Karoo 2 Coast 2014

JJBoth

And so did all of the frontrunners / pro's. A few ran up the stairs when the embankment became too crowded, slowing them down, but majority rode up the embankment.

Yep, that was me too, running up the stairs after the dude who was in front realized he wasn't going to make it riding up the embankment.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, that was me too, running up the stairs after the dude who was in front realized he wasn't going to make it riding up the embankment.

We must have just missed you. We stood there for a few minutes more after Jenie Stenerhag came past. You must have been there not long after we left.

Left because hunger pangs was becoming too much. :whistling:

my cleats underneath my shoes loosened down the downhills and eventually when I wanted to stop I couldnt get my feet out...luckily every time I asked someone to 'catch' me they did! couldnt stop to rest at any uphill or the last 2 waterpoints where they actually had lekker food!! I cried from the top of Simola Hill to the finish, so have no idea how I got my feet loose at the end!! my aiming time was to just finish in time... and I did it in 6:45  :rolleyes:

I had a better race than my previous attempt 14 years ago. In those days the 400-500 cyclists lined up opposite the camp site and the old wapad was a rough jeep track and certainly not graded.

I had an involuntary dismount right at the crest of the wapad, no damage. After that the race opened up and I was feeling OK up to the Simola climb, but with a bit of vasbyt I dragged my 95 kgs to the top and then on to the finish line. Time was 5H17, a 45 min improvement on my previous effort.

The crowded wapad and the walking there was perhaps a blessing in disguise, forcing you to start slow and not burn too many matches on the first climb.

The atmosphere at the finish was great and the beers even better. I will not wait another 14 years for my third K2C.

We must have just missed you. We stood there for a few minutes more after Jenie Stenerhag came past. You must have been there not long after we left.

Left because hunger pangs was becoming too much. :whistling:

judging from our finish times, probably +-5mins

bad luck. Saw a guy pushing his bike on the back wheel at the end. Must have been you. We were having a beer on the field next to the lions spot where they packed all the bags. That front wheel is MESSED UP brother

Jip that was me  :thumbdown:

The wife and I made it, came in just over 7 hours. After not alot of training and the wife pulling out the week before the race and then deciding she wants to attempt it the wednesday before the race i was worried, alot.

SHE KICKED MY butt!!!! i did the race last year so i didn't bother packing any food in, big mistake there was only food left at the last two water points by the time we reached them. So i ate GUs and one energade energy bar for the first 6 hours.

I was dehydrated and DEAD. at the hills i told the wife to go and i crawled/rolled most of them up and then i would catch her again on the downhills.

Big up to the one guy greeting me on the way up on the wapad, sorry you didn't give your name!

The wife pulled a dirty on me, distracted me when we got on the grass at the finish and when i turned back she was sprinting for the line! I started planting it but it was too late...according to racetec we have the same time but she finished before me! I love that woman!!  :blush:

Generaal Gert, hope you have insurance on the bike, chances are that you are covered for the damage (wheels are expensive). Sad that there are pricks on the trails that think they are better (I bet the Elites are more considerate).

I was pleasantly surprised going up Ou Wapad, started in D, but I think E and F caught up quickly. Climb was slow because lots of riders dismounted to take a walk, including me. Everyone was very considerate, plenty of helping hands keeping the riders on the bikes if they go too slow or to help with a hill start.

I did enjoy the descends because the traffic was very light, I had lots of opportunity to pass other riders without startling them. Had a bit of a close call on one of the tighter turns where I almost connected another rider, but luckily I managed to keep my line.

Would love to do the race again, but I need a lot of training to get stronger on the climbs to hopefully do a sub 5.

Luckily I have insurance so that will help as I need a new front wheel as well as a new screen for my phone... We are staying in the George area till Wednesday I gave my insurance (MiWay) a call and the Lbs (Ride Life) and they helped me with a new front wheel as well as a quote and an assessment letter for the insurance to refund me the costs... I must say this is something that I call great service... :thumbup:  Now just holding thumbs that everything goes smooth in getting the refund from the insurance.

Tried my first K2C yesterday, my race/adventure was ended at around the 16km mark just after conquering the ou wa pad... unfortunately it was not due to a lack of preparation, well this could not really be tested, but rather due to a fellow rider being reckless, inconsiderate and to put it simple an idiot.

We were riding on the jeep track just after the 15km mark and this guy (Riding with a Merrell kit and a white Cannondale) must of felt as strong as an elite rider... He tried to pass through the middle of myself and another rider, hooking my handlebar and taking me down in the process. This reckless and inconsiderate act was the end of my race (see the result in the picture) and for him when he put his chain back on told me it was my own fault of riding slow in the right lane (I was passing people at round 28km/h) and continued...

Anyway I'll try again next year... Rant over...

Assholes...they'll be popping out everywhere now... :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

Hi Guys

The K2C was my first MTB race and I really enjoyed it - apart from the walking up die ou wapad. I started mountain biking in July and ended up doing a 5:40, so I guess that's OK. Could have been alot better had it not been for the traffic jam in the beginning, but we made the best of it and tried to get some laughs out of our fellow pedestrians.

I chatted and shared some fun with many great people along the way. But then there were also many a-holes. I mean seriously, if you're that good and you need that rude, competitive attitude, why are you starting in Group G in the first place?

Anyway, great race. Awesome experience. And my biggest lesson learned: a seeding is seriously important for this race and a good, fun attitude is vital!

Edited by JoToast

Hi Guys

The K2C was my first MTB race and I really enjoyed it - apart from the walking up die ou wapad. I started mountain biking in July and ended up doing a 5:40, so I guess that's OK. Could have been alot better had it not been for the traffic jam in the beginning, but we made the best of it and tried to get some laughs out of our fellow pedestrians.

I chatted and shared some fun with many great people along the way. But then there were also many a-holes. I mean seriously, if you're that good and you need that rude, competitive attitude, why are you starting in Group G in the first place?

Anyway, great race. Awesome experience. And my biggest lesson learned: a seeding is seriously important for this race and a good, fun attitude is vital!

A lot of people were seeded incorrectly.  :cursing:  :thumbdown:   

Hi Guys

A lot of people were seeded incorrectly.  :cursing:  :thumbdown:   

and allot of guys bought other riders entries and had to start with that number

Tried my first K2C yesterday, my race/adventure was ended at around the 16km mark just after conquering the ou wa pad... unfortunately it was not due to a lack of preparation, well this could not really be tested, but rather due to a fellow rider being reckless, inconsiderate and to put it simple an idiot.

We were riding on the jeep track just after the 15km mark and this guy (Riding with a Merrell kit and a white Cannondale) must of felt as strong as an elite rider... He tried to pass through the middle of myself and another rider, hooking my handlebar and taking me down in the process. This reckless and inconsiderate act was the end of my race (see the result in the picture) and for him when he put his chain back on told me it was my own fault of riding slow in the right lane (I was passing people at round 28km/h) and continued...

Anyway I'll try again next year... Rant over...

truly sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident. I started with the aforementioned rider in d group. my situation (presumably his as well, one can only speculate) was that I had acquired a late substitution entry and wasn't permitted to be reseeded at registration. In my opinion this situation has the following shortcomings: a) it means stronger riders end up starting way back and forcing themselves through the pack out of frustration (with very unfortunate consequences, yours being the case in point) and b) slower riders could end up in a faster group that they can't hang on to and causing "blockages" (of course, at least in the latter scenario they can drop back a group, but who's really going to do that, in all seriousness?)

anyway, back to the ride: the rider mentioned above and I broke away from d group from the gun, but he had more balls than I did going through the traffic up the wa pad. he disappeared up the track while I carefully picked my way through trying to be polite as possible and get through without incident or getting in anyone's way (not easy considering the colourful abuse I endured - all fair comment I'm sure). after getting over myself I eventually succumbed to the walking (by the time we were halfway up there really was no point in forcing the issue). Was a bit disappointed to miss out on the whole sub-4 thing by a few minutes, but am more satisfied that at least no-one's ride was compromised.

my only hope is that the event organisers will permit reseeding in future at registration (not exactly out of the ordinary at most events) to avoid these kinds of incidents. in my opinion the arguments against reseeding ("sorry sir, the group sizes are already set" - seriously, how many riders are we talking about here?) far outweigh the argument for (as per the incident you endured)

other than that it's a great event and I'll be back next year (I'll try to remember to enter on time, though)

Hi Guys

The K2C was my first MTB race and I really enjoyed it - apart from the walking up die ou wapad. I started mountain biking in July and ended up doing a 5:40, so I guess that's OK. 

That's a very nice result for someone with your MTB experience! I'm still baffled why I'm struggling so much, but for now I blame 95kg and 10 years of inactivity. At least I can see that I'm getting better every year.

Edited by johanpre44

truly sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident. I started with the aforementioned rider in d group. my situation (presumably his as well, one can only speculate) was that I had acquired a late substitution entry and wasn't permitted to be reseeded at registration. In my opinion this situation has the following shortcomings: a) it means stronger riders end up starting way back and forcing themselves through the pack out of frustration (with very unfortunate consequences, yours being the case in point) and b) slower riders could end up in a faster group that they can't hang on to and causing "blockages" (of course, at least in the latter scenario they can drop back a group, but who's really going to do that, in all seriousness?)

anyway, back to the ride: the rider mentioned above and I broke away from d group from the gun, but he had more balls than I did going through the traffic up the wa pad. he disappeared up the track while I carefully picked my way through trying to be polite as possible and get through without incident or getting in anyone's way (not easy considering the colourful abuse I endured - all fair comment I'm sure). after getting over myself I eventually succumbed to the walking (by the time we were halfway up there really was no point in forcing the issue). Was a bit disappointed to miss out on the whole sub-4 thing by a few minutes, but am more satisfied that at least no-one's ride was compromised.

my only hope is that the event organisers will permit reseeding in future at registration (not exactly out of the ordinary at most events) to avoid these kinds of incidents. in my opinion the arguments against reseeding ("sorry sir, the group sizes are already set" - seriously, how many riders are we talking about here?) far outweigh the argument for (as per the incident you endured)

other than that it's a great event and I'll be back next year (I'll try to remember to enter on time, though)

I'm one of the slow guys getting off my bike often on the steep climbs. I think both the pedestrians and racing snakes (or cyclists who can still pedal) needs to be considerate. If you stop, get out of the way, you may be blocking someone (I always try and get out of the way before I dismount). If you are the fast guy, slowing down just a little may just be what the rider/pedestrian in front of you need to get out of your way. In short, big races have traffic much like your morning commute (in Jozi), live and let live!!