Coronation Double Century 2014

GaryvdM

There is a place on the DC site that lets you show your interest and goal time. Try that, there will be positions coming up.

Thanks! I submitted my details :)

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My team's first attempt at the DC... Any tips from any experienced riders of what/what not to do?

We're not aiming to win it, just to finish it comfortably within the cut off. Any tips around how often we should rotate at the front, whether to wait at the top of hills or bottom of hills for slower climbers, nutrition tips, etc would all be appreciated...

My team's first attempt at the DC... Any tips from any experienced riders of what/what not to do?

We're not aiming to win it, just to finish it comfortably within the cut off. Any tips around how often we should rotate at the front, whether to wait at the top of hills or bottom of hills for slower climbers, nutrition tips, etc would all be appreciated...

Good riding habits come with practice, so hopefully you've been doing this on training rides already.

I'm an advocate for regular rotation ... anything between 30-60s.

It's efficient and also keeps riders focussed.

Since you're not aiming to win, I'd say work on keeping everybody together over the climbs rather than waiting.

Good riding habits come with practice, so hopefully you've been doing this on training rides already.

Since you're not aiming to win, I'd say work on keeping everybody together over the climbs rather than waiting.

Jip, strongest riders / climbers to hang back at the pace of the slowest rider. Can always give a push if necessary.

Frustrating at times for stronger oke, but best for team in the end.

Depends what your teams goals are. You can cruise around chilling and come home in about 8 hours with all 12 riders. Or you can just ride untill you can use the digits on one hand to count the riders around you then stop pushing the tempo and nurse those 5 to the end ;)

Nothing like being the 7th person dropped with 25km to go and suffering with cramp and massive headwind for another hour and a bit.

Once you have been dropped like that you do not miss winter training or team rides, the dreaded thought of crawling back in cramp for last 25km is unbearable.

Im getting shivers of excitement just reading/thinking about it!!! This might help me wake up at 5.30am tomorrow for my hill intensity session. One of my teammates did a 7-hour One Tonner so I am quite bleak at the thought of having to wait for this her...but I guess since others on my team will be faster than I am, they in turn would be waiting for me. I just know I am going to be so frustrated knowing I have trained hard and can do a 7-hour DC but have to hold back. Lesson in patience coming up! 

I can spot a well trained DC team a mile away.  And I get an absolute thrill watching them.  2 abreast... 6 rows... all in their same team colors moving as a unit.  This is one of the reasons why the DC is on my bucket list.  The uniformity of a team .... and of course  all the training leading to it.  :D 

I can spot a well trained DC team a mile away.  And I get an absolute thrill watching them.  2 abreast... 6 rows... all in their same team colors moving as a unit.  This is one of the reasons why the DC is on my bucket list.  The uniformity of a team .... and of course  all the training leading to it.  :D

Not such a thrill to observe if you are in the disorganised team being passed by a slick-looking team working together as a unit....

Not such a thrill to observe if you are in the disorganised team being passed by a slick-looking team working together as a unit....

Know that feeling.

We had a few last minute members in our team pull out and have openings for 4 members. The team is aiming for a ride around 7.30, last year we did 7.51 and completed with a full team. We are a mixed team and train from Durbanville and the aim is once again to complete as a full team, no one get's left behind, but you must be capable of keeping up at a average pace of 27km/hr for entire ride. Both Females and Males welcome.

We have accommodation organised just outside Swellendam for entire weekend @ R500 per person and sponsored Bibs & Tops. Entry fee is R583.

Drop me a PM with your details before Wednesday as we have to finalise team and kit by Thursday.

The quickest formation is one straight stripe. Ride on the front for as long as you can and peel off. If everyone does around a 1 minute turn that gives you 12 minutes to wipe your eyes, clear the snot and stop the bleeding before it happens all over again. (You stick to this and you only ride on the front for 30 minutes, or depending on your point of view, suffer a near death 30 times).

And there is a strategy to choosing who you ride behind. From personal experience:

Avoid the guy with ageing see through shorts. Butt crack for 6 hours is not particularly motivating.

Avoid the 5 foot mountain goat who has a the wind profile of a stick insect. You're effectively starting your turn on the front when you reach spot number 2.

Avoid the monster. This can be a pro, or the guy with legs like tree stumps and the power of a Formula 1 car. Again, just hanging onto his wheel is enough to send you to the back of the pain cave.

Avoid the sweater and/or the ponger. There is always one guy who forgot his deodorant (at least he remembered his shoes). Tasting and smelling a team mate for 6 hours is far more intimate than two bike riders should ever have to get.

Avoid the weaver. Typically a mountain biker or tri-athlete with dubious bunch riding skills and the inability to ride in a straight line. Holding his wheel usually means you do at least 10 extra kilometres.

Avoid the squeaker. It can be a poorly maintained drive train, or a noisy pedal, but much like Chinese water torture, it will drive you insane after 6 hours.

The quickest formation is one straight stripe. Ride on the front for as long as you can and peel off. If everyone does around a 1 minute turn that gives you 12 minutes to wipe your eyes, clear the snot and stop the bleeding before it happens all over again. (You stick to this and you only ride on the front for 30 minutes, or depending on your point of view, suffer a near death 30 times).

And there is a strategy to choosing who you ride behind. From personal experience:

Avoid the guy with ageing see through shorts. Butt crack for 6 hours is not particularly motivating.

Avoid the 5 foot mountain goat who has a the wind profile of a stick insect. You're effectively starting your turn on the front when you reach spot number 2.

Avoid the monster. This can be a pro, or the guy with legs like tree stumps and the power of a Formula 1 car. Again, just hanging onto his wheel is enough to send you to the back of the pain cave.

Avoid the sweater and/or the ponger. There is always one guy who forgot his deodorant (at least he remembered his shoes). Tasting and smelling a team mate for 6 hours is far more intimate than two bike riders should ever have to get.

Avoid the weaver. Typically a mountain biker or tri-athlete with dubious bunch riding skills and the inability to ride in a straight line. Holding his wheel usually means you do at least 10 extra kilometres.

Avoid the squeaker. It can be a poorly maintained drive train, or a noisy pedal, but much like Chinese water torture, it will drive you insane after 6 hours.

Dane, dont you wanna join our mtb team, we looking at 1st mtb over line. +- 6h40 ish