Drive Train Problems, Advise needed...

Shepherd

Hi Everyone,

Needing some help please with my drive train.

Firstly What I Have:

CRANKSET: Custom SRAM S-1250, 7050 alloy arms, 10-speed XC double, PF30 spindle, 175mm

FRONT DERAILLEUR: SRAM X7, 10-speed, 34.9mm clamp, top pull

REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano XT Shadow Plus, 10-speed, SGS long cage

SHIFT LEVERS: Shimano SLX, 10-speed, trigger

CASSETTE: SRAM PG-1030, 10-speed, 11-36

CHAIN: SRAM PC 1031, 10-speed, PowerLink

Now My Problems:

- Bad Chain Slap, with clutch on and off...

- Keep dropping the chain off the big front ring, I have tuned it and had the shop tune it, even lowering the mount a touch but still after about 20km of riding the problem starts up again..

- Sometimes when standing to power up a small climb the back gears would skip up one and then back down, mainly on the smaller cassette gears... On the stand the gears shift perfectly even on the trail its perfect, just when I stand up to power up a short hill it would jump every now and then. Limit screws are set and tension on cable is great for fast and smooth shifting.

- This weekend my chain kept hoping off the bottom jockey free wheel of the Rear Derailleur jamming it between the cage and the free wheel. When I took it apart nothing seemed to be wrong despite seeing it wobble and throw the chain off while on the trail and stopping to unjam it.

- Lastly the chain seems to have a bad flex in it, but since the beginning. Its been measured and not worn to the point of replacing it

Bike is about 3-4 months old, done about 850kms and bought it brand new so first owner.

I have never been a Shimano fan, none of the derailleurs I have had worked great and also been fussy.

I am thinking of replacing it with a SRAM X9 type 2, most likely a medium cage since is a 2X10 setup and perhaps a new chain

However would this help solve the problems I am having or must I check somewhere else for the cause of these problems before spending the money?

Thanks in advance for your help, looking forward to your feedback.

Kind Regards,

Tim

Not really on expert on your strange issues but keep in mind if you change to an X9 Type II RD you also need to change the shifters ....

Might be silly question but have you checked your chain for stretch.

If you move the bottom arm on the derailleur is there resistance as there has been issues with the clutch system that controls the "slap" tension. There is a small tab on a plate that has broken off in the past in the mechanism which Shimano will replace (1 or 2 yr warranty)

My Shimano system works smoothly even under pressure

Might be silly question but have you checked your chain for stretch.

If you move the bottom arm on the derailleur is there resistance as there has been issues with the clutch system that controls the "slap" tension. There is a small tab on a plate that has broken off in the past in the mechanism which Shimano will replace (1 or 2 yr warranty)

My Shimano system works smoothly even under pressure

Thanks, where is the tab located so I can look for this?

I haven't noticed a big difference in tension when the clutch is activated very not.

The shop did measure for stretch and chain is still fine, I further measured it from center of pin to center of pin, it still measures 1" so nothing wrong there.

Chain just seems soft and flexible....

Not really on expert on your strange issues but keep in mind if you change to an X9 Type II RD you also need to change the shifters ....

So you cant use the SLX shifters with the SRAM 10 speed derailleur?

Shouldnt be a big problem, will buy a new back shifter for now, planning on going 1 X 10 at a later stage.

is it a duel suspension bike?

I've had gears behave badly because the cable housing down by the BB was to short. Thus when the suspension sags, it's would influence the length of the cable running from the shifter to the derailleur.

You should measure your chain over 12inch at least.

That tab is inside the clutch mechanism - I will see this evening if I can find a link to a picture.

There is a big difference with the clutch on or off.

Try google for both chain length and faulty clutch - my son had hassles with clutch but sorted now.

Any chance the chain is just too long?

That would explain the lack of tension thus all the problems?

The derailleur can only do so much work but if the chain is too long it will cause havoc.

This weekend my chain kept hoping off the bottom jockey free wheel of the Rear Derailleur jamming it between the cage and the free wheel. When I took it apart nothing seemed to be wrong despite seeing it wobble and throw the chain off while on the trail and stopping to unjam it.

I had the same, change the jockey wheel. It is done, finished,

Am I correct in saying you have a spez stumpy? Only problem that I have had was the chain that went in-between the jockey wheel and body and messed it up completely

Thanks guys...

Importantly I did not measure over a 12" distance, will remeasure tonight and update.

Not sure if it is too long, its had this problem since new and its the recommended chain for this system...

Lastly just thought about it, do I really need to change the SLX shifters if I put a SRAM 10-speed RearD on? My FrontD is a SRAM X7 and using SLX 2-Speed shifter for this???

I will change the jockey wheels, but would rather change the derailleur to a SRAM thus my questions to my problems... I do prefer SRAM over Shimano but would this fix my problem with the change, and also would Medium cage length be better than the long that came with the bike?

I am assuming I would be fine with a medium cage, even if later on I changed to a 1X10 setup... but not a 1X11...

Edited by Shepherd

Am I correct in saying you have a spez stumpy? Only problem that I have had was the chain that went in-between the jockey wheel and body and messed it up completely

Yes I have a 2014 Specialized Stumpjumper HT Carbon Comp.... thats a mouth full... hahaha

No they are not compatible

I was curious because my FrontD is a SRAM X7 and the shifter is an SLX...? Surely the back should work then as well?

I was curious because my FrontD is a SRAM X7 and the shifter is an SLX...? Surely the back should work then as well?

Fronts are compatible but rear not

I might be wrong, but the ratio between SRAM and Shimano is different Sram 1:1 and Shim 1:2. Front derailer you can put any make on, but rear derailler has to be model specific