MTB 3x8 to 2x10 - is it worth it?

Rouxenator

Since I started cycling I have stuck with Alivio : 3 (22-32-44) by 8 (11-32).

Will it be hard for me to climb if I go for a 2x10 setup? Do you get any affordable ones that are more focused on climbing than speed?

Any advice will be welcome.

Short answer - no it won't be difficult.

If you go for a 24/36 front combo with an 11-36 rear you'll actually have an easier gear or 2 in reserve. That's due to the max 32 tooth ring on the back that you have at the moment. You'll have less top end, but your climbing will be easier.

In your 3x8 you currently have a 22:32 as your lightest gear. In the setup cpt described you will have a 24:36 which is the equivalent of a 22:33. So you'll pretty much be in the same gear.

I did the exact same switch in 2012. Didn't even notice. You get used to it very quickly, and the fact that you don't change your front gear that often is a big difference.

The one thing I did notice was that the higher end components perform much better than the lower end components, particularly in muddy conditions. So any change from Alivio to (as an example) SLX would make a big difference to your riding.

If you are in the front of the bunch and every second counts. Then 2X10 and even 1X11 makes sense. If you play at the middle and stop to chat at the waterpoints, No.

3X8 are also a lot cheaper.

I replace my chain rather frequently. Measure after every ride and if it is streched(worn) past 0.5 then I replace it . This saves me from having to replace the whole drive train again.

The cumulative difference between a 10 speed and an 8 speed chain acounts for a few race entries.

Maybe I am just cheap.

My next build will be more robust. I'll make my legs faster to make up the difference.

I'm mid to back of the field so time does not worry me. To me every ride is a fun ride.

Good to hear that since I am used to 3x8 I will have pretty much the same "granny" when I go to 2x10.

What is the cheapest 2x10 setup currently? Deore XT? How much does it go for?

Fixed! Also IMHO :whistling:

LOL - never going back to 26er and if they ever make a 32er I'll buy it. Bigger is better. Still ride my wife's 26er sometimes, it is an extra small Silverback, nimble and small like a trick bike but I'm a cruiser kinda guy.

I think since I cope well on 3x8 Alivio the 2x10 <something better> will be a nice upgrade with no performance penalty.

If your current gearing needs replacing then 2x10 is a completely average thing to do.

If your current gearing is still in stood nick then all you're doing by"upgrading" to 2x10 is wasting money.

There is zero benefit to 2x10 - gearing is all about ratios. Whether those ratios come in 1x11, 2x10 or 3xanthong is irrelevant.

I'm mid to back of the field so time does not worry me. To me every ride is a fun ride.

Good to hear that since I am used to 3x8 I will have pretty much the same "granny" when I go to 2x10.

What is the cheapest 2x10 setup currently? Deore XT? How much does it go for?

cheapest would be Deore or SRAM X5. Don't know the pricing, but there are some deals to be found.

I have very little mechanical sympathy and my Alivio setups typically lasts about 2500km. I think it is just about half way now so I am in no hurry to get something new. If I do get something new I'll try to stick as close to possible to what my bike is suppose to come with, which is XT 2x10.

I have very little mechanical sympathy and my Alivio setups typically lasts about 2500km. I think it is just about half way now so I am in no hurry to get something new. If I do get something new I'll try to stick as close to possible to what my bike is suppose to come with, which is XT 2x10.

If quality is your first leading priority then you can't go wrong with XT. Of course there is XTR but you'll need to sell your mother/sister/kidney for that :-)

If you want to balance price/quality then look at SLX - there's been a lot of trickle down tech to SLX - great bang for buck group.

If quality is your first leading priority then you can't go wrong with XT. Of course there is XTR but you'll need to sell your mother/sister/kidney for that :-)

If you want to balance price/quality then look at SLX - there's been a lot of trickle down tech to SLX - great bang for buck group.

100%

Of all the options available now - I'd say the best value is the SLX / X7 / X9 series of components. SO much trickledown.

Two of the most amazing things to happen to Mountain Biking.

29er

2x10

But that is IMHO.

Seriously?

IMHO it would be suspension and STAN the tubeless man

LOL - never going back to 26er and if they ever make a 32er I'll buy it. Bigger is better. Still ride my wife's 26er sometimes, it is an extra small Silverback, nimble and small like a trick bike but I'm a cruiser kinda guy.

I think since I cope well on 3x8 Alivio the 2x10 <something better> will be a nice upgrade with no performance penalty.

post-16512-0-73298200-1392886365_thumb.jpg