Roadies please give me advice!

Single Track

I know close to nothing about road bikes but want to buy one for the argus. l've found a trek 1.2 on gumtree for R4000. From what ive googled it is very uch an entry level bike. I am ok with that but want to know if i will be abke to sell it and get my money back after the argus? Basically, is R4000 a good orice? they cost R10500 new at sportsmans. please forgive my typing, using a problematic tablet.

Put slicks on your mountain bike and ride. Its cheaper, and you'll probably enjoy it more.

Really? Why do you say I will enjoy it more? Ive never ridden a road bike...

You gonna by a second hand bike hoping its the right fit for you, and then take on a century ride without a proper setup. Whereas you mtb is properly setup for you and will give a much more enjoyable ride.

If you want to buy a road bike for a single race, I would advice bugdeting for a proper setup as well. Then, you will enjoy the ride more. ( you still have to get use to the bike though - handling, shifting etc). It takes time

Edited by Maniax

Thanks for all the advice. And if I get it set up and have a few practise rides- 1) Will it improve my time sig ificantly compared to mtb with slicks? 2) Is R4000 a good enough price that I may be abke to recoup after the ride?

NO, 2nd hand bikes are hard to sell.

Have a look at the road classifieds here on the HUB. There are many, many, much better than the Trek for the same price or a little more.

Have a look and see how many of them sell.

Spend R700, buy the slicks, you'll be R3250 better off in a couple of months.

PS: I know what I'm talking about, I've had bikes on here for months that have not sold!!

Edited by heyyou

Really? Why do you say I will enjoy it more? Ive never ridden a road bike...

Thats why he said it. Dont go and do a race on bike you have never ridden. Honestly, unless you are in front few bunches, you will not be making up much time anyways. Rather ride something you are comfortable with and enjoy the ride.

Ordinarily I would disagree with the above. There is nothing better than a proper road bike on the road. Even the best mtb with slicks can't compete with even the cheapest of road bikes.

However, considering how close the Argus is, I would also have to say, put slicks on you MTB. There is just not enough time to train and get used to a road bike.

I did 4 big road races on my mtb before buying a road bike .I suggests you do the same .A cheap wrong bike stays like that until you have to get rid of it .On your mtb you will be one of thousands doing the same thing

If you plan on doing more road rides then it's worth it. I bought a road bike a couple weeks before the 2012 94.7. Its good fun actually. Don't ride it much because of the mtb and unsafe roads but I've got around 1500kms on it, and am glad I've had the road bike for those 1500kms.

I wouldn't buy for 1 race and sell it straight after.

That said you may find you really enjoy the road bike, so my feeling is get it, see if you like it, and go from there. I think my mate just bought a second hand one for 3500, so maybe offer a bit less than what he's asking. You're not going to lose a whole lot if you want to sell it later, and then there's also the whole n+1 thing with bikes...

Edit: Make sure that you're not buying a bike that doesn't fit. Then you will regret it.

Edited by madbradd

Riding a road race / fun ride on a road bike is a way better experience than a MTB even with slicks... BUT...

Unless you are going to do more road rides then stick with the MTB. Chances are you've got a much better MTB than the level of road bike you're looking for.

Don't buy a roadie for 1 race, see if there is a mate you can borrow one off. If you're that keen and if you are going to buy a road bike then spend decent coin and get one that is desirable and you know you can sell off easily for about the same cash if it doesn't work out. Bikes in the R3500 - R9000 you're going to struggle to flog post Argus and you will take a good hit. Rather make and offer and get something like this:

http://www.thehubsa....tcr-advanced-3/

I can understand the issues of spinning out on a MTB so spend a bit of money on slicks and see if you can get a bigger front blade. Something like a 48 or the like if you can find one. CRC have them on sale darn cheap.

Edited by hellocolour

Its a 50/50, Roadbike is also lekker for training, as it is less cheaper to maintain, I enjoy both, only ride one race per year on the road bike, but its nice to go out on longer rides with it for fitness, we had the same discussion the other day, maybe its better to buy a wheelset for 4k and swop and change depending on the condition, as for time, the average oke will be faster on a road bike, at the end of the day, do whats comfortable

To OP - how many Argus rides have you done?

If this is your first Argus then get slicks for your mtb - as you will be starting further back and making up time will be easier on a bike you know especially with a lot of weekend riders around you. Your time will more than likely be 4hrs plus and comfort on mtb is then better.