Coronation Double Century 2014

GaryvdM

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just done the One Tonner, the furest I've ridden so far, and finnished 7h30m, it was a very tough day out. I'm registered for DC and now worried if i'm going to enjoy it at all.

Comparing the profiles of the two makes me even more concerned. To those who have done it, is the downhill after the Op de Tradouw (hope thats the correct name) at about the 65km mark as good as it looks? Not sure what the prevailing winds are like it that area. Is turning around in Robertson going to be good or bad for the wind direction? Please bear in mind I'm not racing snake, more buffalo. Probably in about 4ish hour Argus condition at the moment.

I've just done the One Tonner, the furest I've ridden so far, and finnished 7h30m, it was a very tough day out. I'm registered for DC and now worried if i'm going to enjoy it at all.

Comparing the profiles of the two makes me even more concerned. To those who have done it, is the downhill after the Op de Tradouw (hope thats the correct name) at about the 65km mark as good as it looks? Not sure what the prevailing winds are like it that area. Is turning around in Robertson going to be good or bad for the wind direction? Please bear in mind I'm not racing snake, more buffalo. Probably in about 4ish hour Argus condition at the moment.

Still a month left for you to put some hard effort in - according to me the DC is not a lot tougher than the One Tonner - all depends on your team composition and willingness to work together

Still a month left for you to put some hard effort in - according to me the DC is not a lot tougher than the One Tonner - all depends on your team composition and willingness to work together

I agree if your Team works well together than you will be fine, and the DC starts at the Rooibrug when turning for the Stormsvlei Road :mellow:

Drove back from Stellenbosch to Durbanville at around 3h00 and was surprised to see a number of guys/girls still soldiering on in the heat/wind, that must have been close to 8 hours out there for them? Big respect from me for sticking it out until the finish  :thumbup: 

Duncan - I think the One Tonner gave you a good idea of what to expect at the DC, they are similar in difficulty imo, with a month to go there is still enough time to work on the fitness to make the DC a bit easier, but if you survived yesterday you should finish the DC.  

I nearly DIED out there yesterday, but figured it was a training ride for DC, so rather than missing the cutoff, I just made sure I got there. I did, but could barely get through the neutral zone to my car.

Depending on how hard you started yesterday and with the heat and the wind at the end the race it could have been harder than the DC for you.

Entries were capped at 2000 for the race. Only 1250 finishers....... That says a whole lot.

DC normally starts easy and unless you are in the racing teams you arent riding above your threshold at all. The toughness of the DC comes in from 160 when you are tired from sitting, everything hurts and you are thirsty and hot.

The one tonner yesterday was tough. I saw lots of guys go hard early and a lot of them hit the wall hard.

You need to get some distance in the legs though if that was the furthest you have ridden. 

For your own mind's sake try and do at least one or two 200 km rides with your group within the next few weeks. 

Do your last big big ride two weeks before so that you are fresh for the day.

Depending on how hard you started yesterday and with the heat and the wind at the end the race it could have been harder than the DC for you.

Entries were capped at 2000 for the race. Only 1250 finishers....... That says a whole lot.

DC normally starts easy and unless you are in the racing teams you arent riding above your threshold at all. The toughness of the DC comes in from 160 when you are tired from sitting, everything hurts and you are thirsty and hot.

The one tonner yesterday was tough. I saw lots of guys go hard early and a lot of them hit the wall hard.

You need to get some distance in the legs though if that was the furthest you have ridden. 

For your own mind's sake try and do at least one or two 200 km rides with your group within the next few weeks. 

Do your last big big ride two weeks before so that you are fresh for the day.

Spot on.!

Tonner (if ridden individually) and DC are vastly different.

One inevitably gets caught up in "racing" in the early stages of Tonner (only to suffer later), while your team will/should guide the pacing at DC.

Some long rides ove rthe next couple of weeks is a good idea ... if not 200's, try to get really comfortable @ 160/170 and don't leave too big a bridge to cross on d-day.

:thumbup:

Some have even said that the DC is easier than one tonner. :P

Remember on the DC you have two mandated 30min pit stops. This will help you make the cut off.

On Sunday we didn't stop for water and I still feel dehydrated. I know I could have pushed a lot harder in the last 15km if I had just had a stretch, filled up fluids and had a koeksister.

Train for what you are going to do. It's 120km, 30min stop, 40km 30min stop then 40km. I suggested you do one ride like that just so you understand fluids food rest etc.

The down hill is pretty sweet after op tradouw. The worst is the three sisters at the end.

Don't forget the rider who crashed on that downhill last year, he later died in hospital from his injuries. I think he over cooked a corner, hit the mountain head on @ at easily +60kmh

Is it too late to join a team for the DC? I was in C-D group for the One Tonner and finished 4:27 (95th overall). Just wondering if it's too late to join a team and if not, if there's a team that needs another guy.

Our club has a spare full team entry available. PM me if interested.

(edit: apologies for any confusion)

Edited by nuge

Is it too late to join a team for the DC? I was in C-D group for the One Tonner and finished 4:27 (95th overall). Just wondering if it's too late to join a team and if not, if there's a team that needs another guy.

There is a place on the DC site that lets you show your interest and goal time. Try that, there will be positions coming up.

Our club has a spare entry available. PM me if interested.

For individual or complete team.?

I nearly DIED out there yesterday, but figured it was a training ride for DC, so rather than missing the cutoff, I just made sure I got there. I did, but could barely get through the neutral zone to my car.

What makes the DC tougher than the Tonner is the synergy required from the team to succeed