Cycle Scam - Specialized Stumpjumper Expert.

Robin Olbrich

I sold a bike to a chap who did a transfer on his phone as we stood there. I waited till i received an email confirmation (think it was fnb) and then sent him on his Merry way.. He did not look at all like Shaun... and I trusted him... Perhaps I should not have been so trusting?

The sale went through with no problems

Edited by Stretch

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ag dudes its so easy to get scammed these days....

As Grebel said below I also treat every deal with scepticism and always thought NOOIT this wont happen to me but these ******* are clever I tell you... December I had some spare cash and decided to buy myself a nice camera again... Long story short... Got a nice deal and the negotiations started... Made an arrangement to pay the guy R2000 and then on receiving the camera with pay the balance of R1200 (he was situated near Beaufort West and would sent via Speed Services once I send him the proof of payment). Everything checked out, phone number, address the whole shebang... Totally legit..

Well guess what soon as he got proof of payment he disappeared... Case was opened at the SAPS and to my surprise the inspector assigned to the case calls me the next day telling me there isn't really much they can do about it.... That after I gave them all the correspondence between myself en this twat, phone numbers as well as the Capitec banking details of this perpetrator.....

SO the moral of the story is be very careful and as I do of late I only deal face to face and in cash unless I personally know the seller or have dealt with him before.

And here begs the question.... Where do all these high end bikes go??!!

There is an add on gumtree at the moment for a whole bunch of high end MTB parts. Like X1 etc... All brand new off a bike. I will search again and see if I can find the link

I sold a bike to a chap who did a transfer on his phone as we stood there. I waited till i received an email confirmation (think it was fnb) and then sent him on his Merry way.. He did not look at all like Shaun... and I trusted him... Perhaps I should not have been so trusting?

The sale went through with no problems

I did the same thing, I watched as the guy did the eft from his phone on the fnb app, and as soon as he submitted it i got the SMS. Not really sure how someone can fake that?

But apart from that I met the guy and his friend on a previous occasion and we had a long chat about cycling in general, and I just got a good vibe about them as well. It's always a risk selling or buying second hand, never sell to dodgy characters!!

hi

I have been contacted by this skelm on the hubsa today.. can we setup a meeting to get them arrested or beaten up?

his new name is Donald .

same story and he only targets specialized bikes

Hi Lodolouw,

You've received an Email response to your Ad "Specialized Sworks Epic 2013 *Used*" on The Hub.

NB: You must reply directly to this email. The message does not appear on your advert.

----------------------------------------------

Good day i'm kindly replying to your bikes can you be able to meet up with my young brother he is studying there in cape town

Donald 0786605221 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 0786605221 FREE end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Sent by: tambo.c.organisation@gmail.com

-----------------------------------------------

View your advert here: https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/76753-specialized-sworks-epic-2013-used/

Hi

hi

I have been contacted by this skelm on the hubsa today.. can we setup a meeting to get them arrested or beaten up?

his new name is Donald .

same story and he only targets specialized bikes

I've banned the user and will keep a lookout.

Please hit the report button on any PM like this.

Hi

I've banned the user and will keep a lookout.

Please hit the report button on any PM like this.

dont ban him, let a few guys go meet the guy, with baseball bats off course.

i agree. try get the cops to go with undercover and arrest the guy. Or take a few fellow hubbers with and make sure he isn't able to ride a bike again.....

hehehe, joke of the day, cops go with... sure...

G

i agree. try get the cops to go with undercover and arrest the guy. Or take a few fellow hubbers with and make sure he isn't able to ride a bike again.....