Cycle Scam - Specialized Stumpjumper Expert.

Robin Olbrich

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So lets recap.

The only safe way it seems is to get the sms, immediately draw ALL the cash from your account (that way you know its real money) and then re deposit it immediately so you arent robbed.

Holy crap.

Nope. What I do is before I hand over the goods, I log onto my internet banking on my cellphone, check that the cash is there, and then to be sure I transfer the funds to one of my other accounts e.g credit or savings. That way I know that 1. the money has been deposited and 2. the transaction is actually legit (i.e. not a cheque that will bounce in a day or two).

Wow, those photos are... remarkably similar.

im almost sure thats the original add, check date out!

Thats ***, insurance?

Real name's probably Sipho and not Shaun.

I know its a serious topic and I feel sorry for the OP but that was *** funny Cav

I advertised a large Stumpjumper Expert 2012 model on Gum Tree during the festive season and received an email form an interested buyer James Malinga. He called me to meet his son for whom he was buying the bike and asked to meet at a convenient location in Cape Town. I agreed to meet his son Shaun on Saturday 4th January at a KFC in Cape Town.

I met his Shaun as planned with the bike and he was very happy with the condition and agreed to buy the bike but needed call his father James to do the EFT. Shaun spoke to his father and then he handed the phone to me to speak to his father to confirm the price and my bank details. He said a transfer would be done immediately from his FNB account and I would receive an SMS from the bank within a few minutes confirming the transfer. After 10min an SMS bank transfer confirmation from FNB was delivered to my mobile from a 16 digit number confirming payment with details of my bank account a payment reference and an FNB help line number.

I released the bike to Shaun (picture of him below) and we parted ways. Two days later the money was not in my account and I contacted the FNB help line number sent with the confirmation of payment and they confirmed that they have no record of the reference number given nor do they use the text message number used to confirm the payment from James Malinga. I HAD BEEN SCAMMED!

Beware and be on the lookout for the bike below and contact details of Shaun and James.

post-53139-0-57943100-1389555339_thumb.jpgpost-53139-0-72358000-1389555340_thumb.jpg

• James Malinga

Cell Phone: 0735410335 and 0603238884

Email Address:
Note the name James gave me does not match the name on the link below.
  • Shaun

Cell Phone: 0604083240

Picture of Shaun: http://www.facebook....&type=1

post-53139-0-68059900-1389555341_thumb.jpg

Sent: robino@icon.co.za

Looks like Tsotsi to me

In all honesty I would rather not part with my bike than sell it too "Shaun". I at least want it to go to a cyclist.

Sorry for your loss tho

Nope. What I do is before I hand over the goods, I log onto my internet banking on my cellphone, check that the cash is there, and then to be sure I transfer the funds to one of my other accounts e.g credit or savings. That way I know that 1. the money has been deposited and 2. the transaction is actually legit (i.e. not a cheque that will bounce in a day or two).

I just wait till the money is in my acc for a day or two. But if I sell to known hubbers I'll let it go with proof of payment

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

That's a bit harsh, haven't we all been caught out by a con artist at least once? The SMS confirmation is a very standard trick now. Like an email, or electronic doc, never take it on face value.

And here begs the question.... Where do all these high end bikes go??!!

THAT'S THE QUESTION THE INDUSTRY SHOULD BE ASKING

You mean transfer the *entire* contents of your account to another account? That's the only option I assume you're referring to, and unfortunately just slightly impractical for most people...

That's a bit harsh, haven't we all been caught out by a con artist at least once? The SMS confirmation is a very standard trick now. Like an email, or electronic doc, never take it on face value.

Not really. Assuming that your broad based statement is in fact true and we have all been caught by a con artist at least once, the response in that case would be along the lines of "What an idiot! I can't believe that I was just caught!" (Another assumption on my part. I was almost caught once and I felt like a fool when the reality set in. I was lucky though and got a get out of jail free card. Not everybody is that lucky.)

In light of the numerous scam warnings that we receive every day in our inbox, my reaction at least is to treat every transaction/interaction with a stranger that involves the exchange of property regardless of it's monetary value with the utmost of scepticism until I am proven otherwise.