Demise of XCO in SA

NicoBoshoff

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My "issue" with XCO is my fitness. In a XCO race there's nowehere to hide. You can't hang at the back of the field and cruise along, cos then you'll get lapped sooner rather than later. (Is the rule that you're eliminated if you're lapped?).

This is especially relevant on a short course like the Slammer. That's probably the main reason why I'm not entering the race this weekend. I'd really love to do it, and I love the Slammer, but I don't want to be lapped by some super racer while I'm doing my second lap.

In official or correctly managed events the 80% rule is used. This means that if you are not within 80% of the leaders lap times then you are pulled from the course, regardless of the number of laps you have done (unless its the final lap...once the first 3 are in on the final lap, everyone gets pulled)

Obviously 80% rule is not applicable on the 1st lap...I think its determined by officials during the event and depends in that particular events lap times etc

Edited by Griffin

I don't think XCO will never be really big outside of the pro circuit, and even within the pro circuit it will never be a really popular sport that will be followed and watched by millions. In all honesty its quite boring to do and to watch with the strongest riders getting up front and staying out in front for most of the race with the only excitement being the occasional last lap show-down between two strong guys. I think the the only reason why talented riders race XCO, is because its the only high profile and regular MTB format for non-DH riders on the UCI calendar and it pays the highest salaries.

I think that in future stage races like the Epic will be way more popular to watch (as the case with the TDF compared to track cycling). The major problem with stage races from a spectator point of view is the 2-man team format. This closes the door for any tactics and once again it boils down to the strongest teams dominating from stage 1.

To me the ultimate MTB race format from a spectator point of view would be to have different stages that suite different riders as with road races. Some stages being extremely technical, others long and flat, some days with sick long climbs and descents etc. At the moment the organizers are packing all of these types of riding into virtually every stage, making it possible for a single type of rider (like Kulhavy) to dominate and win every stage. I reckon something like the Epic can reach the similar popularity to the TDF by mixing it up a little and dropping the 2 man format.

I guess they pick which arena they want to expose themselves on.

On an international level, yes there is XCM, but the XCO gets far more exposure. I don't follow XC racing in general, but I can name a good few top XCO riders. As for XCM... I could probably only name the ones that do XCO as their main discipline (excludng local pro's because most of them are XCM focused)..

On a local level however, XM does get more exposure because it's more accessible to the masses. Take the Nissan series for instance. It gets housewives and weekend warriors "racing" (even if it's only for 20km).

So for max local exposure... XCM makes sense... but for getting riders exposed on an international level, I think XCO would do better.

Look at last years World Champs. Our top elite riders (in fact pretty much ALL of them) got completely schooled in the XCO. Our best finishing male placed 47th (out of 75). Out of all the SA males, him and another were the only 2 not to get lapped. Our top female rider was 34th out of 47th. All our ladies got lapped. (At the same time, we had a DH elite male privateer place 23rd out of 68. Not bad at all).

So before people think I'm sayng "everyone should be a DH rider"... Im not. I'm simply saying that due to lack of XCO training, races, and promotion, our "SA Sponsored Superstars" are somewhat out of their depth on an international level. They're all great riders, I'm pretty sure of that. And I'd get a royal hiding trying to keep up with them on many a ride... BUT the game needs to be upped if they plan to be the next Burry or Nino. And again... that will only happen if more drive goes into XCO events.

Well said and my sentiment exactly....XCM allows thousands of participants to ride / race together...it will be too challenging ito course / logistics in other formats...XCM is the dagga of the mtb world. Gateway.

Sponsers want airtime and will put up events that will them the best bang for buck...more XCM kit will be sold and the wheels of the bus go round and round...But this isn't a bad thing...it just is what it is.

I think the Spur schools challenge will make a difference for the youngsters, they just need to get more and keep current sponsors.

As for myself, I dont like the shorter distance, why because I am 35 and never going to be a pro at XC or win anything major, so I do what I love, longer distances and as much technical as what wherever I am riding can offer. Anything over 50km I am happy (event wise).

My kids have already made sure I know that they will only go to a high school that has a mtb team and participate in the Spur challenge :)

I don't think XCO will never be really big outside of the pro circuit, and even within the pro circuit it will never be a really popular sport that will be followed and watched by millions. In all honesty its quite boring to do and to watch with the strongest riders getting up front and staying out in front for most of the race with the only excitement being the occasional last lap show-down between two strong guys. I think the the only reason why talented riders race XCO, is because its the only high profile and regular MTB format for non-DH riders on the UCI calendar and it pays the highest salaries.

I think that in future stage races like the Epic will be way more popular to watch (as the case with the TDF compared to track cycling). The major problem with stage races from a spectator point of view is the 2-man team format. This closes the door for any tactics and once again it boils down to the strongest teams dominating from stage 1.

To me the ultimate MTB race format from a spectator point of view would be to have different stages that suite different riders as with road races. Some stages being extremely technical, others long and flat, some days with sick long climbs and descents etc. At the moment the organizers are packing all of these types of riding into virtually every stage, making it possible for a single type of rider (like Kulhavy) to dominate and win every stage. I reckon something like the Epic can reach the similar popularity to the TDF by mixing it up a little and dropping the 2 man format.

Good point...drama sells, and XCM will no doubt have more of that

XCO is the only Olympic MTB Discipline...at the moment. Sponsors and bike brands will continue to drive is cause here is no better platform to get exposure than at Olympics. Maybe this plays a role as to why it remains the discipline of choice for the Pro's.

As to which discipline is better for spectators..hmm..thats debatable. I personally prefer XCO. Why? I get to see the riders more than once...on different sections of the the course....and all within the space of a morning (or afternoon).

That doesn't mean I wouldn't watch Epic or something similar, but in all honesty , as much as I would like to , I cant afford the time to spend multiple days out on a route watching.

Another format I dig, ok probably because Lopes cleaned up, is the XC eliminator. Don't know if it was just Brian making all the other guys look bad, but the format looked fun too.

XCE looks awesome! It looks like a it would be a lot of fun, and the main reason I'm saying that is because it's so fun to watch...it would be cool if XCE recieved more coverage too.

Boring....Really ?? Have you ever watched an XCO world cup?

post-4006-0-42127600-1390283897_thumb.jpg

post-4006-0-83072600-1390283911_thumb.jpg

There is a very good reason why XCO is a popular world cup sport, and an Olympic sport. It requires the perfect combination of skill and fitness, and in addition to that it is very exciting to watch, and very spectator friendly.

Stage races like the Epic will grow in popularity, but will never have the spectators that International XCO races draw, because most of the big climbs where the hard racing happens, cannot be reached by any vehicle, and most of those sections are on private land. So it is an access issue. The Cape Epic will be very expensive to televise, which is why they only do it on the first and last stage. An XCO World cup race can be televised completely, and I bet the cost is a lot lower because you don't require a helicopter etc.

I'm not so sure, AFAIK in the US and Europe as with cyclo-cross there are different levels of racing/bunches (i.e. pros, funriders, over 50s, etc.)

Edited by Flowta

About seven years ago, we started getting our kids into it. But the fields were tiny back then. When I started MTB, XCO was the most common and regular type of race. Club races drew bigger fields than provincials and nationals when my boys started it years later.

About seven years ago, we started getting our kids into it. But the fields were tiny back then. When I started MTB, XCO was the most common and regular type of race. Club races drew bigger fields than provincials and nationals when my boys started it years later.

and now days we dont even have club races anymore. Used to be a regular thing here in JHB. Each club would take a turn in holding an event. Flat dogs (Rietvlei), Rock hoppers (Phambili)etc

post-4006-0-42127600-1390283897_thumb.jpg

post-4006-0-83072600-1390283911_thumb.jpg

There is a very good reason why XCO is a popular world cup sport, and an Olympic sport. It requires the perfect combination of skill and fitness, and in addition to that it is very exciting to watch, and very spectator friendly.

Stage races like the Epic will grow in popularity, but will never have the spectators that International XCO races draw, because most of the big climbs where the hard racing happens, cannot be reached by any vehicle, and most of those sections are on private land. So it is an access issue. The Cape Epic will be very expensive to televise, which is why they only do it on the first and last stage. An XCO World cup race can be televised completely, and I bet the cost is a lot lower because you don't require a helicopter etc.

Let me re-phrase. I personally like to watch XCO, but mainly because i'm a bike rider myself, have appreciation for the technical sections etc. I also know that it is popular and very spectator friendly with a lot of followers and fans etc.

But still, the entire XCO season (with all 8 or so races combined over multiple continents) probably have <20% of the viewers and followers in comparison to the Tour de France and I do not expect that XCO viewing and popularity will ever reach similar levels.

On the other hand, I do believe that the Epic (as an example) has the ability to grow to Tour de France status (permitting certain changes in terms of the route and team format) with potentially a 5X increase in viewers, followers, sponsorships and contracts that what XCO can potentially bring. Yes, it is expensive to televise, but if the Cape Epic would have similar exposure to the tour de france it won't be more than one year before every stage is televised and land-owners grant fans access to mountain-top finishes.

I'm not running XCO down, I just don't think that the majority of people around the world will get together to watch a XCO race in the same way get together to watch Rugby, Soccer or F1.

I have huge appreciation for the demands of a world cup XCO race but I also find it boring to watch on TV. Most times a certain rider has the advantage on that track and because you just have several laps of the same track it becomes a procession.

For mass market sports you need some drama which I find lacking. Somebody who didn't play cricket can enjoy the thrills of a close T20 finish because there is drama but you need to be a XC rider yourself to appreciate the skill needed to circulate that track.

That nobody in their right mind would say that there was too much singletrack at a venue.

Okay - in a "race" like the MTB Burger or theMTB Argus, too much ST is a bad thing purely 'cos of the numbers. But as for normal events with a smaller attendance, singletrack (or dual track so that there are passing opportunities) is the ideal scenario. Threshold all the time, concentration, technical skill and so on. And if you're not ready for a certain section - USE THE B LINE!!!

1. If there is too much single track at the MTB burger or Argus, you need to train harder - once you get fit enough to start in a decent group and hammer the first few k's to get out of the traffic it is a case of more is always more.

2. this topic is almost as stupid as a wheel size debate