ZTR Stans Hub Bearing failure

Sidmouth

I Agree, I just need to get the right fixture/size, I need a solid Metal rod, with hole in the middle, I will go to a metal work company and get them to lathe the right sizes depening on the bearings required, Still better than a screw driver and hammer

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can always use the old bearing against the washer to press in the new bearing...

yes and no, sometimes the seat of the bearing or housing is deeper than the bearing resulting in the old bearing going halfway in with the new bearing and then difficult to remove the old one

• 2 months later...

So a few months down the line and it looks like the hubs are fine as long as you check the bearings and replace when necessary, which in may case is about every 600KM, bought 10 from bearing man,

I think these wheel manufactures put so much emphasis on weigh that they compromise on structure, which is fine if you do the maintenance, the guys that don't do checks and maintenance will be losing hubs

So a few months down the line and it looks like the hubs are fine as long as you check the bearings and replace when necessary, which in may case is about every 600KM, bought 10 from bearing man,

I think these wheel manufactures put so much emphasis on weigh that they compromise on structure, which is fine if you do the maintenance, the guys that don't do checks and maintenance will be losing hubs

Stans rear hubs do have very small balls, so they do wear out pretty fast. No cure, aside from regular maintenence and using Hope hubs on your next build.

I could not agree more, the bearing it just to small, I don't understand why they make it like this, they know it is going to fail sooner rather than later, I just pop a new bearing in every month or so, the guys that don't do there own work are just sitting on a hub waiting to fail.

Hi Sid

GEEEEE, bearings every 600km, so that is every month.

No man, something else is up!!!!

Maybe not what you want to hear, but I have 2x bikes with Hope hubbed wheels, and never had to replace a single bearing in >3 years.

Something maybe to think about.

For me, it is all about relaibility and low maintenance rather than sparing 30g here or there.

For that I go to the loo before I ride :)

Hope you get sorted soon.

Edited by NINER_boy

I could not agree more, the bearing it just to small, I don't understand why they make it like this, they know it is going to fail sooner rather than later, I just pop a new bearing in every month or so, the guys that don't do there own work are just sitting on a hub waiting to fail.

You nailed it your last post. Weight weenie-ism.

I don't complain too loudly though, more work for me...

Hi Niner

I could not agree more, when I bought the wheel set I did not have all the knowledge, HOPE STANS all the same to me.

With time I have gained experience and I totally agree Hope hubs are better, the bearing is bigger and a hell of a lot more durable.

I now just change the bearing as part of the course so that the damn thing does not fail on the road, I bet some of them could last a bit longer but I don’t risk it and the bearing are rather cheap.

The Hub manufactures market on weight, yes they may be light but no one mentions the pitfall of high maintenance.

If you don’t catch it quick enough the bearing seizes, as the outer bearing case rubs the casing wall of the hub, in effect destroying the hub, maybe that is why you see so many guys riding on a stans wheel set with a replaced rear Hope Hub,

But the irony is that Stans get its right on the front hub with bigger bearings, there is less load on the front, I just don’t get.

Edited by Sidmouth

• 1 year later...

Since the brains trust is already here...

I have a Stans rear hub that's just had all 4 bearings replaced. When it's back on the bike, bolted in (x12), there's a tiny bit of play. Driving me mad. Have tightened everything, checked everything...

Cannot believe u r only getting 600km on a set of wheel bearings. Either the hubs are rubbish or you are replacing them incorrectly. I could not live with this or regard it as even vaguely normal.

I have over a year and 1000s of km on my DT Swiss hubs....and even much more than that on older bikes.

Edited by JXV

Cannot believe u r only getting 600km on a set of wheel bearings. Either the hubs are rubbish or you are replacing them incorrectly. I could not live with this or regard it as even vaguely normal.

I have over a year and 1000s of km on my DT Swiss hubs....and even much more than that on older bikes.

You're comparing dt Swiss to stans. There is no comparison

I replaced my stans hub bearings (back and front) that were enduro brand with cheap NBK bearing from bearing man. Over 800km later no problems, tapped them in with a spark plug tool no problem.

Did the same job with my road bike still running perfectly.

Honestly sounds like luck of the draw....

Maybe its just me but how can you install a bearing incorrectly?

Only thing I can think of is not seating it properly in which case it would not fit together again anyway.

Anything else?

Simply: pressing on the inside race in order to install.

Previously there were only a handful of Hubbers that really knew their stuff and had the expertise with regards to wheels, hubs, spokes, nipples, rims, bearings and related matters. Currently it is less than a handful..........

Carry on........