Cycling SA clarifies ruling regarding U23 and Elite Road Championship Jerseys

News bot

The 2014 Time Freight SA Road Cycling Championships delivered a spectacle of racing hardly seen before in South Africa. Louis Meintjes (Team MTN-Qhubeka) just snuck past Daryl Impey (Orica GreenEdge) after 180km of gruelling racing. It was a massive disappointment to Daryl that his bike developed a mechanical in the sprint finish. Unfortunately, the prize giving was delayed by opinions regarding the result as to who should be wearing what jersey and why.

Click here to view the article

I (really) don't see any clarification. You say that Louis is not (Ipso Facto) Elite, which implies he gets the U/23 jersey. But how can he then get the Elite Jersey (as well)?

Ok so all this just to get a few points to qualify for olympics. im sure SA champs is not the only race that the riders can compete in to gain UCI points. So for a few points they sacrafice having 2 jerseys, now there is only 1 that will be worn where there could have been 2. Big ups to CSA for good LOLs

Remember guys, that the U23 jersey will only be worn in U23 events. Aside from the worlds,these are few and far between. Remember also that, rightly so, MTN will be keen to have the national champ jersey in their ranks so they wont give that right up to Orica without a fight. It is not as clear cut as it may seem. logic says Meintjies=U23 champ and Impey=elite champ but They raced over the same distance with the same opposition and perhaps the fastest man (for whatever reason) over that distance has claims to be the champ and wear the jersey.