Found my stolen bike - re-sold via Cash Crusaders, Observatory

chrigelschiess

New here so not sure about all rules but just want to share a story;

My silver GIANT Talon bike was stolen 3 years ago out of my garage on High Level Rd, Sea Point (yes, I know storing it there was stupid). After exactly 30 days from logging my case with the cops, my bike went up on Gumtree, for sale in Plumstead! The cops though were not interested in helping because I couldn't proof that the bike on Gumtree was actually mine. Though I had sufficient pictures, I did not have an invoice or insurance policy or so linking me with the bikes serial number.

Last weekend I rode Lebanon Forest, and there was a guy riding my bike. I went up to him, told him the story and he told me that he had bought the bike at Cash Crusaders in Observatory, Cape Town.

I probably already messed up that guys' conscience for which I feel a bit sorry about actually. Not his fault. Hope he enjoys the ride :-)

However, if it helps for the other Hubbers; I suggest to avoid buying stuff at Cash Crusaders in Obs. It seems they don't verify origin of the goods they sell...

And if anyone from that shop is reading this and now considers charging me for badmouthing. F%&k you and make sure you do the right thing in future!

A bit pissed about this whole thing still, sorry for abusing this forum for this. But I thought that is what public forums are about.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that sometimes stolen goods end up at police station & if not reclaimed, 2nd hand shops can buy them legally.

Wow, interesting how after 3 years you found your old bike in the possession of somebody else.

I fully understand your anger, but, three years is a long time mate, that bike could have changed hands many times in that time.

You yourself couldn't supply proof of purchase to the cops, and so probably the person who sold it to CC.

Maybe you should have pursued the matter more vigorously at the beginning when the trail was still fresh and the bike was advertised on Scumtree.

But then again as they say, hindsight is an exact science.

Have you tried to contact the Franchisor?

I'm sure they have a reputation to protect.

Good luck

3 years is along time and it could of changed hands 4 times before landing at CC so why crucify them cause they sold your bike when at the time due to the selling process was legit.

I agree with Vetseun, you had no proof then and you still dont except your word which in turn is someone elses word as well.

Get over it and move on and let the guy who is riding your bike enjoy and get some excercise

I wouldn't give a crap whether it has been 3 years or 10 years, if I see someone riding around on my stolen bike, I would still want to donner him, wouldnt you?

My bikes are MY bike!

Cut the oak some slack!

Not his fault that the bike got stolen!

But yea ... the pawn shop cant take much of the blame because they dont give a crap.

All they are required to do, is ask the seller (be it the skelm himself or one of his buddies) for ID and that is it!

The pawn shop is not going to phone every police station in WP to find out if a silver Giant with an unknown serial number has been reported stolen in the last million years. They are also not going to go through every single "stolen bike" thread here on the hub either!

Edited by Tankman

I wouldn't give a crap whether it has been 3 years or 10 years, if I see someone riding around on my stolen bike, I would still want to donner him, wouldnt you?

My bikes are MY bike!

Cut the oak some slack!

Not his fault that the bike got stolen!

But yea ... the pawn shop cant take much of the blame because they dont give a crap.

All they are required to do, is ask the seller (be it the skelm himself or one of his buddies) for ID and that is it!

The pawn shop is not going to phone every police station in WP to find out if a silver Giant with an unknown serial number has been reported stolen in the last million years. They are also not going to go through every single "stolen bike" thread here on the hub either!

No, but correct me if I am wrong, they have to by law capture the details and ID of all sellers of goods to their stores. Well, that is what I have always been asked when selling goods..

nice to hear a logical voice - tankman.. most people on this forum either reply with a stupid remark trying very hard to be funny OR like this thread immediately goes on the attack or to prove the person is at fault...

chrigelschiess - crime sucks and cash crusaders probably ripped the crim off for the bike and gave him like r50 whilst selling it for 10x the price

No, but correct me if I am wrong, they have to by law capture the details and ID of all sellers of goods to their stores. Well, that is what I have always been asked when selling goods..

Correct ... but that still does not scare the skelms away from selling or stealing the stuff.

The skelm steals it and "gives" or "sells" it to his buddy. Buddy sells it to the pawn shop with clear conscious cause he did in fact not steal the item. Waaay Too easy!!

As you are still the legal owner, did you take your bike back ?

As CC sold it, have you laid a charge of dealing in stolen property with the SAPS ?

If not, why not ?

So sold on Gumtree by someone in Plumstead...our friends at Neils Wheels perhaps?

Where is his shop located in Plumstead?

If i bought something at CC or any pawn shop and someone came up to me said it was theirs and demanded i immediately hand it over, they in for a surprise. I would rather inform them where i bought it, give them my cell number and tell them to follow it up. After verifying that the item is theirs, i would expect CC or the pawn shop to reimburse me.

I might be missing something, but how do you know for sure it's your bike? Some individual part or, serial number?

Where is his shop located in Plumstead?

main road, next to checkers.

Something similar....

A friend of mine in East London had his Giant XTC stolen out of his garage. 6 weeks later at a sprint Adventure Race, he sees a guy on his stolen bike. Goes up to the guy and asks where he got it from. The answer was Cash Crusaders.

My mate went to the cops, told his insurance company but absolutely nothing came of it.

My insurance company has a record of all my bikes serial numbers as well as their upgrades and current replacement values. This does not only apply to my bikes. If I have something stolen, I want to be able to replace it.

As far as I know, CC take down your ID number but I do not think that they have the facilities to verify if it is real or not.... I once cleared out all my old CD's (those spur of the moment buys...) and took them to Cash Crusaders. I say once because I vowed to NEVER go back there to buy or sell. I was made to feel like a lowlife. The treated me like I was selling stolen stuff. Offered me next to nothing for it. I took my CD's home.