Meintjes Wins The South African Elite Road Championships

News bot

In what was an exhilarating race around the streets of Westiville, KwaZulu-Natal today. The South African Road Race Championships saw Louis Meintjes come away with the national jersey. Daryl Impey (Orica-GreenEdge) took the silver with defending champion, Jay Thomson taking the bronze medal.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In what was an exhilarating race around the streets of Westiville, KwaZulu-Natal today. The South African Road Race Championships saw Louis Meintjes come away with the national jersey. Daryl Impey (Orica-GreenEdge) took the silver with defending champion, Jay Thomson taking the bronze medal.

Click here to view the article

Isnt Louis Meintjies under 23?

also wondering about this.....if Louis takes the elite jersey then I suppose he shouldn't be able to race the U23 world champs? bit like a vet racing elites and then wanting to enter the masters world champs later in the year??

anyways good for Menchis, classy rider......

This does not make sense? Who is the U23 champion then? Why then split the Elite and U23 TTs if only one winner for both categories?

There was a similar situation with James Reid at the XCO Nationals last year. I think he took the U23 title in the end.

IMO.

Darryl is elite champ

Louis under 23 champ

Sorry if I am wrong

This would be correct.

If the rules are otherwise, then it's messy stuff.

Edited by ' Dale

This can only work if Louis is registered to race Elite (like a vet with an Elite racing license - he is then not allowed to race in his age category), however, Louis raced the U23 TT, so he is UCI registered as U23 and can't then claim the elite jersey as we'll?

Not great administration if there is doubt.

What should be a moment of triumph is clouded by ...

According to an article on CSA website:

As with the African Continental Championships, the Elite and under-23 Men started the 180km race together, and the first rider to cross the finish line was dubbed the Elite winner. In this instance, Meintjes is the new under-23 and Elite National Champion.

also:

Impey was visibly disappointed with his mechanical failure after a strong day in the saddle and an almost certain victory: “My chain came off in the sprint and I’m pretty disappointed. I had it in the bag, and it is really disappointing.”

Edited by GaryvdM