Karoo 2 Coast 2014

JJBoth

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that is very good and important advice although it is a bit difficult when there are many riders around. Will try my best though also!

Thanks for sharing that stella, some motivation for us first timers! :thumbup: How did you find the K2C, must of been quite a big jump from starting 2 months before and a max ride of 33km? How was your fitness levels before starting mtb'ing?

I was fit, but not a fitness freak. I had no strength in my legs so the climbs were HARD. And I did get cramps... so this time I'll do what I did with the Argus and start taking Cramp Ease the night before. The other thing that I think helped a lot is I cooked some baby potatoes the night before (1 for every 20 mins I planned on riding). It wasn't always easy to get them down while riding, but I do think it helped a lot that I forced myself to eat the whole way, from the start.

It was tough, but I had a lot of mental motivation to do the race and I was determined to finish it. It's a LOT of fun, a great vibe and everyone's always keen for a chat or chirp!

87kg, Like I said I lost time looking for my Go Pro which is probably still at the bottom of the pass. Chain came off, one Wee Wee stop and a pitstop at 70 for a liquid refil and chain lube. I just couldn`t hold on to the hard tail guys on my Giant Antem. Was hoping for a 5 hour ride. Was lekker in my chops after the ride. Had to Castle load......

I also have a dual suspension..

How many mins do you think a hardtail will shave of?

I am!! My time was 7h06 - an hour before the cut off. Was quite chuffed with myself. This year I'm hoping to do it in 5h30 as I'm on a 29er now and have been riding throughout the year.

Good luck to you too!! Hope the weather is as good as last year!

What difference is that gonna make, you must still pedal the damn thing. :whistling:

How do you get onto the slent road from durbanville? Have heard so many thiings about this but can never find it!!!

Out on Wellington rd, past the Silos, straight over the R304, tar road for a kilometer or two past the three Wind Turbines, it then becomes gravel. That is Slent rd.

Edited by Wannabe

We'll be riding on saturday morning - normally start at 06:30, meet up at the Caltex garage on the corner. Head out towards Silos and take it from there. +-75-80km this weekend.

I suspect you might have been riding Slent without knowing ^_^ Like wannabe said, that road past the wind turbines

Good training ride, did you ride with Francios?

Nope, was on my own

I also have a dual suspension..

How many mins do you think a hardtail will shave of?

m2c worth. THe Scot and spes should not make a difference, The Anthem had a PR23 shock which had a bit of play on it even when locked out. The new models have the NUD shock which almost loks out completely. I spaun out a 45km/h. Could see the hard tails pull away from me through the Forest sections towards Zimola.

What sort of mileage, per week, are you gals & guys up to? You can list it by 'Sub 4', Sub 5', Sub 6' or 'Survival'.

I did 20 rides totalling 39 Hrs in the 8 weeks leading up to K2C last year (ave 4:45 per week) with a longest week of 8:05 and ended up with a 4:34.

Most of the training was on a SS MTB and included plenty of hard hills.

I was 53 years old and weighed 93.4 kg at the start.

Joh... After hearing this maybe I should just chill by the coast and skip the race... By next weekend I will have done about 450km in August and about 600km if I combine June and July... But I'm looking at 6 hours... :o

Just ride it, no need to be scared, you have done more than enough to have fun and finish strong.

We'll be riding on saturday morning - normally start at 06:30, meet up at the Caltex garage on the corner. Head out towards Silos and take it from there. +-75-80km this weekend.

The Caltex on the corener of Plein St and Wellington? I might join you...

Some advice from a guy that has made a lot of mistakes on the K2Coast. 1. Don't go too hard on the Old Wa Pad. 2. Try pedal and sit some times on the long down hills (standing the whole way down cools your muscles). 3. If you feel good with 40 km to go hammer it if you behind your times you will make up more time in the last 40kms than going too hard in the first 55 km. 4. If its hot drink more than you think you need to. I made most of these mistakes going for a 3h45. Started cramping just after 50km lucky for me they would come and go and managed a 3h55.

Some advice from a guy that has made a lot of mistakes on the K2Coast. 1. Don't go too hard on the Old Wa Pad. 2. Try pedal and sit some times on the long down hills (standing the whole way down cools your muscles). 3. If you feel good with 40 km to go hammer it if you behind your times you will make up more time in the last 40kms than going too hard in the first 55 km. 4. If its hot drink more than you think you need to. I made most of these mistakes going for a 3h45. Started cramping just after 50km lucky for me they would come and go and managed a 3h55.

+ 1

Awesome! 3:55 is tight, wat was your training like then?

I did 500+ in June, 600+ in July and thus far in August a mere 300 +. I went hiking in the Richtersveld for a week and that, coupled with the rain, limited my cycling. I did a solo 118 k on Saturday last, mind numbing and bum numbing ( some of you might argue that it is the same organ). I have entered the Cederberg race, if I came through that I will be OK and in line to improve my time of 6 hrs of 14 years ago, the last time I did the race. I did very little training in those days.

My 1st K2C and I'm a bit worried, can do 3-4hr rides comfortably and have done a 100km before, but still worried about the pace and 1000's of other riders. I have my granny gears though.

Awesome! 3:55 is tight, wat was your training like then?

Did about 8 hours a week, but here in Ceres because we are in a valley you go 20 km in either direction you going to do some nasty climbs. We got a nice climb that we call the Swarmoed old road its about 3.5 km of climbing at an average of about 12% with some 16% thrown in. Did that climb at least once a week before the K2C. Also coming down it because its gravel and rutted its a lot like the down hills on the K2C.

My 1st K2C and I'm a bit worried, can do 3-4hr rides comfortably and have done a 100km before, but still worried about the pace and 1000's of other riders. I have my granny gears though.

Don't worry about the 1000's of riders after the Wa Pad climb it spreads out quite nicely.

How do you get onto the slent road from durbanville? Have heard so many thiings about this but can never find it!!!

Ride out of Durbanville on the wellington road and keep going straight at the T Junction at Klipheuwel. towards the wind Turbines. That is slent road going past the Turbines.