2014 Dischem ride for sight.

Jeri

The guys in E did not work together so everybody sat up. As soon as some would break away they got caught. Finally after turning left at about 43km we managed a break away of about 8 riders I think. Managed a 3.17 but the last 20km finished riding with 2 tendams. Wind was to crazy to try and sneak away but went with a CL rider and a BL. Made a charge for the line with 1km to go.

Nope, I got away from E at around 50km and didn't get caught. Hard work all alone from there though!

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, I got away from E at around 50km and didn't get caught. Hard work all alone from there though!

I'll verify that - he even greeted me when he came passed.

Good ride, for a tennis player.

Edited by geraldm24

Sorry bud, but last time I checked, Racetec was a timing company NOT A RACE ORGANISER

Sadly , You can lead people to knowledge... but you cant make them think ...

Started in HL. Punctured going through a pothole at about the 60km mark. From then on it was just about enjoying the day and I chilled and had a lekker ride. I was towed home in the last 10 kays by these nice okes who didn't mind me sucking their wheels, thanks guys. Also had a pretty close shave with a cone after Carnival.

looking forward to next week's race.

I'll verify that - he even greeted me when he came passed.

Good ride, for a tennis player.

I should have given you a fright to kick-start your engine again...

Did to much work in the first 60km. Worked my g@t off on the climbs to keep the pace steady and on the first big climb almost the entire BL bunch passed me near the top. Don't know were all their energy suddenly came from. I sat up and let the others do some pulling. 16km to go there was almost a big crash and the bunch thinned out. I put in a big effort to close the gap and did catch up again but that was me done. Got dropped about 6km to go and the bunch pulled about a 400m gap. I put in another big effort and closed the gap a bit but lost momentum when we joined the short distance again.

Would have liked to stay with the bunch but I'm fairly happy with my 3h06min. Lost about 3min

I hate riding middle to back of the bunch. People don't keep their heads up and don't look forward. I cant count how many times there was almost a crash with people suddenly braking and pushing in because the road narrows or there is oncoming traffic. Come on people. CONCENTRATE!

Also a special thanks to the bike marshals. The guy that rode with the BL bunch was great. He went out of his way to make traffic aware of us. A big :thumbup: to you Sir!

Also a special thanks to the bike marshals. The guy that rode with the BL bunch was great. He went out of his way to make traffic aware of us. A big :thumbup: to you Sir!

He even went forward and warned other slower riders that we were approaching.

phew, still sick as a hond...went to the doc on sat afternoon and he put me on some amoclav bd...well done to everyone, properly bummed I missed this one, but it was just not going to happen.

I must say other for the accident it was a nice race

Does anyone remember if there was any crashes in the berge and dale race?

I think I might opt for the more hilly races, it looks like its splits the bunches quickly and then is safer riding from there and also more racing.

I tried to rotate at the front of AL yesterday, went to the front, and then as the next few took over I was never allowed to take a turn again, came out in the middle somewhere almost 150 metres from the front and thought to myself, srew it, these wheelsuckers wont even allow you to make the pace quicker.

other than that very happy with my 3:00 compared to last years 3:31

The guys in E did not work together so everybody sat up. As soon as some would break away they got caught. Finally after turning left at about 43km we managed a break away of about 8 riders I think. Managed a 3.17 but the last 20km finished riding with 2 tendams. Wind was to crazy to try and sneak away but went with a CL rider and a BL. Made a charge for the line with 1km to go.

EL bunch was just cruising along. A few tandems pass, and no one followed. At last 10km, decided this was it, and let rip, and 3 other guys followed, way before the bunch. Some nice muscling our way forward. Well done guys.

Rode in BL, enjoyed the race until a rider in front of me forced me, him, and a few other guys off the road on the 90km mark. This all happened because some of the "flank" riders had to get out of a truck's way that was coming from the front. I tried to get back on tarmac but had a cut on my back wheel, so my race ended with a lift in one of the Metro cars. Will do it again next year and try for a sub 3!

I rode in DL and from the start the pace was very high. I really enjoyed the group and it seemed like the people were behaving themselves until about 50km where there was some guttering. People were all over the place and after a left turn I did not managed to latch onto the front guys. They rode of and we worked our butts off at the front of the 2nd bunch to pull them back, but without any luck. We never saw them again and only picked up the stragglers. I stayed with 2 dudes from AL, some BL but most CL & DL. After about 100km I sat up and limped home in 3:18.

The organisation was fantastic! Will I do the race again? No I doubt it and it has nothing to do with the organisers. It is just too far to travel for a race from PTA. For most it won’t be a problem, but for me living in the East it’s about a 150km round trip.