tinusm

Hi guys.

I am posed with a bit of a problem.

I am looking at buying a entry level MTB.

The plan is to ride once during the week and then over the weekends. Then doing at least one fun ride (about 10km) every 2 months.

I am about 1.7 tall. (Read short).

I have been looking at the Axis A60 (26'') hydraulic disc brakes or the Trek Marlin (29'') with mechanical disc brakes.

The issue now is... do i go for a 26'' with better specs or for a 29'' and maybe look to upgrade components later.

Alternatively the secondhand market is a entirely different prospect, but it does come down to the same question 29'' / 650b small frame (not too common for a good price) or a 26'' with reasonable specs (because everyone seems to be selling them to upgrade to 29'')?

Please help?

Doesn't really matter, if you like the sport you are going to upgrade buy a better bike within a year anyway...

But in my very biased opinion - the slightly better specs won't make up for the smaller wheels, and when you upgrade within a year you will be sitting with the same problem all those other people trying to flog their 26ers are sitting with now.

Edit - seems I might be misunderstood

Edited by Skubarra

For your riding wheel size will not matter but better components will be a plus - you will never upgrade. If the bug does bite get the right bike for the type of riding you do.

Judging by your size, you should go 650b. There are plenty of options out there for entry level bikes. Titan, Momsen, Merida all have good priced bikes.