Vegetable gardens at home.

Mojoman

I had a capsicum and jalepeno plant that one of my dogs ate!!!! peppers and all. The jalepeno was too far gone. Managed to save the capsicum, caged it, protected it etc till it grew back and looked better, Removed the fencing and a day later it was nothing but a little twig sticking out the soil. weird dog!!!!!!!

I had a dog go after a Hibicus like that. Ate the flowers off, then attacked the actual plant.

It had a wire cage around it, we found him inside the cage, stuck and couldn't get out. He had ripped the plant out, roots and all. It was as if he had a mission to destroy it COMPLETELY!!!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a capsicum and jalepeno plant that one of my dogs ate!!!! peppers and all. The jalepeno was too far gone. Managed to save the capsicum, caged it, protected it etc till it grew back and looked better, Removed the fencing and a day later it was nothing but a little twig sticking out the soil. weird dog!!!!!!!

Our dogs ate quite a lot of our veg but very carefully so the plants were not destroyed at all but the veg were gone.  We thought  it was something else eating it  until we saw the dogs actually doing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I have a question on raised vegetable beds. Planning on building one in our garden.

I'm planning on building one that is raised off the ground slightly, so bottom of the bed will be around 15cm off the ground and then 60cm high (the bed itself - total height would be 75cm). Width 1.5m, length 1.8m

Having never done something like this before I've done a little reading online but thought I'd check a few things here.

1.) What should I construct the bottom of the bed out of? If I use wood it will be the strongest but I'd imagine I'd have to then put some stones at the bottom before putting dirt in to help with drainage.

Another option would be to put some wooden slats across the bottom for strength and then chicken wire or something with a smaller grid on the bottom which water could drain out of.

And then what other things should I be considering which I've probably overlooked?

Bed will be located in a sunny spot.

Thanks

Suurings stems are high in Vitamin C

The flowers are great as well to eat

Whenever I find them, I pick a few hands full to put in a salad, flowers and all. Sometimes I just chuck them in whole, sometimes I cut them up like you would do with chives. Not only delicious, but also make any salad very attractive with the yellow flowers. 

• 1 month later...

Have Gems, Pumpkin and butternut pushing through.

And the chili  plant is flowering like crazy having survived a not to frosty winter.

Stunning time of the year. Now for some rain please

I have been diligently watering our little veggie patch, to call it a garden would be an exaggeration,  and it is really flourishing.

So much so that the rocket and basil is seeding before we have even been able to really harvest......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Indeed snails. Looks like the typical brown garden snail eggs.

Thanks. And do I lay down some snail poison or is that going overboard?

Thanks. And do I lay down some snail poison or is that going overboard?

Till that section, so you  get the eggs below ground where they'll die, no need to poison yet.