Which Lube Do You Buy....

Shepherd

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only ever tried two - generic Sportman's Warehouse lube and Muc-Off.

Muc-Off works about 50 000 000 times better.

to me it makes sense that motorbike oil would be just as good for mtb's...

I only like long finger gloves, even at the local moto bike shop their gloves as half the price of MTB gloves and move padding on the palms of your hands...

I agree with the new golf statement above...

Lots of interesting different opinions on here regarding the oil to use, will have to experiment around and see what works best.

I use a chain cleaning tool and clean chain often, along with my bike to keep everything clean. Also like to rebuild it often to re apply grease, check bearings etc... Just need a new supply of oil which doesnt cost an arm and a leg...

to me it makes sense that motorbike oil would be just as good for mtb's...

I use this:

http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/Blue-Tac-Chain-Lube.jpg

Don't let JB find this thread because we all gonna be in trouble if he does.

All these so called dry lubes should be up on the shelves next to the 650B/29er and 29er specific saddles arguments. Its all marketing rubbish to convince you to part with your hard earned cash.

Where else in engineering do we see these dry lubes being used on chain drives other than bicycles and maybe motorcycles. Absolutely nowhere, because they all use oil !! its about the only efficient way to lubricate two metal surfaces, and if it works in engines at extreme temperatures and high speeds then imagine how ell it works on a bicycle chain drive.

So stop wasting your money and go buy some engine oil. If its too thin then mix it with 20% chainsaw oil. For less than R 100 you will have oil for 3 years at least.

Remove your chain and clean it properly 2 - 3 times a month. and apply oil.

Other than that, simply dry brush your chain while its on the bike with a hard brush and apply some oil before you ride or after you have washed your bike or been on a wet ride.

Take a small dropper bottle filled with oil on each ride with your tools should you need to re-lube on the trail especially when its dry and dusty or wet.

All these so called dry lubes should be up on the shelves next to the 650B/29er and 29er specific saddles arguments. Its all marketing rubbish to convince you to part with your hard earned cash.

Where else in engineering do we see these dry lubes being used on chain drives other than bicycles and maybe motorcycles. Absolutely nowhere, because they all use oil !! its about the only efficient way to lubricate two metal surfaces, and if it works in engines at extreme temperatures and high speeds then imagine how ell it works on a bicycle chain drive.

So stop wasting your money and go buy some engine oil. If its too thin then mix it with 20% chainsaw oil. For less than R 100 you will have oil for 3 years at least.

Other than that, simply dry brush your chain while its on the bike with a hard brush and apply some oil before you ride or after you have washed your bike or been on a wet ride.

Take a small dropper bottle filled with oil on each ride with your tools should you need to re-lube on the trail especially when its dry and dusty or wet.

This is the correct answer

Shot MadMarc,

I think this will be my next move...

Can you recommend a good weight of engine oil to start off with?

You getting closer...

The motorbike forums have the same debate. Repeatedly.

I like this answer from one of them:

Engine oil works fine, much cheaper to.

Of course Unicorn sperm is the best lube but difficult to get your hands on!

Shot, did search "lube" however came up with nothing...

Interesting read though... what lube do you use?

Diff oil

The reason why everybody swears by his lube is that oil is just that. Oil.

Unless you have a 29er specific saddle, a 650B specific stem and 26er specific pedals...

Edited by Goodbadugly