Road Bike frame too small

cas247

Hi guys

I'm a newbie to road cycling

I just bought a 2nd hand road bike yesterday from a 2nd hand bike dealer

He told me the bike is a 52/54 and confirmed it's the right size for me, took it for a test drive and it felt a bit small, but bought it anyway.

I came home and it measures 50cm, I'm 1.75m and was measured to be a 54/55

My question is will a longer seat post and stem sort out my problem?

post-52374-0-09357000-1391066196_thumb.jpg

One size doesnt fit all. take into account, inside leg length and upperbody lenght. all needs to be taken into consideration. but my guess is that being 175, even a 52 would feel a bit cramped.

Firstly, the frame size is to be measured from center of the BB to an imaginary horizontal line of your top tube and this can sometimes give you a skewed measurement if you have a sloping top tube. Looking at the pic I don't think this is the case here though.

As for the right size I am 174 and had a 52 for a couple of years and it was fine, but did feel a bit twitchy at times, and currently I ride a 54.

On the other side Mark Cavendish who is also 175 has just dropped another bike size this season down to a 48 to gain a sprint advantage.

Bottom line therefore... a 50 with longer stem and seatpost can work if you like a responsive ride but:

If it doesn't feel right on first ride it isn't right

Just a question:

Why dont you go back to the dealer, obviously it seems he misled you, or am I missing something?