problem with the RCX5 gps is that you need to carry the sensor around, prefer it to be integrated.

I have an RCX 5 ,RC3 as well as the RS800.

The RS 800 lies in a drawer.

The RCX 5 is fantastic as you can scroll through activities without having to stop the unit and restart, the footpad calibrates itself.

The RC3 I love for cycling, it's on my arm ,does what I want it to do and I carry on without worries, I don't need nor want maps.

The RX3 for running gives me different readings when I run on GPS V the footpod.

So the GPS function is purely used if I forget my footpod at home.

I use a footpod 90% of the time so I can see my cadence and stride length.

I back ordered a new one from the local importers.

Wonder if a new cycling specific watch will be launched soon with the same technology and looks of the v800?