What's happening with the alleged new trails in the cradle?

manbearpig

First section of Cradle of Humankind MTB trail nearing completion

After a short break over the festive season, the mountain bike trail construction team is back on site at the Cradle of Humankind.

The team has begun constructing the next section of the trail - from the Bridge crossing past the Rhino and Lion reserve further up the trail. The Working for Fire team is once again assisting with the trail corridor clearance, and the first 4 km of the trail is nearing completion.

And more good news: an event organiser has asked the Cradle of Humankind management team if they can use part of the trail for a mountain biking event in February. This event will help the team form a better picture of what would be required if we are to regularly permit events here. Every safety precaution will be used at the event, including marshals at the major road intersections to manage traffic and riders. We'll keep you posted.

Thanks to everyone who has respected our call to stay off the trails thus far. For safety reasons please continue to heed this call, although you are welcome to visit on foot to inspect the trail work and discuss progress with the trail crew.

Please don't hesitate to contact us with any queries or requests for further information:

Gail Jennings (gail@gailjennings.co.za) or Hein Pienaar (hein@gauteng.net or 0824546617).

Please visit the project website to see the map of the proposed trail, construction updates, meeting report backs and more.

I have seen a sign that says "under construction - The Cradle Mountain Bike Trail". So that looks like its taking shape, then there is also some stuff happening at Heia Safari. Kings Kloof is also in the vicinity.

Hopefully the event organizer wont be spray painting arrows all over the place like what has occurred in Magalies over the last couple of years!

The warrior race @ Heia sees the official launch of "Hero Adventure Park" this weekend - 50km of trails over 4 or 5 routes, marked openwater / dam swims and trail running.

was there last weekend for a lunch and the trails looked lekker. Not 100% of pricing, but a figure of R30 was thrown at me. It's cradlish....

• 3 weeks later...

The warrior race @ Heia sees the official launch of "Hero Adventure Park" this weekend - 50km of trails over 4 or 5 routes, marked openwater / dam swims and trail running.

was there last weekend for a lunch and the trails looked lekker. Not 100% of pricing, but a figure of R30 was thrown at me. It's cradlish....

Rode the Hero Park trails at Heia Safari on Saturday.

They've put a huge amount of work into them, they're really good.

I'm just not crazy about the "noodle" effect they have, similar to those at Avianto,

If you look at a map of trails, it looks like a bowl of noodles.

They're trying to get more distance into a smaller area.

Don't get me wrong, not saying there's anything wrong with that.. it's just not for me.

I rode the blue and yellow route, I'll definitely go back some time to try the red, looks to be less "Noodle" like ;)

the venue is excellent though,beautiful place.

rode past Zebras, Giraffe , all sorts of other game and the lake is stunning ...

oh, and it's R30 to ride, (R20 board deposit)

Rode the Hero Park trails at Heia Safari on Saturday.

Ya, it's very windy, I rode it for the first time on Saturday too :) It was the first day that the yellow route was opened apparently, though I've seen some other guys have ridden the route.

I thoroughly enjoyed the yellow route. Downhill rock gardens in the forest near the start, constant pace changes and the dips and rises that sneak up. Floating bridge. Riding through old buildings. Great marking and just generally a great trail. (though very "unflowy"). The biggest gripe I had with the route was the huge knee-deep mud pond about 10km in - I really don't enjoy riding with my bb and hubs submerged in muddy slush on a casual ride, and there was no chicken run around it.

Here's the noodles....

post-16445-0-33863100-1392621749_thumb.png

(though very "unflowy").

yip, totally agree ... that's where I'm hoping the Red route will differ.

"The biggest gripe I had with the route was the huge knee-deep mud pond about 10km in - I really don't enjoy riding with my bb and hubs submerged in muddy slush on a casual ride, and there was no chicken run around it."

I don't think this was intentional.

I'm sure this was due to the rains of late, with it being in the trees like that, I doubt much sun got to it, to dry it up.

Edited by L.T.G

I thought it might have been one of the obstacles from the Warrior... if not intentional, they should definitely build a chicken run around it - there's a place for track along the left, just needs some hacking.

Howzit guys

re the mud pool , yes all the rain has given us nighmares with massive section of route been damaged and a few sections flooded , we have made a chicken run on that piece , but it has dried up

thank you for the comments and as with anything we learn and try to listen to the advice . most of the close windy sections :noodles":) are on the blue route , yes it was done in some parts to get more distance , but also to keep newbies close to the main buildings yet still get about 13km in . we have spread the other routes out and tried to make them as fun and different as possible

the routes are still very new and besides the 15 odd km not yet open we have allot of additions to the existing routes coming over the next few months

they include :

opening up sharp turns

Berms , ALLOT OF BERMS

permanent water points

and a number of new features

but as with everything , budget and time !!! , but it will happen over next few months

we value the comments and advice so please keep them coming

next Friday night 28th is the Jozi Night mtb and trail run , check out the facebook page :Hero Adventure Park and join , its going to be insane

So.. rode the Red route at Heia Safari. Really enjoyed it!

A shorter route, but much more flow than the yellow.

I reckon a double loop and half of the yellow noodles will give you a nice 2-3hour ride.

a couple pics I took while out there today...

post-6012-0-73440600-1393066965_thumb.jpg

post-6012-0-04758100-1393067039_thumb.jpg

Where do these trails start and finish. Other than Avianto, is there a venue one rides from?

i see them and out of respect have not hopped on to some of the sections along the roads but if they can be ridden, where does one go to start and pay and be a good citizen of Cradle land.

Are these by the same guys that built Avianto, because that would explain the lack of flow and inability to build nice speed up, as they try to get too many kms in a limited space.

Why not connect all these trails up. Avianto, Heia, Northern etc?

Seems like all these little parks are trying to squeeze everyone in to their boundaries to allow them to charge, and the trails suffer.

My 2 cents worth...

I see the track alongside the road down to the Lion & Rhino park roundabout was used in the race last weekend. (in the climbing direction)

I see the track alongside the road down to the Lion & Rhino park roundabout was used in the race last weekend. (in the climbing direction)

Yes saw that. But that makes no sense.

There was some other stuff that was included near the sterkfontein turn off but that was also used by the same race in years past. So I don't think its new.

This is like an enigma. Trails exist but they are only known to jose with secret inside know how...

Yes saw that. But that makes no sense.

There was some other stuff that was included near the sterkfontein turn off but that was also used by the same race in years past. So I don't think its new.

This is like an enigma. Trails exist but they are only known to jose with secret inside know how...

Sorry , meant those in the know...