Paul Cluver Amphi Bike Park opens to the public

News bot

Finally the moment that all 2013 FNB Wines2Whales (W2W) Mountain Bike (MTB) riders have been waiting for, the spectacular Amphi Bike Park at Paul Cluver will officially open its doors to the public on Saturday, 15 February 2014.

Click here to view the article

my wife was very unfit, took about 4 hours, otherwise its not a hard ride at all, I dont think. Intermediate definitely.

• 1 month later...

Just did the Paul Cluver trail yesterday. Did the bulk of the black(except the part around the top dam) and then ended up on the Thandi loop by accident. Funny thing is, huge parts of the Thandi loop are in dire need of repair or trail maintenance. And I can see a huge amount of money has been pumped into it with specially cut trails. It also seems that no one is riding the Thandi trails as I only saw a lone bike track here and there. Granted some of the Thandi trails are a little exposed (ups and downs) and need a confident, skilled biker, but why is it not being ridden.

IMHO linking Thandi and Paul Cluver is by far a more enjoyable and technical ride than Oak Vally, yet it seems it is not being used much. I know Oak Valley is privately owned and Paul Cluver/Thandi falls under the PPA, but it seems the trails do not get the same amount of attention that the Hemel and Aarde trails get here in Hermanus. Anyone know why?

Going there tomorrow. Do we start at the Thandi farm stall??

yes or at Paul Cluver of you follow all arrows you'll end up doing both. Security guard will issue a temp board for the day at Paul Cluver gate, at Thandi you'll have to go into the restaurant.

Just did the Paul Cluver trail yesterday. Did the bulk of the black(except the part around the top dam) and then ended up on the Thandi loop by accident. Funny thing is, huge parts of the Thandi loop are in dire need of repair or trail maintenance. And I can see a huge amount of money has been pumped into it with specially cut trails. It also seems that no one is riding the Thandi trails as I only saw a lone bike track here and there. Granted some of the Thandi trails are a little exposed (ups and downs) and need a confident, skilled biker, but why is it not being ridden.

IMHO linking Thandi and Paul Cluver is by far a more enjoyable and technical ride than Oak Vally, yet it seems it is not being used much. I know Oak Valley is privately owned and Paul Cluver/Thandi falls under the PPA, but it seems the trails do not get the same amount of attention that the Hemel and Aarde trails get here in Hermanus. Anyone know why?

i was thinking the exact same thing on the opening day of the amphitheatre bike park when we did the full black loop. The reason I don't go there often is because of the distance to travel. 140km round trip. I reckon it just needs a couple of race days to keep the trails alive again.

• 1 month later...

I posted this in another thread too...

Bit of a rant coming up...

A friend and myself set out for Paul Cluver yesterday morning since we've only heard good things about the trails. When we got there we paid our R50 permit (which seemed on the high side, but whatever). We drove up to the electric gate at the top, only to find it closed. The guard gave us no code to the PIN pad, and the buzzer also didn't work. We then drove down to the guard again only for him to inform us that he doesn't have the remote or the code for the gate?? He then phoned someone which would come and open the gate. About 5mins later, he comes back to us and tells us the guy isn't coming with the remote, but he found another remote. But he is not allowed to give it to us. We then ask him if he has the contact details of anyone else that administers the trails. He did not.

I don't really blame the security guard. He's only been working there two days and the owners or organizers should have better prepared him. They should also have thought about who will open the freaking trails in the morning in the first place.

Bit of a let down and not the ideal bike date :wacko: . We had to "settle" for Oakvalley. Luckily a good alternative. Guess I'll have to wait for W2W before riding there...

BlinkFan, where was the closed gate? Before you get to the buildings or after turning right at the buildings?