E-toll and your bike rack

RallyRob

How’s this for scary.

On my way to work on Friday morning of last week I collected my bike from the bike shop where it had been serviced and continued to the office…..my Nissan Navara is fitted with a 3-bike Thule EuroWay towbar mounted rack.

Imagine my surprise when on Tuesday of this week I received a “Class Discrepancy Notification” from SANRAL advising that their records indicate a discrepancy between the class registered on my e-toll account and that recorded during a transaction.

Basically because of my bike rack the system re-classified my vehicle as class B which meant an increase of nearly 300% in the applicable toll fees.

Now the interesting part…..the aforementioned document includes a statement which basically means that if I don’t sort this matter out then my vehicle will be permanently reclassified under class B with significantly higher toll fees applicable.

“Should this matter not be resolved your registered vehicle class will be changed to the vehicle class detected by our system”

Did you know…..some research into this matter revealed the following:

“Vehicles making use of the Gauteng e-road are classified in accordance with a combination of the length and / or height of the vehicle, while vehicles making use of other toll roads are classified in terms of the vehicle axles and / or number of wheels”

Based on this statement one must wonder about the implications for cyclists in general as not only could a towbar mounted bike rack have an impact on your e-toll account, but even a roof mounted carrier as this will greatly increase the calculated height of your vehicle (especially if there is an actual bike mounted thereon) and in so doing affect the overall size.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How’s this for scary.

On my way to work on Friday morning of last week I collected my bike from the bike shop where it had been serviced and continued to the office…..my Nissan Navara is fitted with a 3-bike Thule EuroWay towbar mounted rack.

Imagine my surprise when on Tuesday of this week I received a “Class Discrepancy Notification” from SANRAL advising that their records indicate a discrepancy between the class registered on my e-toll account and that recorded during a transaction.

Basically because of my bike rack the system re-classified my vehicle as class B which meant an increase of nearly 300% in the applicable toll fees.

Now the interesting part…..the aforementioned document includes a statement which basically means that if I don’t sort this matter out then my vehicle will be permanently reclassified under class B with significantly higher toll fees applicable.

“Should this matter not be resolved your registered vehicle class will be changed to the vehicle class detected by our system”

“Vehicles making use of the Gauteng e-road are classified in accordance with a combination of the length and / or height of the vehicle, while vehicles making use of other toll roads are classified in terms of the vehicle axles and / or number of wheels”

Based on this statement one must wonder about the implications for cyclists in general as not only could a towbar mounted bike rack have an impact on your e-toll account, but even a roof mounted carrier as this will greatly increase the calculated height of your vehicle (especially if there is an actual bike mounted thereon) and in so doing affect the overall size.

I had the same concern regarding the towing of trailer (ie Venter or other)/ caravan. Usually a vehicle and trailer/caravan combination is classified in the Class 1 category. Seems like the new "system" (....and systems are developed by fail-for-sure human beings) will put you in a new class category or even better, just bill you twice. The trailer/caravan has its own registration plate. Proving your compliance and getting your money back will be a "hurry-up-and-wait" exercise.

another prime example of SANRAL raping consumers and more underhanded thievery. should never have gotten an E-tag there mate. now they have you, just like a tv licence, even when you are dead they will want payment!!

How’s this for scary.

Please send this to a news agency like EWN or so on... This will run like the wind and these idiots might just wake up... All of us must just keep on getting the news to spread. More influential people will keep on fighting and we need to give them ammunition

Please send this to a news agency like EWN or so on... This will run like the wind and these idiots might just wake up... All of us must just keep on getting the news to spread. More influential people will keep on fighting and we need to give them ammunition

100% agree. Lets show the system for just how stupid it is.

My mother in law has received a bill via sms for R51-00 and she has not even registered!

Not sure if its legit?

Also - she has not driven under any gantries since they were activated!!!

System collapsing already!

I love SANRAL - just like any other government department...they claim to be right and the onus is on YOU to fix the problem (even though you have limited access to the info).

Farking cANCer - here's hoping they will be voted into submission this year. Surely there can't be that many uneducated racist voters out there? Oh wait. Yes there are. News24 is proof of that.