Max heart rates and the fuzzy stuff around them.

Sbloomer

I'm getting back into cycling but have been starting to go to gym to do some cardio. I've been inactive for some time because of the need for bilateral THR.

I'm 42 and the (discredited it seems) max heart rate for me is 178.

Now, the last couple of times I've been at spinning classes, my average HR has been around 156, with my max around 181. Even at 181 it doesn't feel like i'm going to fall over and die. At the end of the session I feel tired, but good.

Now several articles suggest not exceeding 85% Max HR for any length of time, with statement like it hurts your recovery. But if i stick to less than 85% sometimes I feel I haven't done anything worthwhile.

Should I be worried and tone it down? Get to a doc to see what my real max HR is?

My resting HR is about 70-75 at the moment FWIW.

Thanks!

Max heart rates are very individualised - and the calculation is just a guideline - the only way to determine it with any level of accuracy is to specifically test to find out what it is.

If you have been inactive for several years, at your age you should have a cadiac stress test done by a cardiologist, before engaging in too strenuous an exercise program.

And while you are getting checked up - assuming you are a male - get your prostate tested too... it's a blood test.. :)

Edited by V12man

I'm getting back into cycling but have been starting to go to gym to do some cardio. I've been inactive for some time because of the need for bilateral THR.

I'm 42 and the (discredited it seems) max heart rate for me is 178.

Now, the last couple of times I've been at spinning classes, my average HR has been around 156, with my max around 181. Even at 181 it doesn't feel like i'm going to fall over and die. At the end of the session I feel tired, but good.

Now several articles suggest not exceeding 85% Max HR for any length of time, with statement like it hurts your recovery. But if i stick to less than 85% sometimes I feel I haven't done anything worthwhile.

Should I be worried and tone it down? Get to a doc to see what my real max HR is?

My resting HR is about 70-75 at the moment FWIW.

Thanks!

Formulas for calculating Max HR are not always accurate and in some cases not even close.

Yours sounds like one of those cases where its not close.

You can do your own Max HR test quite easy, either on an In Door Trainer or riding on the road.

EDIT: Don't do this unless you know 100% you are capable of handling the stress, you don't want to die or injure yourself.

You will need a HR monitor that can record your max pulse and a long steady hill that you can ride for at least about 5 - 10 minutes without having to stop or go downhill.

< Warm up at least 15 - 20 minutes.

< Do 3 - 4 hard 2 minute efforts with 1 minute recovery in between, these are just to get you really warmed up.

< Within 1 minute of the last hard effort proceed up the hill at a good pace (+/- 75% of full speed)

< Stay seated and Increase your speed slightly every minute until you REALLY cannot increase the speed any more, THEN stand and sprint as hard as you can until you see black spots or feel like your going to be sick OR for about 10 - 20 seconds...you should not be able to carry on cycling without stopping for a rest or free wheeling.

< Check your pulse monitor for the Max HR reading it recorded, this should be much closer to your real Max HR..... EDIT: and then add another 3 bpm to the recorded max.

If you do this on an IDT (i.e. no hill) then you start at a high resistance and increase your speed every minute using your gears and or resistance setting, don't do it to quickly or increase the resistance to much as you want to take about 5 - 10 minutes to gradually increase your HR before making the final max sprint.

Or you could save yourself the pain and use your lactic threshold (LTH) or functional threshold power (FTP) to calculate training zones, google it

Everyone should do one Max HR test in their sporting life :devil:

Edited by SwissVan

Max heart rates are very individualised - and the calculation is just a guideline - the only way to determine it with any level of accuracy is to specifically test to find out what it is.

If you have been inactive for several years, at your age you should have a cadiac stress test done by a cardiologist, before engaging in too strenuous an exercise program.

And while you are getting checked up - assuming you are a male - get your prostate tested too... it's a blood test.. :)

what he said - great advice there

I've yet to do a full on Max Test but i've been going on the upper levels I've hit in training (not racing) which is around the 192 mark. I'd say that is probablly 90% to be honest as I've yet to do the 'get as far as you can THEN stand and sprint until you're going to be sick / black out / die / implode and explode all at once'.

Just been as far as metal taste in mouth, pounding heartbeat in in head, mass pain, can't talk really - Need to apply Rule 5 and get out of the saddle. ;)

I've yet to do a full on Max Test but i've been going on the upper levels I've hit in training (not racing) which is around the 192 mark. I'd say that is probablly 90% to be honest as I've yet to do the 'get as far as you can THEN stand and sprint until you're going to be sick / black out / die / implode and explode all at once'.

Just been as far as metal taste in mouth, pounding heartbeat in in head, mass pain, can't talk really - Need to apply Rule 5 and get out of the saddle. ;)

Ahhhh its not max HR unless you done the test.... :devil:

Actually when doing a Max HR test some coaches recommend adding another a few more (+/-3) bpm to the recorded max, because most of us start slowing down before they reach 100%, survival instinct kicks in via the "Central Governor"...

If some of you are interested in doing a max test (VO2, lactate, HRmax, etc.) and also muscle strength testing of quads and hammies (electronically) in a controlled environment (lab), send/pop/throw me a PM with your contact details and what you specifically want. Based in Pretoria so can accomodate from surrounding areas.

PS: Steak on your back with hungry Rottie chasing will also help in determining max HR.

Ahhhh its not max HR unless you done the test.... :devil:

Actually when doing a Max HR test some coaches recommend adding another a few more (+/-3) bpm to the recorded max, because most of us start slowing down before they reach 100%, survival instinct kicks in via the "Central Governor"...

That's why Friel recommends putting a gun to your head, or letting a lion loose immediately after doing the normal max hr test. Then you get your real max.

Further notes:

• Max HR running != Max HR cycling. Do it on a bicycle.
  • Do the test fresh. Don't do it the same week as a hard training session.

Thanks for the input everyone. Can anyone recommend a cardiologist I can go to in the Cape Town CBD or Table View areas, and how much a Max HR test is likely to cost?

Edited by Sbloomer

Thanks for the input everyone. Can anyone recommend a cardiologist I can go to in the Cape Town CBD or Table View areas, and how much a Max HR test is likely to cost?

Wouter Basson - http://www.medpages.co.za/sf/index.php?page=person&personcode=25505

GREAT cardiologist.. and not too far from you - ignore the hype about his public profile - he is a brilliant clinician.

He won't do the max HR test with you - you can do that on your own. :)

EDIT: Don't do this unless you know 100% you are capable of handling the stress, you don't want to die or injure yourself.

The human body will compensate by shutting down well before a self regulated stress test will cause death or injury. Our brain just won't let us carry on, which is why training without a program and plan never produces results.

The human body will compensate by shutting down well before a self regulated stress test will cause death or injury. Our brain just won't let us carry on, which is why training without a program and plan never produces results.

Ummm.... NO... there is a mortality associated with cardiac stress tests - and we never normally even take them close to a calculated max HR test.

Don't attempt to do a max test unless you are sure you are capable - that's the bottom line.

I do agree that training without a plan might not produce the results you want - but it is still better than not training.

Ummm.... NO... there is a mortality associated with cardiac stress tests - and we never normally even take them close to a calculated max HR test.

Don't attempt to do a max test unless you are sure you are capable - that's the bottom line.

I do agree that training without a plan might not produce the results you want - but it is still better than not training.

or dying....

Agreed, but I was referring more to people who might have an abnormal or unknown medical condition such as heart disease, artery restriction..... You don't want to find out the hard way