there's lids. And then there's lids.

Guest notmyname

Guest notmyname

Good afternoon Hubbers

I am currently in the market for a new lid. As much as it pains me breaking the bank is not really an option as I'm trying to smash credit cards asap.

I stopped at the Cycle lab in little falls this morning and the shop assistant recommended the First Ascent "Galea"(R880).

Has anyone here owned one? Are they any good? This is my pip after all... Should I just bite the bullet and look at something in the price range of a Catlike "leaf"(R1200 from velolife)

Any feed back or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I cant comment on the Galea, but i have the Leaf and it is comfortable and not to hot (has enough vents).

I haven't had a major fall with it, so can't comment on protection.

Catlike also only give 30% back if you break the helmut, where the other manufacturers give up to 50% if I am not mistaken.

Bell also have some nice helmuts for under R1000. I had the Ukon, which isn't the prettiest helmut but did the job for 2 years.

Edited by Craig501

My understanding is that there is not much difference in protection in helmets - they're all expanded polystyrene and all cushion roughly the same. I am no expert tho, and am sure I will be told otherwise. Not sure I will believe it tho ;-)

Polystyrene squashes on impact - which is why you should replace your helmet if you use it (i.e. fall on your noggin). Or at least make sure you fall on a new place each time.

Guest notmyname

Thank you for the insight hubbers. Looks like I need to dig a little deeper into the interwebs.

yup the only difference is wheight, wheight weeny lids are super expensive, then breathing (vents) are important, and lastly depending on what type of riding lids like the fox flux that are more trail orientated I would recommend for XC as it protects the back of the head better. Last thing is comfort and padding. The more expensive lids have better padding, but I always cycle with a buff so i never feel the diff between my expensive and cheaper lids.

Look at the Bell Ukon. It's about R500 and you get a crash replacement policy of 70%. That means 70% off the price of the helmet you have purchased towards another one if you damage it in a crash.

Road or MTB? If MTB, check out the Kali range. Well priced, decent quality and good looking.

Definitely in agreement with Wayne about not buying second hand though. Crash damage is often invisible.

how long do these lids last....my bell is now about 5 years old.....can I get a rebate if I hand in the old one when buying a new one?

All helmets pass the same quality check standards, no matter if you got it from Makro for R150 or R 2000 from your LBS

If you have a R 150 head, buy a R 150 helmet.... :-)

Love my Rudy Project Zuma, wish I had the dough for a Sterling!

Here's a Zuma:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/74853-new-rudy-project-zuma-helmet/

But check them out at the LBS first, according to the size chart I should take a S/M, but was too small and I had to take a L.