Rhebokskloof MTB Trail

emme

Want to give this trail a go this weekend, just one question from an out-of-towner - I see you can link up to the Paarl Nature Reserve from the trail, does one need a permit for the Nature Reserve as well or is it the permit only when you are in a car?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Want to give this trail a go this weekend, just one question from an out-of-towner - I see you can link up to the Paarl Nature Reserve from the trail, does one need a permit for the Nature Reserve as well or is it the permit only when you are in a car?

nope, nature reserve is open to bicycles, don't need one if you're not heading in there by car.

With the new single track section up to lookout point 1 the total riding time for the Shiraz(long)route is now close on 20km.Where the red arrow near top of google road indicates left turn onto Shiraz singletrack with also a sign straight on to nature reserve,you can actually continue for a further 500m up google road towards reserve as an add-on to the Shiraz singletrack.After this approx 500m there is a singletrack turnoff to your right (marked as left turn for riders approaching trails from reserve side).This leads into a 600m  downhill single track  linking up with Shiraz single track from the right at red arrow referred to above.

This extended Shiraz trail should give you a very interesting total 90-120minute ride from start in carpark at Rheboks to finish at carpark at Rheboks.

This extended Shiraz trail should give you a very interesting total 90-120minute ride from start in carpark at Rheboks to finish at carpark at Rheboks.

Thanks, in that case will probably skip the nature reserve dirt roads and go for 2 laps  :thumbup:

Thanks, in that case will probably skip the nature reserve dirt roads and go for 2 laps  :thumbup:

Good idea

The fun factor of the route grows exponentially as you get to know it better.

We are a large group of riders coming through to ride the new route on Sunday.

Weather looking good!

:clap:

Rode the Shiraz today. The new climb is still quite loose. Sandier than I expected... A few of the switchbacks can be hard to navigate, for this reason. I'm sure it will improve. Single track down can be hard on the gears. There are quite a few little unexpected short climbs, that appear around corners unexpectedly. All in all, I enjoyed it and I will be back.

Did 2 laps yesterday (and a quick short detour into the reserve) - excellent trails. The sandy surface makes for a different challenge when descending & climbing compared to the rocky&hard Tygerberg Trails I'm used to but I enjoyed it. First time in a long while I missed my 26er, some of those turns are really tight! Loved how the singletrack seems to go on forever, especially on the second lap I really gave it horns.

A bit too far out for me to ride often but will definitely be back  :thumbup:

Please note that Rhebokskloof MTB trail will be closed on Sunday 12 October. The Sanlam MTB Invitational is the first event taking place on the new trails.

:)

post-51082-0-33213000-1412843028_thumb.png

Please note that Rhebokskloof MTB trail will be closed on Sunday 12 October. The Sanlam MTB Invitational is the first event taking place on the new trails.

:)

Hi Louis

I see their event finishes at 13h00.I assume it will be OK to come and ride in the afternoon?

(Big UP! to the second cave that was found.Any footage of it??) :eek:

Same-same but different question from my side - when is it starting? Is it possible to drop in there before the event at 7 or so? (Was just planning on doing a down run from the mountain on the way out...)

If not, no sweat, will play around in Taalbos before heading out the other way!

emme - 2nd cave?! Where? 

Edited by SeaBee

Same-same but different question from my side - when is it starting? Is it possible to drop in there before the event at 7 or so? (Was just planning on doing a down run from the mountain on the way out...)

emme - 2nd cave?! Where? 

Start is 8h30

emme - 2nd cave?! Where? 

Apparently you ride down to viewpoint 2,and do not continue with existing single track at that downturn point.Down at the viewpoint a new single has been cut to your left.This new single links up with existing single mentioned above just where it enters the first terrace.Scorpion alley potential name...