SA Girls to Kiwi Land Worthless or worthy

sernoche1

Oh' date=' and the people who have always are the positive ones....amazing !!![/quote']

WW, I don't think we should kid ourselves.  Our ladies have got work to do if they want to make it internationally, no question.

But you are right, at the end of the day, we will only get them there if they are supported properly.

Andrew has twice referred to the power profiles of the Vet's here in S.A. compared to World Class Ladies.

Take a look at the following power profile:

20080226_030447_Vet_vs_Ladies_P.gif

This is the profile of a top S.A. Vet.  Each of these bars is a different critical power duration.  You'll see this this Vet makes it into "Domestic Pro" (this is in the U.S.) only in the 5 minute duration.  All others are lower than that.  European pro ladies are a level above this, probably at the same level as our local Elites.

But, at the end of the day.  We can put them down, or we can try to work with them and get them to this level.  In my mind, here are the facts, this is where they need to be!  Let's start working towards that!

Bruce, I certainly agree with you that they are not on an international level yet but surely by giving them more exposure should help rather than just saying they are useless and don't deserve to even go and get some experience.

I just get irritated that everyone puts the woman down and yet supports the guys....why???

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just get irritated that everyone puts the woman down and yet supports the guys....why???

I know of a few women that needs to be "put down".

Oops, here comes the SPCA.

I know of a few women that needs to be "put down".

Oops' date=' here comes the SPCA.

[/quote']

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Me too Mampara!!!

I think sometimes in the past, ladies cycling has shot itself in the foot with internal fighting.  But by far the most common thing is that it is easier to criticise that to actually do something.

BUT, men's cycling should also take a good hard look at itself as well.  For a nation that can host by far the biggest cycling events, in an environment that is not well suited to cycling (safety, attitude, etc) why do we stuggle at an international level?

Simply put, the structures are not in place that focus on international level competition.  We do not identify and nurture our riders (both male and female) with proper development programs, and give them a well defined path to get to the top.

Take a look at BMX.  We have a World Champ!  Yet look at what countries like the U.S. are doing for their BMX riders.  Some of the best coaches in the World are working with them.  The riders are using SRM's and they are being properly coached on a scientific basis.  Here in S.A. we have got a bunch of track SRM's sitting in storage somewhere and not being used because they are the wrong crank-length.  Never mind having the skills necessary to know what to do with them.

Now, we can complain about this, or we can pull out fingers out and start contributing wherever we can.  Unfortunately 99% of people will chose the easy path - sitting on a couch and throwing stones.

Bruce, take the Bellville Velodrome as example.

They have concerts in there, tuis nywerhede expo's, Trompoppies competitions in there, even church choirs competitions.

But let me guess, about 5 track racing competitions a year?

Guest colonel
Lemme tell you a story' date=' true story. Well a very close friend of mine told me and I believe him, but you can make your own mind up.

He says he was doing a race a while ago, possibly even the EP Herald, when the ladies and vets pull away together. On Gun hill (little more than a drag), some of the top ladies started pulling a gap on him, and Anriette was on his wheel. Next moments she goes "Go go chase, come on close that gap!". He looks back and goes, WTF, its your race, YOU close the gap!

So ja, take that as you wish.

[/quote']

No I think he was talking about Kelly Tome' in +1 at Killarny.....

Wish I could post Marissa vd Merwe's power profile on the hub... I am sure it will make a couple of people choke on their lunch. Wink

We absolutely have the talent in SA with people like Marissa and Cherise.  The least the rest of us can do is to support them and to remember that they are riding against the best in the world.  Pretty much like sending our local pro's to ride against all the Pro tour teams. 

Believe me, racing against those chicks is daunting enough - the last thing you want to read or hear about is ANOTHER negative comment about women's cycling and people attacking you personally without ever meeting you.

Go kick some ass girls!!!

I remember at the Graskop Hill Climb Champs Marissa beat most of the top guns taking part going up Kowyns Pass... Really strong rider and by the looks of things not someone to mess with on the bike!

20080226_044409_n594716758_6230.jpg

Tour of Wellington Start List - 26 Feb, 2008 - bikenz

The NZCT Women?s cycle tour in Wellington this week will set a standard that can?t be matched by many other sporting codes in New Zealand.

While New Zealand is renowned for its sporting prowess in sports like rugby, netball, cricket and league, none can compare on a world stage like cycling. The NZCT women?s tour that starts on February 27 will be crammed full of current and past Olympic and world champions.

In many European countries cycling ranks second only to religion. Millions around the world watch international cycling events and this month?s race will present cycling fans in the greater Wellington area with the opportunity to see the best of the world, free of charge, right in front of them.

Teams taking part in this week's NZCT international event;

National teams;

Australia      Japan

China           South Africa

Ukraine        New Zealand.

UCI professional teams;

Team High Road - USA

Team Lotto-Belisol Ladiesteam - Belgium

Webcor Builders Cycling Team ? USA

Equipe Nurnberger Versicherung - Germany

Team Menikini Selle Italia - Italy               

TeamVrienden Van Het Platteland -Netherlands

MBCycles Women?s Cycling Team ?Australia

Compositeteams;

TabakTeam International

BPTeam

MercedesBenz Team

TeamHandy Rentals

Who?s who?

World ranked number three rider and 2004 World Champion, Judith Arndt, will lead the charge for Team High Road. She'll be joined by newly crowned Australian road race Champion Oenone Wood, tenth-ranked Ina Teutenberg and European and Danish champion Linda Villumsen.

German Ina-Yoko Teutenberg has won multiple World Cup races and over the years she has won 11 stages of Tour de l'Aude, 6 stages of the women's Tour de France and stage wins in all other major tours around the world, including three in the 2007 Women?s Tour of New Zealand. 

1999 World Champion and currently ranked number six in the world, Equipe Nurnberger Versicherung's Edita Pucinskaite of Lithuania, comes into the event on the back of a 2007 season that saw her win the women's Giro d'Italia for the second straight year. Also in her team are 2005 Wellington World Cup winner and 2002 world junior champion Suzanne de Goede from the Netherlands; 2005 World Champion Regina Schleicher from Germany, who has won six stages in the women?s Giro de Italia as well as world cups in France and Spain; the 2004 and 2005 European champion and 2006 German road champion Charlotte Becker.

Sweden's Susanne Ljungskog, (Menikini - Selle Italia) is a two-time World Champion (2002 and 2003) who returns to New Zealand for the fourth year running. Ljungskog won last year?s Tour de l'Aude in France.

The stellar line up of talent also includes reigning Olympic Champion Sara Carrigan, who will race in the Lotto-Belisol Ladies Team.

2006 time trial World Champion and three times US Champion Kristin Armstrong and 2005 time trial World Champion Karin Thurig, from Switzerland, will line up with New Zealand number one Joanne Kiesanowski for the Cervelo-Lifeforce team.

Number one pro team Webcor Builders Team from the United States is sending a champion line up including Canada's reigning road and time trial Champion Gina Grain, 2006 dual Canadian Champion Alex Wrubleski and 2006 World Championship bronze medallist, American Christine Thorburn.

Team Vrienden Van Het Platteland from The Netherlands is bringing top American road rider Tina Mayolo Pic, Dutch rider Cacolien Wallaard and top Australian professionals Lorian Graham and Nikki Egyed.

Australia will be well represented with their national team made up of 2007 time trial Champion Bridie O'Donnell, 2006 pursuit national champion Peta Mullens and 2004 World Junior Points Race and 2007 Oceania Champion Amanda Spratt.

National teams from China, USA, Japan, South Africa and Ukraine as well as Aurelie Halbwachs from Mauritius will spice things in the bunch.

For the public, the best day and time to see the race will be;

Wednesday 27 February 2008 ? 2.30pm
Circuit around Fraser Park ? Avalon / Lower Hutt

Thursday 28 February
Finish stage two ? Church St ? Masterton.

Saturday 1 March
Stage four around the Miramar Peninsular. Riders will complete 12 laps of the 12 km circuit. Best advantage points are up Awa Road in Miramar.

Saturday 2 March 3.00pm
Circuit ? Lambton Quay, Wellington

any cyclist that would rather stay at home to concentrate on "the Argus" instead of riding against some of the best women cyclists in the world needs a reality check......unless she has been told alreay she is in the squad for Olympics 

Very Sad that some people just doesn't see (or just doesn't want to see) the bigger picture in terms of where ladies cycling is going!! 

I have been cycling professionally in South Africa for 11 years now and everyone will agree that the standard has improved by leaps and bounds.  I can honestly say that this is the stongest the top ladies has been since I started cycling and if we keep improving at the same rate we will be up with the world standard in the near future.

I think the girls that is in NZ at the moment has a great chance to show their legs and form and all of us will be cheering them on.  GO GIRLS!!!!